Gaming This feels disgusting: Investor hope that Switch fail so Nintendo would put all their effort for Mob

D

Deleted-379826

WHAT?! No no no! JUST NO! You want their legendary handhelds (Okay I guess this is a hybrid) to FALL?! BECAUSE MOBILE GAMES! Please stop going crazy O.o

Reactions: SirHaxALot

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes nintendo would make a loss if the switch failed, that's obvious. But these investors want it to fail so that nintendo goes full on into mobile games and (in their mind) make record profits which eclipse the loss the switch caused.
So not only do these investors think Switch completely failing wouldn't hurt the company too much, but somehow only having mobile will not only get profits back, but exceed expectations and sustain them? A market that is in an even more unpredictable and shaky moment right now? That's too much of a leap and too much of a risk. How can they even think this way?

Not only that, they only care about them in the short term. If a company doesn't exist in five years, they don't care.
That explains it.

dimmidice

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Nintendo could very well pull a one eighty by firing all of their old investors and get new ones instead.

....firing investors? lolwut.

So not only do these investors think Switch completely failing wouldn't hurt the company too much, but somehow only having mobile will not only get profits back, but exceed expectations and sustain them? A market that is in an even more unpredictable and shaky moment right now? That's too much of a leap and too much of a risk. How can they even think this way?

That explains it.

Because the mobile market is huge and still only growing. Handheld market is shrinking.

Last edited by dimmidice,
Reactions: zoogie

RepeatingDigits

Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
As an investor myself, let me tell you this: we don't give a crap about the companies we're investing in. We just see news, graphs and predictions, we move money in seconds. For example, I'm currently investing around US $7200 on an airline's stock. You think I know anything else other than the name and the graphs? All I care is profits. Their long term plans are worthless to me.
Now of course I do care about Nintendo and can safely say whoever said that has 0 understanding of what Nintendo actually does, or the industry as a whole.
Which was pretty obvious if you think the future is on shitty mobile apps with ads and bad gameplay.
Just keep in mind what I said. Investors barely know anything about companies other than the name and some graphs.

Reactions: Nightwish

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
As an investor myself, let me tell you this: we don't give a crap about the companies we're investing in. We just see news, graphs and predictions, we move money in seconds. For example, I'm currently investing around US $7200 on an airline's stock. You think I know anything else other than the name and the graphs? All I care is profits. Their long term plans are worthless to me.
Now of course I do care about Nintendo and can safely say whoever said that has 0 understanding of what Nintendo actually does, or the industry as a whole.
Which was pretty obvious if you think the future is on shitty mobile apps with ads and bad gameplay.
Just keep in mind what I said. Investors barely know anything about companies other than the name and some graphs.
That sounds a little broken to me. But I played a board game called Stock Ticker so I suppose I understand.

Apex

Trophies
XP
Country
Maybe we're thinking about this backwards. Imagine if Nintendo did put their full effort into the Mobile market: by setting the bar higher with great games, and potentially improving functionality of mobile games in general, it could make the mobile market a much better place for "hardcore gamers".

Besides, more money earned = more money that can be spent. More people developing Zelda means faster turn around time for Zelda games at high quality. Furthermore, I'd rather not be buying 3-5 different devices per generation, cutting two several hundred dollar systems out of the equation is fine with me.

These are just potential things that could happen if Nintendo did go all in on mobile.

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Except the mobile market is novelty based. Games get interest only if they are new. Pokemon Go? Hell yes! But only for a couple months. Pokemon Neo? meh. Mario Run? Fuck yes Mario! Mario Widdershins? Oh yeah sure. Mario Ultra? meh, ignore.

Profits in the Mobile market are not sustainable. Once the initial novelty of Nintendo games on mobile wears off, it'll just be another game for mobile and who the fuck cares about those? One of the things that make Nintendo games special is how protected they are, and how they are effectively exclusive to gamers with the right hardware and can only be pined over by the "have-nots." When was the lat time a Sega game that released on all the consoles had as much enthusiasm as even Color Splash?

Nightwish

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
That sounds a little broken to me. But I played a board game called Stock Ticker so I suppose I understand.

Of course it's completely broken, that's why there's a major economic crisis every 8 years or so and, depending on the economical model and hence papers you believe (because it's really not a science), many other social-economic problems. There is no incentive to plan long term anymore, which is made worse by a 24-hour news cycle endlessly discussing every little thing that happens.

Except the mobile market is novelty based. Games get interest only if they are new.
[...]
Profits in the Mobile market are not sustainable. Once the initial novelty of Nintendo games on mobile wears off, it'll just be another game for mobile and who the fuck cares about those?
I don't disagree with you, but I just want to point out reality is always more complicated.
A lot of entertainment is novelty based, that's just how it is. Star Citizen and No Man's Sky made tons of money by being novelty based. The Wii and the DS were novelty based. But even the mobile market has companies that have been successful for a while.
Also, it's not just mobile that's saturated, there's tons of games coming out on every single weekday, it's the sign of a healthy and developed market - altough it's not a perfect way to finance art, I don't have a better idea other than adding patronage (kickstarter, EA and such).

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
These are the same people who invested millions when Pokemon Go, then pulled out when they realized Nintendo had nothing to do with it.
Investors are dumb and clearly don't know the companies they represent.

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If investors really want to make a profit without running Nintendo completely in the ground, having Nintendo franchises on other consoles would bring in a big chunk of money as way more people already have either a PS4, Xbox One, or PC.

This of course would bother fans who play on Nintendo consoles for the gimmicks and not the games themselves. for example SM64 and Sunshine were great games that would play just fine on Xbox One and PS4 without losing the ambiance of playing Nintendo titles as the N64 and GameCube did not need controller gimmicks to make games that were great.

Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie XBLA is also more proof that games that existed on only Nintendo consoles can play the same on another console without ruining the experience.
granted this was only possible as both games were property of Rare and not Nintendo. This was a good thing as the XBLA release is the definitive way to play in HD with widescreen even.
Donkey Kong 64 did not fare so well, it can be played on Wii U but only in 4:3 unless your TV can stretch the game properly (Gamepad 16:9 is SOL) and it is not remastered in any way (not as big of a deal but the widescreen is as the N64 version has it)

This is not to say that some games did not benefit from those, but the core franchises do not need anything other than the Pro controller to play them properly.
I for one am glad I can play Twilight Princess free of the motion controls and mirrored world on Wii U without resorting to Dolphin or Nintendon't with widescreen patches and I can play in HD without the issues Dolphin has and Nintendon't is SD as the Wii was so it is a wash between them.

Last edited by driverdis,

RemixDeluxe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If Nintendo did this and made their VC games able to use the official Wii U GC adapter and/or make their own N64 USB adapter, people would buy like crazy.
It's crazy they don't do this already. They really insist you buy their hardware to enjoy their content, I wonder if they can keep it up forever.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill