Things you recently bought or got

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Another review item? or changing from current board?

Sending motherboards for reviews seems a little weird. Hdds, various accesories etc, fine. Motherboards just seem a little odd, not like people just have cpus laying around or will take their current machine to bits just to review a motherboard.
Changing from my other board (which was a review board)
You can decline the review if you dont have the stuff to test it though some people just accept the board, make a fake review and sell the board after, no proof but im pretty sure people are doing it...

Reactions: VinsCool

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Went out in the sun today and went a bit buying happy

Book on marine engineering, I am only slightly less a shipbuilder than I am a civil engineer (which is to say I have enjoyed the both, played on both and technically helped build things for them but it is certainly not my game) but it is a truly fascinating book.
tbog_jul_marine_1.JPG

tbog_jul_marine_2.JPG

tbog_jul_marine_3.JPG

and a copy of general engineering workshop practice. Technically I have it already have it and posted some stuff from it somewhere else in this thread, however this was a very clean copy so I thought I would have it.

I quite like old measuring instruments, this is not quite what I normally go for but I still enjoy it
tbog_jul_cool_tools.JPG

Normally I am a gentleman of leather when it comes to tool rolls but nice ones like that I will go for when they are going for next to nothing. Also a £1 hammer for my collection of crap hammers.
tbog_jul_cool_tools_2.JPG

I am not a fan of lord of the rings, be it the books or the films or anything like that really (games are pretty OK as these things go). Still liking this thing so far though.
tbog_jul_bestiary_1.JPG

tbog_jul_bestiary_2.JPG

and shock of all shocks the charity shop had some games in it other than sing your way to fitness with dance and football sports. Key word there is did, unless you want a copy of Halo 2 I guess.
tbog_jul_games.JPG

Attachments

• tbog_jul_general_engineering_workshop_practice_2.JPG
    tbog_jul_general_engineering_workshop_practice_2.JPG
    64.3 KB · Views: 118
Reactions: VinsCool

emmanu888

6 years and still going strong
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Posted 52 minutes ago... have any games loaded yet? :P You'll be wanting a 1581 emulator soon :)

I'll probably try to either get a C64SD or a 1541 Ultimate so i can load disk games. But for now even if i'm limited to tape games that are buggy because they're all from Europe so they all rely on PAL timing.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll probably try to either get a C64SD or a 1541 Ultimate so i can load disk games. But for now even if i'm limited to tape games that are buggy because they're all from Europe so they all rely on PAL timing.
I am not entirely sure why did most PAL region games run at lower frame rate than NTSC region games? It just seem silly that it is that way. :unsure:

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
I am not entirely sure why did most PAL region games run at lower frame rate than NTSC region games? It just seem silly that it is that way. :unsure:
It's because of the way AC electricity worked in the old old days. Around in the UK, electricity ran at 50hz to eliminate the noticeable flickering of electric light bulbs (if you run a low frequency current through light bulbs, they'll flicker on and off. If you run it at a higher frequency, like 50hz, the flicker is still present but is quicker than the human eye can detect so it appears constant). When televisions became a common thing in homes, they had to be created so the images could be displayed with this 50hz refresh rate in mind.

The standard in the US was 60hz for literally no reason at all beyond the fact that America (at the time) wanted their own monopoly on electronics and things at the time, because money.

So, when video games became a thing, they had to be modified to run at these slower refresh rates for the PAL format which caused the games to run slower. This, of course, is a thing of the past. Once HD TVs, and 1080p/60hz, became standard this no longer happened.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's because of the way AC electricity worked in the old old days. Around in the UK, electricity ran at 50hz to eliminate the noticeable flickering of electric light bulbs (if you run a low frequency current through light bulbs, they'll flicker on and off. If you run it at a higher frequency, like 50hz, the flicker is still present but is quicker than the human eye can detect so it appears constant). When televisions became a common thing in homes, they had to be created so the images could be displayed with this 50hz refresh rate in mind.

The standard in the US was 60hz for literally no reason at all beyond the fact that America (at the time) wanted their own monopoly on electronics and things at the time, because money.

So, when video games became a thing, they had to be modified to run at these slower refresh rates for the PAL format which caused the games to run slower. This, of course, is a thing of the past. Once HD TVs, and 1080p/60hz, became standard this no longer happened.
Well i can't wait for tv to go at higher Speed... Reminds me of how when we used to have games like Street fighter 2 Turbo and you can set the speed higher. :)

I miss when games had that option, is like frame skip built into your game, Almost like Chrono corss. :P

Let's Aim for 240 FPS a second. :D

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada

RevPokemon

GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/shdHKa4iBbE?si=Vnb_FMMV54y2aarW lol Mario give me cancer