Hacking THERE IS NO REASON TO STAY ON 3.2! UPGRADE TO 4.0 PEOPLE!

Are you on 4.0? If not, why?

• Yes, I'm on 4.0 and loving all the new features!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, because I'm an idiot!

• No, because IDK how!

• No, because I hate zeros!

• No, because I think 4.0 has negatives when really all it has is positives.

• I like corn dogs!?!?

• Total voters

joshed

Trophies
Website
www.scened.info
XP
Country
United States
manias said:
joshed said:
well it wasnt a full brick, you may not even be able to call it a briock but when i went 3.3 to 4.0, no channels would install, and no trucha bug was there anymore. so i NAND restored back to 3.2 and said fuck it
well ofcourse no trucha anymore
smile.gif
And you have to install hbc/cios first
so that was not a brick or wanin's fault really

well of course i had HBC on there already, but no cIOS' or otherwise modded IOS files. SO, not to be too n00bish, but if i am on 3.2U with hbc and cIOS' already, wanin's updater should do the trick with no issues, right?

saulin

Trophies
XP
Country
Does Starfall or equivalent work on 4.0?

Does Action replay for GC work on 4.0?

Those are also some of the reasons why I kept 3.2 plus like I said I don't see anything in 4.0 that I need. Everything works fine for me on firmware 3.2U.

dimmujed

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alexrose said:
It's perfectly legal since they changed the EULA in 4.0 to allow it. When you upgrade to 4.0 you agree to the new contract they show you, which states they can update without your consent. You're not forced to install it.

And this topic's title features "THERE IS NO REASON TO STAY ON 3.2" "UPGRADE TO 4.0", not "If you complain about 3.2 upgrade". I've given a reason why I shouldn't stay on 3.2.

Except if you install 4.0 a different way, then the official way, you don't agree to anything, therefore making their EULA worthless IMO. Plus, once again, THERE IS NO AUTO UPDATE CODE! It has been picked through with a microscope, NO AUTO UPDATE!

thebobinc

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
3.2 for president !!! loll sure some of you can like the fact to go to 4.0 but ... 3.2 work really well so if you don't plan to use the SD function i don't see why you should even break your head upgrading to 4.0

surprise so many love corn dog , an only 4.23% like me : No, because I hate zeros!

tongue.gif

Alexrose

Untitled
Trophies
XP
Country
Joey Ravn said:
leemufc said:
so if your happy with 3.2 whats the point in spending all the time and effort upgrading to 4.0 and installing everything again
i personally wont update until nintendo brings something useful for me in their new firmware!!

No, obviously, if you don't want the SD menu, then it's fine not to upgrade. What I think is illogical, and that's what you seem to be missing from my previous post, is that many people don't upgrade solely because they think that 4.0 is just a "3.2 with SD support". If it's just 3.2 with a new feature, then the most natural step to take would be to upgrade, since you'll be getting the much-adored 3.2 AND SD support. You can't go wrong if you follow any of the many tutorials here in GBAtemp. And it is not an "effort" you have to make to upgrade. Or at least, it's one as big as downgrading from 3.3/upgrading to get to 3.2...

But it's completely illogical. You shouldn't get something just because it's there. If someone's handing out free samples of cheese, no thanks, they can keep it. But.. but, Alex, it's logical to take the cheese, because you'll be exactly the same as before, but 1 piece of cheese richer too! Unfortunately no; I will never use this cheese and maybe there's a small risk it'll make me throw up. Or in this case have problems, like bricking or problems installing things in the future. It works fine now, there's a chance it won't work fine if I update, there's nothing worth updating for, ergo I shall not update.

cyrex

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
dimmujed said:
Then you will be able to use all the new WiiWare, all the new disc based games w/o patches, and have the ability to store VC/WiiWare games on SD cards (even pirated ones.) and boot them off of the SD card, saving tons of space and time.

So what are the features somebody would need from 4.0??? The shitty SD feature? LOL! Who cares about crappy vc games... most of them suck. Since BL 0.3g you dont have to "patch" and games so wtf? Did you even check what you are talking about? This is the must useless thread ever seen lol.

