The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is getting a "next-gen" release later this year

60c724a052275a049d857d53957dc38e9347742f52372bb956d992b43efa8fb5_product_card_v2_mobile_slid.jpg

As Cyberpunk 2077 is still in the process of receiving patches to fix its gameplay and performance, CD Projekt Red isn't quite done with working on it. Neither are they quite done with The Witcher 3 just yet, as they plan to release their "next-generation update" for the game sometime before 2021's end. Nothing more than a vague release window was revealed, but Xbox Series X|S and PlayStation 5 players will be able to experience The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt natively on those platforms, without backwards compatibility. It’s also a re-reveal, as the company is in the midst of cancelling side projects currently, but they reiterate that this one is still on track. If you own the game, you’ll also be able to upgrade for free. Work on the port will be done by the development studio Saber Interactive, who also was in charge of the game's Nintendo Switch port.

:arrow: Source

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
For many people the Series S/X and PS5 will be their first venture into gaming.
Yeah but even then, odds are their parents own a copy on their platform of choice. Worst case scenario, the game is like five or ten bucks on sale. Either way I don't think anyone is expecting an update like this to generate millions in revenue, and there are plenty of examples of developers handling next-gen upgrades much worse.

CanIHazWarez

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is this new assets and other enhancements or just higher res/framerate? If the former, will PC players be getting the update?

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
With free updates to a game everybody already owns?

Taking my post seriously for a second. You’re presuming everyone owns it/the DLC and their system accepts their old copy i.e. they own physical but bought a digital system. You’re also forgetting future potential customers e.g. kids growing up.

I doubt everyone will go and buy a second hand PS4 copy when there’s a lovely PS5 logo on the box.

Making the upgrade free could also be good PR, which CDPR does need right now and for the next few years.

I’d be surprised if they don’t get a decent ROI in the next few years from the port.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I own the main game since I bought my PS4 years ago, but never played it seriously yet either.
The PSN sales on the full bundle version with 2 DLC always attracts me, the bundle price with sale is the same as one DLC without sale (9€). I'm always tempted to buy the game again to get the full pack at 9€ instead of buying DLC separately at higher price, but I don't know when I'll play the game seriously so I think it's no use to buy now something I won't play (yet).

I'll just play the wait game again until PS5 version is ready.

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i don't see the point in next gen systems getting last gen ports when they're backward compatible.

wouldn't it make sense to have next gen hardware optimize the last gen game to look/run better.

as these days all they do is crap out "remasters" when really its the same game, just looks better due to better hardware..... like we don't go around calling Conkers Bad Fur Day "remastered" when emulating it on PJ64.

vincentx77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i don't see the point in next gen systems getting last gen ports when they're backward compatible.

wouldn't it make sense to have next gen hardware optimize the last gen game to look/run better.

as these days all they do is crap out "remasters" when really its the same game, just looks better due to better hardware..... like we don't go around calling Conkers Bad Fur Day "remastered" when emulating it on PJ64.

I get what you're saying to a point, but keep in mind, this game could bring high-end gaming PCs to a crawl when it first released, at least if you got too aggressive with your settings. The console releases of this game have a LOT of room for improvement. There was also some talk of adding proper raytracing into the remaster. What I basically expect is that this will end up being a lot more like the PC version, where we'll get at least a few different presets for resolutions, quality, and framerates. This is CDPR after Cyberpunk, though, so who knows?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The Castlevania game was on the PS1 so that's cool +1