Do you buy LEGO sets?

Marc_LFD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I like building LEGO sets though I don't feel like paying the prices they go for, so instead if I do want that LEGO experience, I just buy some knockoff from AliExpress. :P

Recently, I bought this racing car and it looks good from the pictures so excited to receive it. :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231016_190356_AliExpress(1).jpg
    Screenshot_20231016_190356_AliExpress(1).jpg
    786.1 KB · Views: 27

BigOnYa

Has A Very Big
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've recently seen people uploading they're (LARGE) projects on 3D Print websites, using copycat lego bricks that you 3D print out yourself, in different sizes and colors. Then once 3D printed all pieces from the list, you watch/or print assembly instructions. I bet it would take alot of time and dedication to 3D print that many pieces though. But hey, why not?

Lostbhoy

HEY YOU GUYS!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Does the lego star wars games count if you bought them all individually at the time?? I actually recieved this from my Daughter for my last birthday and had fun putting it together! Its smaller lego but.. Yeah... I love it!

16974930840056853634380160525791.jpg 16974931878364021463768769442043.jpg

Reactions: BigOnYa

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't usually buy Lego sets, but I was 100% prepared to buy the sick-ass fan designed Lego Ideas Sonic Mania set when it came to shelves:
1697493379417.png

It even had this cool ass "Encore Mode" alternate build that you would have been able to do with the same pieces included in the set:
1697493511983.png

But by the time it actually released, it was completely retooled, stripped of all Sonic Mania elements, and instead was now designed after basic plain-ass Sonic 1:

1697493453691.png

I guess this was done to make it more marketable and appealing to the general market, but I've always thought it was kinda lame, especially when it takes away a lot of what made the original set cool in the first place.

Luke94

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I used to have LEGO Bionicles,but no more not anymore. I even drew myself concept art of LEGO Jazz Jackrabbit.
JxZAd6e.png

I guess it originates from for instance LEGO Looney Tunes even nowadays…etc.

mrgone

old man
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I have primarily genuine sets, but also 2 "chinese" sets:
Bladerunner Cop flyer
Metal Slug "Slug"
and i am still eyeballing the akira bike

Genuine
Tie Defender (i played the game Tiefighter alot, so i wanted it) i added admiral thrawn to it, which i got by giving my nephew the "ghost"-set from rebels
Slave 2 (the big expensive set)
The cherry tree
also some star wars mini sets (a few minifigs + some small thing, like the mandalorians, a few stormtroopers, 2 speeder bikes)
i put the mandalorians into the tuk tuk
2 sets i have shared with my sister: i took what i wanted and gave her the rest :) The praying mantis from the recent insects set and the kolibri from the birds set from a few years ago

also i have a nano blocks marina bay sands hotel as the genuine lego set was japanese only and hyper expensive.
the newer singapore skyline i do have but haven't built it yet, as i don't know where to put it

i am not counting my "old" stuff, which is still somewhere at my parents place (mainly old space stuff including the space train)

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Personally no, rather annoyingly though I do see the odd set I would buy if it was a regular statue or even just an 'action figure' type thing because I dislike the blocky look of lego.

And before anyone says "these are kids toys", believe it or not but according to some staff I know, officially this is/was age restricted:
https://www.argos.co.uk/product/9635490

(Note: of course the staff ignores the prompts, it's just the system is mis-configured).

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I regularly buy sets for my kids.

I would buy some of the Ideas or Icons sets because they're neat but they are prohibitively expensive.
But since they would just be display pieces and I have no intention of disassembling them and making something else, I'm not above buying bootleg sets which are seriously dirt cheap. I recently ordered the Optimus Prime set for $35, the original is $180 :huh:
Metal Slug "Slug"

I've been eyeing the Slug

1704645391257.png

But then I saw they made the entire arcade cabinet so now I'm eyeing the Metal Slug 3 arcade cabinet set:
1704645344662.png

I've recently seen people uploading they're (LARGE) projects on 3D Print websites, using copycat lego bricks that you 3D print out yourself, in different sizes and colors. Then once 3D printed all pieces from the list, you watch/or print assembly instructions. I bet it would take alot of time and dedication to 3D print that many pieces though. But hey, why not?
Wuuuut.
If you're 3D printing, why not just print the finished design and be done with it? Getting the tolerances right on elements so that they fit together without sanding and/or gluing is a horrible pain in the ass.

What I've seen people do is get a parts list of a MOC they want to build, and then order individual (bootleg) pieces from Gobricks.

mrgone

old man
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I regularly buy sets for my kids.

I would buy some of the Ideas or Icons sets because they're neat but they are prohibitively expensive.
But since they would just be display pieces and I have no intention of disassembling them and making something else, I'm not above buying bootleg sets which are seriously dirt cheap. I recently ordered the Optimus Prime set for $35, the original is $180 :huh:

I've been eyeing the Slug

But then I saw they made the entire arcade cabinet so now I'm eyeing the Metal Slug 3 arcade cabinet set:

Wuuuut.
If you're 3D printing, why not just print the finished design and be done with it? Getting the tolerances right on elements so that they fit together without sanding and/or gluing is a horrible pain in the ass.

What I've seen people do is get a parts list of a MOC they want to build, and then order individual (bootleg) pieces from Gobricks.
this is mine, the cabinet is cure, but i prefer the slug
1704726147616.png

Reactions: Veho

Latiodile

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
yes, but only car sets like Speed Champions, the DeLorean, ford fastback and whatnot
i'm too poor for the expensive sets, so i usually just buy myself the speed champions cars and others buy me the bigger cars as holiday/event gifts

No but I do buy old computers like others buy lego sets.
i do this too lol

AncientBoi

THEE GAY WARLORD™ - Defender of GAY Rights
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i haven't even seen LEGO in years so i think no

I haven't seen one in deca.. :ohnoes::ohnoes::ohnoes::ohnoes::cry: :angry: Alright ! Who does this belong too ? 😡

I'm still thinking of getting a set for my old ass age. :)

Reactions: Veho and BigOnYa

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: BO1 is good, all 3 modes are good in that game