QUOTE(dimmujed @ May 22 2009, 06:58 PM) ALSO, to end the rumors, THERE IS NO AUTO UPDATE FEATURE IN 4.0, it would be illegal, and would have to have the option to turn it on or off at will of the user.

Again you are DAMN wrong... read the the terms & conditions from Nintendo. They ARE allowed to to if they wanted to but since now there is no case know they ever did. Again you should inform yourself about the stuff you are going to write.

bubbleboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Still on 3.2. Whats the use of the SD card thing?

Why have 16 megs for bloody NES Ice Climber instead of running an emulator?

The only reason would be if you're a HUGE Nintendo 64 fan, because those games aren't emulated.

3.2 FTW

PNo4

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
cyrex said:
Again you are DAMN wrong... read the the terms & conditions from Nintendo. They ARE allowed to to if they wanted to but since now there is no case know they ever did. Again you should inform yourself about the stuff you are going to write.

EULA's don't mean jack-shit in many (if not most countries), Nintendo however would of course use it to do an AUTOUPDATE if they wanted to.

manias

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
joshed said:
manias said:
joshed said:
well it wasnt a full brick, you may not even be able to call it a briock but when i went 3.3 to 4.0, no channels would install, and no trucha bug was there anymore. so i NAND restored back to 3.2 and said fuck it
well ofcourse no trucha anymore
smile.gif
And you have to install hbc/cios first
so that was not a brick or wanin's fault really

well of course i had HBC on there already, but no cIOS' or otherwise modded IOS files. SO, not to be too n00bish, but if i am on 3.2U with hbc and cIOS' already, wanin's updater should do the trick with no issues, right?
yeah should be! cuz the updater updates ios's but leaves cios's alone, so you can use that to install and boot homebrew/usbloader/etc

Joey Ravn

F*** you, Nintendo!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Alexrose said:
But it's completely illogical. You shouldn't get something just because it's there. If someone's handing out free samples of cheese, no thanks, they can keep it. But.. but, Alex, it's logical to take the cheese, because you'll be exactly the same as before, but 1 piece of cheese richer too! Unfortunately no; I will never use this cheese and maybe there's a small risk it'll make me throw up. Or in this case have problems, like bricking or problems installing things in the future. It works fine now, there's a chance it won't work fine if I update, there's nothing worth updating for, ergo I shall not update.

First of all, I've never said you "should get something because it's there". Many people have claimed that 4.0 is just "3.2, but with a new, minor feature". If it's so, then they don't lose anything updating. They even get extended SD support. So thanks for the straw man. But also a reductio ad absurdum? You want to follow that road? Ok. If someone was giving "free bullets in the forehead", you wouldn't take it either. But how the heck does that affect your Wii version? Cheese doesn't, either. It has been proven that updating to 4.0 is completely safe as long as you follow the instructions. If you can't follow the instructions, it's only your fault, not the version's. Waninkoko's updater is perfectly fine. Moreover, what is not working in 4.0 that justifies staying at 3.2? There's also the chance of something not working if you don't update, and that would have as much basis as something having a chance of not working on 4.0.

Seriously, it seems you need someone to tell you that you're doing great staying at 3.2. I've said several times that updating is not necessary, but good nevertheless, but you seem to "forget" about that, twist my words and keep taking it as a personal attack. You really need to chill out.

BlackEnigma

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also it was 3.4 (not 4.0) that the new EULA or whatever was introduced in. I certainly don't recall anyone being automatically updated from 3.4 to 4.0

All I can think of is if you are paranoid and think, well Nintendo didn't update us from 3.4 to 4.0 because they want us to think that we are safe and lull us into a false sense of security. And then when everyone thinks they are safe massive update waves from 4.0 to whatever it is that is going to come next.

kedest

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
And for those who think that Nintendo can now auto-update on 4.0, how do you think they'll do that?
When the Wii is in idle-mode with standby internet activated? They would never do that. What if you would suddenly unplug your (secretly updating) wii because you want to take it over to a friend's house for example? That would brick it. Nintendo would never take such a risk

Digital1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
beegee7730 said:
You are an idiot.
Stop telling people what they should and should'nt do.

Well said! Who does this idiot think he is? He sure tried to put a lot of people down with his OPINION.

I hope your Wii burns up and it's out of warranty.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s