This feels disgusting: Investor hope that Switch fail so Nintendo would put all their effort for Mob

Discussion in 'Switch - Games & Content' started by delete12345, Oct 26, 2016.

1. delete12345
    OP

delete12345 GBAtemp Fan

Feb 27, 2010
    United States
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Full thread title:

This feels disgusting: Investor hope that Switch fail so Nintendo would put all their effort for Mobile

Source. (Wall Street Journal) (Non-paywall link)

Last edited by delete12345, Oct 26, 2016
  2. Sliter

Sliter GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 7, 2013
    Brazil
    ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
    come on invetsor, do you guys even like playing games? xp

CatmanFan, Ra1d, Rudelof and 6 others like this.
  3. TehCupcakes

TehCupcakes GBAtemp Regular

Apr 5, 2013
    United States
    "Investors" are short-sighted and don't understand the gaming industry and what it's about. Whether or not the Switch is a huge financial success, Nintendo plays a crucial role in the console gaming industry.

4. xtheman

xtheman GBAtemp Guru

Jan 28, 2016
    United States
    Fuck mobile games. They are shitty ad fulled and low quality games. I prefer a handheld if i need portable games

5. yodamerlin

yodamerlin Bok bok.

Apr 1, 2014
    This just goes to show that this is make or break for Nintendo.

6. Iamapirate

Iamapirate GBAtemp Regular

Sep 1, 2013
    I will not follow Nintendo on their trip to the mobile field, so I hope it doesn't come to that. The best games on mobile were ported from consoles (Grand Theft Auto) and the controls seriously suffered due to the assish nature of complete touch controls, so no thanks.

7. KingVamp

KingVamp Great... AETHER!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Sounds just like the people who claim they like Nintendo, but want them to go bankrupt and go 3rd party.
    You would think investors (and those gamers) would want them to succeed no matter what.

Tomato Hentai and Nightwish like this.
  8. zoogie

zoogie simple pimp tool

Nov 30, 2014
    United States
    The way investors see it, Nintendo is destroying themselves be not going mobile. They could be right you know.

I don't like mobile myself, but I'm old-fashioned and selfish. and i think a lot of you guys are too

Last edited by zoogie, Oct 26, 2016
  9. dimmidice

dimmidice GBAtemp Addict

Sep 12, 2009
    Belgium
    Nope. I'd expect investors to want to see record profits. Because that's all they care about (generally speaking). Also I can't really trust any of those "sources say" statements articles make.

Depends how you look at it. Nintendo might make a lot more money going fully mobile. But games wise it'd be disastrous. Mobile is profitable sure, but a very poor example of gaming. I'm honestly terrified that mobile gaming is going to usurp all gaming. Which would suck completely.

Last edited by dimmidice, Oct 26, 2016
    CuriousTommy and zoogie like this.
  10. jimmyleen

jimmyleen GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 28, 2016
    The investors make me think Nintendo might just be the next...Sega. :angry:

Subtle Demise likes this.
  11. Iamapirate

Sep 1, 2013
    Investors only care about $$$. Simple as that.

12. jimmyleen

jimmyleen GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 28, 2016
    Nintendo could very well pull a one eighty by firing all of their old investors and get new ones instead.

13. Iamapirate

Sep 1, 2013
    Nintendo could pull a 180 regardless. The last time they had a new president they brought out Wii and DS.

14. osaka35

osaka35 Instrucional Designer

Nov 20, 2009
    United States
    Silent Hill
    CatmanFan, Tomato Hentai and frogboy like this.
  15. KingVamp

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Because wanting them to fail, isn't asking them to be "destroyed".

Ok, but part of getting record profits is for them to succeed. It one thing to said that they think it might fail and another to say they want it to fail. Not to mention, they can do both.

So if true, they are being dumb either way. One for putting all the eggs in one basket and two, not seeing that they can profit from both.

Technically this is still Iwata idea.

Last edited by KingVamp, Oct 26, 2016
  16. dimmidice

dimmidice GBAtemp Addict

Sep 12, 2009
    Belgium
    Well, no actually. Even if the switch is a huge success its only a fraction of what they could make on the mobile market sadly. it's ridiculous how big the mobile market is. But yeah, they could do both. And they are doing both. But investors are greedy bitches who always want more and more so they want nintendo to cut the less earning branches and focus entirely on the mobile market.
    Edit: Look at pokemon GO. huge success for a few months, and it made a BILLION dollars. If not far more. Nintendo investors look at that and go "man why isn't nintendo making that stuff themselves". Mobile market is just too fucking big. You have 50 year olds playing games on their phones, but they'd never buy a handheld (again, generally speaking). Weird how that works huh?

I hope nintendo does continue with handhelds and consoles because that's "real" gaming. Mobile games are shite. a pale imitation to be honest.

Last edited by dimmidice, Oct 26, 2016
  17. zoogie

zoogie simple pimp tool

Nov 30, 2014
    United States
    The investors don't want Nintendo as a whole to fail, just the part (Switch) that they believe hinders the companies progress.

I mean, what you're claiming makes little sense. An investor of a publicly held company IS A PART OWNER OF SAID COMPANY. Wishing harm on the company is wishing harm on themselves (or their clients - which fund the investors).

Last edited by zoogie, Oct 26, 2016
  18. RustInPeace

RustInPeace Samurai Cop

Oct 13, 2014
    United States
    How come investors aren't fans themselves? Similar to wrestling, when there's a big announcement with WWE, stock could plummet and that's panic mode for them.

19. KingVamp

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Switch is a big part of Nintendo, even if they don't see it that way. They are hoping for a big part of Nintendo to fail, which somehow they think wouldn't effect the company's progress. Funny, because wishing harm on themselves is exactly what they are doing.

20. dimmidice

dimmidice GBAtemp Addict

Sep 12, 2009
    Belgium
    Yes nintendo would make a loss if the switch failed, that's obvious. But these investors want it to fail so that nintendo goes full on into mobile games and (in their mind) make record profits which eclipse the loss the switch caused.

zoogie likes this.