Hacking [Theory] increasing dramatically the success rate on running sysUpdate

davidlc

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
First of all let me tell you my system specs, so this applies at least to similar systems:
New 3DS XL USA Red
Firmware version: 10.3-28U

So i'm very nervous about all of this downgrading stuff, i REALLY want to downgrade so i can have CFW, but i don't want to risk it right now, mainly because my 3DS was a gift and there's no way i can afford one any time soon.
That hasn't stopped me from doing safe(ish) experiments to determine how stable this stuff may be.
So i read the reddit post by TuxSH ( https://www.reddit.com/r/3dshacks/comments/3zl47b/please_use_the_latest_version_of_sysupdater/ ) and read every comment on that subreddit and the post made here about that same link, so i decided to give it a try and only run the sysUpdater (the latest version mentioned in the sub reddit), just to see if it hangs or not.
So i did what everyone pretty much advises, that is to open HBL from menuHax, then open FTPBrony and close it, then open sysUpdater.
My first 5 attempts all resulted in either black screen or just freezing up at the options screen.
In this screen i can't do anything, if i press B to exit, it does nothing (as expected when the exploit fails to do its thing, i know this is expected).
When i got the HBL running a week ago, i downloaded retroArch and have been playing GBA with mGBA. That homebrew starts differently from FTPBrony, it looks similar to when HBL starts (i assume it executes the exploit again), some homebrews do this, others probably do the same but the colors and the debug text that appears quickly doesn't show.

So just for fun i attempt to run mGBA, close it and then run sysUpdater. Surprisingly it opens and doesn't freeze, i assume this because i can exit with B, which i couldn't do with the FTPBrony method or by just simply running sysUpdate. As mentioned before, i won't update right now, but it looks like it loads properly.

So far i've done the same from power off 5 times, every time sysUpdate starts and it lets me exit without hangs.
I repeated the FPTBrony method as well to check if this was just a lucky strike, but this way it rarely works.
I assume that if sysUpdate doesn't hang at this point, it means that it'll probably be fine downgrading. But as of execution success rate at the main menu of sysUpdate goes, it looks like it has better chance with this method. Don't quote me on that, as this may only be a very odd coincidence, but as of writting, this hasn't frozen up my console, and i've attempted it many times (at least 8, which means 8/8).

Maybe if there's some kind soul that wants to try it this way can tell us if he/she succeeded, i don't take any responsibility over anything unexpected to whoever tries this.

Also as a side note, the new sysUpdate should not brick any console... "should".

Thanks for reading

davidlc

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hehe, you're right, just sharing what i thought to be interesting, you know, some times the hype train takes you far away until you're writing a post at 1:20AM.
It may be worthless, it may help people avoid some hundred attempts.
You never know :toot:

SterneSchreien

Naughty One
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've tried for 2 hours to get it to work, either it would give me a black screen at boot (so i just turned off console and booted back into homemenuhax) or it gave me a CIA error. I kept trying and eventually it downgraded without a single error. Altho I WAS force closing ftp-3ds after every attempt as i heard people had success with it.

Of course the 4 other successful attemps gave me a soft brick but the last where i was force closing the app before launching sysUpdate didn't.

davidlc

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I've tried for 2 hours to get it to work, either it would give me a black screen at boot (so i just turned off console and booted back into homemenuhax) or it gave me a CIA error. I kept trying and eventually it downgraded without a single error. Altho I WAS force closing ftp-3ds after every attempt as i heard people had success with it.

Of course the 4 other successful attemps gave me a soft brick but the last where i was force closing the app before launching sysUpdate didn't.

Did you use the latest sysUpdate version that supposedly does things so you shouldn't get a full brick?

dark_samus3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One of the reasons many people experienced a brick was due to the way sysUpdater operated... it USED to uninstall all of the titles before downgrading, so if a fail happened it meant you had only the CIAs that had installed up to that point with a bunch of titles missing... The OTHER reason was NATIVE_FIRM was installed FIRST which meant that if something happened during the process the 9.2 NATIVE_FIRM couldn't decrypt the 10.3 titles properly which also resulted in a brick, a lot of reordering was done and there's now an algorithm to how the CIAs are installed to maximize safety, and NATIVE_FIRM is now installed last this means that if at any time during the update something happens you'll most likely have a working system or working safe mode (since the algorithm installs one first then the other) which, in theory, should be as safe as it can get without getting the stability of the exploit up

Last edited by dark_samus3,
Reactions: Deleted-236924

Professional Shitposter
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina

Oh so you had the same happen to you... My 3 "successful" attempts resulted in soft brick. I gave up and am waiting for KTM or something, but if what you say is true... though it doesn't seem to have any correlation to downgrading. Did your 4th attempt not have any error at all? Did it just reboot at the 9.2 home menu?

Ygreck

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
One of the reasons many people experienced a brick was due to the way sysUpdater operated... it USED to uninstall all of the titles before downgrading, so if a fail happened it meant you had only the CIAs that had installed up to that point with a bunch of titles missing... The OTHER reason was NATIVE_FIRM was installed FIRST which meant that if something happened during the process the 9.2 NATIVE_FIRM couldn't decrypt the 10.3 titles properly which also resulted in a brick, a lot of reordering was done and there's now an algorithm to how the CIAs are installed to maximize safety, and NATIVE_FIRM is now installed last this means that if at any time during the update something happens you'll most likely have a working system or working safe mode (since the algorithm installs one first then the other) which, in theory, should be as safe as it can get without getting the stability of the exploit up

which sysupdater version would you recommend?

SterneSchreien

Naughty One
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Oh so you had the same happen to you... My 3 "successful" attempts resulted in soft brick. I gave up and am waiting for KTM or something, but if what you say is true... though it doesn't seem to have any correlation to downgrading. Did your 4th attempt not have any error at all? Did it just reboot at the 9.2 home menu?

No errors at all, it said rebooting in 10 seconds and it did reboot in 10. What I found weird tho is that it booted with the SD even while I was using homemenuhax which isn't supposed to be happening.

Professional Shitposter
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
No errors at all, it said rebooting in 10 seconds and it did reboot in 10. What I found weird tho is that it booted with the SD even while I was using homemenuhax which isn't supposed to be happening.
Well, guess I'll try again. By force closing you mean L+R+B+Down right?

SterneSchreien

Naughty One
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It softbricked for the fourth time using that method ;-; In fact, it took so many more tries doing the FTP-3DS thing than not doing it.
Now I'm considering doing a factory reset and trying with that...

Mine softbricked 4 times before the last worked. No idea why.

Uring

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
I have downgrade with julian sysupdater 4 times and the only problem I saw is the low succes ratio on getting the app to the read the files(having to use different hax). People using the wrong files or not cheking the sha1 and md5 or a faulty sdcard are the one to blame since the last sysupdater

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/sGvT5FKSiyk?si=TYqsdjjbF-4N8Xc8