Hardware This is why you don't buy laptops for gaming.

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 9,446
  • Replies 113
  • Likes 4
D

Deleted User

OP
A week ago I got a new laptop. It costed roughly $2000AUD. It looked cool at the store, AMD A12 CPU, 16 GB RAM and a 4k graphics card (whatever that means, it outputs 1080p).

I played a copy of Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun which I purchased from GOG. With the graphics set to "low" the game runs at about 25 fps. Not ideal, but good enough for me. The game is fun.

I was thinking of buying Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm Legacy off Steam. But I thought that before buying it I should first see how it runs using a copy obtained from a certain Swedish torrent site. I was like wow, the graphics are amazing. It's a shame the game runs at 10fps. I really, really wanted to play this game. Sooner or later I'll get a PS4/XBONE but for the time being I have to skip it.

If you want to play PC games buy a desktop, not a laptop.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Like migles said, check your power saving options and set everything to max performance.
And yeh, relying on a intergrated GFX card like Intel is a sure recipe for sluggish games.

CheatFreak47

Catgirl Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A week ago I got a new laptop. It costed roughly $2000AUD. It looked cool at the store, AMD A12 CPU, 16 GB RAM and a 4k graphics card (whatever that means, it outputs 1080p).

I played a copy of Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun which I purchased from GOG. With the graphics set to "low" the game runs at about 25 fps. Not ideal, but good enough for me. The game is fun.

I was thinking of buying Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm Legacy off Steam. But I thought that before buying it I should first see how it runs using a copy obtained from a certain Swedish torrent site. I was like wow, the graphics are amazing. It's a shame the game runs at 10fps. I really, really wanted to play this game. Sooner or later I'll get a PS4/XBONE but for the time being I have to skip it.

Are you sure you aren't accidentally having games using the CPU's integrated graphics mode?
What Graphics Card does it actually have, that is important information.

D

Deleted-355425

OP
Sometimes you have to assign the dedicated gfx card to be used for particular games/apps so check that it’s not using the on board on instead.

Reactions: TeamScriptKiddies

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

you should try checking this site, enter the game your thinking of playing and it will run a system check and tell you:
https://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri

but yea laptops are always crap for gaming, unless you shell out for a shit hot system. but most retail laptops use old recycled parts.

makes me laugh when you see CURRYS PC WORLD advertise laptops claiming SUPER FAST BLAH BLAH CRAP INTEL PROCESSOR.... yup but they dont tell you how it actually performs.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Byokugen

Unit_01
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
you should try checking this site, enter the game your thinking of playing and it will run a system check and tell you:
https://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri

but yea laptops are always crap for gaming, unless you shell out for a shit hot system. but most retail laptops use old recycled parts.

makes me laugh when you see CURRYS PC WORLD advertise laptops claiming SUPER FAST BLAH BLAH CRAP INTEL PROCESSOR.... yup but they dont tell you how it actually performs.
I believe you mean Intel C2D, Crap2Duo

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

You got ripped off. AMD APUs are terrible for pretty much anything, gaming included. They're also really cheap so there's no justification for that price tag.

My gaming laptop that cost about the same as yours over 4 years ago still runs almost anything i throw at it on high settings and 1080p. But it's running an Ivy Bridge i7 and a Radeon HD7970M.
I briefly tried a laptop with an AMD APU (A10) and a HD7970M before I got this one, it was tempting because it seemed like a really good deal, but it wasn't. The APU was bottlenecking everything and even Windows and programs were slightly sluggish. I promptly returned it and got this one instead for 50% more, and I've been using it ever since. It runs everything the other one struggled with easily, even though it's the same GPU. Goes to show how terrible these APUs really are.

Bottom line, you can get a gaming laptop that works. You just have to do some research and not buy the first thing you see.
I suggest you return that laptop if you haven't already and look for one with an i5 or i7.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

CheatFreak47

Catgirl Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You got ripped off. AMD APUs are terrible for pretty much anything, gaming included. They're also really cheap so there's no justification for that price tag.

My gaming laptop that cost about the same as yours over 4 years ago still runs almost anything i throw at it on high settings and 1080p. But it's running an Ivy Bridge i7 and a Radeon HD7970M.
I briefly tried a laptop with an AMD APU (A10) and a HD7970M before I got this one, it was tempting because it seemed like a really good deal, but it wasn't. The APU was bottlenecking everything and even Windows and programs were slightly sluggish. I promptly returned it and got this one instead for 50% more, and I've been using it ever since. It runs everything the other one struggled with easily, even though it's the same GPU. Goes to show how terrible these APUs really are.
Chances are the bulk of what he paid for is a mobile dedicated GPU that he isn't using by mistake (common user error)
And also... AMD CPUs are far better than they used to be, and CPU performance isn't usually the driving force behind PC gaming anyway. A weak CPU will of course bottleneck performance in the right situation, but the OP opted for preaching that gaming laptops are shit instead of asking for help like he should have.

Maybe he should've posted some actual specs too.
There's no way he paid 2000$ AUD (about 1600$ US) for a laptop without a dedicated GPU- especially if it's being marketed as a Gaming laptop.
Unless the OP is a colossal idiot.

Last edited by CheatFreak47,

RaptorDMG

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It seems like you rushed into buying a laptop you should always shop around for the best deal with expensive laptops. In the UK I could buy a gaming laptop with an 7th gen I7, gtx 1060 and 16gb of ram and a good amount of storage for the same price.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Chances are the bulk of what he paid for is a mobile dedicated GPU that he isn't using by mistake (common user error)
And also... AMD CPUs are far better than they used to be, and CPU performance isn't usually the driving force behind PC gaming anyway. A weak CPU will of course bottleneck performance in the right situation, but the OP opted for preaching that gaming laptops are shit instead of asking for help like he should have.

Maybe he should've posted some actual specs too.
There's no way he paid 2000$ AUD (about 1600$ US) for a laptop without a dedicated GPU- especially if it's being marketed as a Gaming laptop.
Unless the OP is a colossal idiot.
Many games these days are CPU bound to some degree, although with a decent CPU that usually isn't a problem. With a price like that I can only assume that the PC has a pretty beefy graphics card but is being held back by the AMD APU, like the laptop I owned for a few days.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    my school has a chrome extension called light speed filter agent and it legit blocks YouTube pfps since the file cdn(I think aka yt3.ggpht.com) is classed as mature
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    mhm
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    they have other stuff like goguardian too
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Ours mainly relied on the router, I believe.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    our school network and chrome policies block stuff too
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    alot of yt to mp3 sites are blocked by light speed for "Security"
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was easy to bypass some of the restrictions, as one of the admins left a registry key in the administrative shares drive, which allowed me to get around the blocking of some sites.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    tf does tta mean
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    yeah this is chrome os
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    cant do shit
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Wdym 'TTA'?
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    that* as in why yt to mp3 sites are blocked for security
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Remember when YouTubetoMP3 was a thing back in the 2010s?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Until YT updated some stuffs and broke the website.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    I was 2 in 2010
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Oh lol
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    This was in the Minecraft-era.
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    lol Bun rockin out at 2 :rofl2:
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    same tbh