Gaming The Wii U Transfer Tool is up for download already

Kadin

Ain't no rest for the wicked...
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I just moved them over, or rather copied them, so I wouldn't have to download them again from Nintendo's server. Just save some time. It confirmed that everything I bought and didn't get into the system memory would be available to download again.

[EDIT]

Ok so it doesn't appear that anything was broken other than my VC games that I transferred now say they can't run which was expected. HBC, USB Loader GX, and all my other installed items work with zero issues (on the Wii).

Going to do a NAND restore and see what I get with that. So far, no issues...

[Edit #2]

Ok after doing the NAND restore, all the games that I left on my SD Card (everything) now play without any issues. Just loaded up Zelda (NES) and it's at the quick save screen to resume where I last played months ago.

Not sure if any of my saves are still on the SD/Wii memory but that's fine either way. Very happy to see it all worked out. And yes, the Wii Shop still works on my Wii now. I can see all the Wii U transfer history... :D

[EDIT #3]

Scratch that on the VC games all playing... it appears Paper Mario doesn't want to boot now. We'll see what else I find doesn't play.

Ok I have a sneaking suspicion that going back into the Wii Shop channel on the Wii broke the link to allow me to still play them all on my Wii. Worked fine after reboot before I went there, now none of them do. Restoring NAND once again and testing once more.

Poor Wii U, not getting much love atm. :D

Kadin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok so that was it. If you fire up the Wii Shop Channel on the original Wii after doing the transfer, it de-links everything allowing it to no longer play.

Restored NAND just let Paper Mario, Zelda, Mario, FZero and a bunch of others to play once again.

So the point of this story: Avoid the Wii Shop on your original machine if you still want to have access to your purchases there as well as on the Wii U.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
I'm sure if you REALLY wanted you could just go through each title,
transfer to NAND,
pack into WAD (with WiiMod)
Delete
and repeat for everything on the SD
Then after you've connected to the shop channel and un-linked you could just re-install your collection of backed up WAD's.
(I know it's a lengthy process but If you want to keep using the shop channel on the Wii, it'd at least be a way to let that work for you.)

tronic307

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok so that was it. If you fire up the Wii Shop Channel on the original Wii after doing the transfer, it de-links everything allowing it to no longer play.

Restored NAND just let Paper Mario, Zelda, Mario, FZero and a bunch of others to play once again.

So the point of this story: Avoid the Wii Shop on your original machine if you still want to have access to your purchases there as well as on the Wii U.
So, the transfer was successful even with HBC, right? My IOS's and shop channel are up to date, but i'm running SM 4.1U w/Priiloader. Should I perform a Wii system update before the transfer?

Kadin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, the transfer was successful even with HBC, right? My IOS's and shop channel are up to date, but i'm running SM 4.1U w/Priiloader. Should I perform a Wii system update before the transfer?
Yup to the first question. As to doing a system update, no, don't. As long as you can reach the shop channel and download the transfer tool, that's all you need.

JRDad1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I've got a question, If I store all my games on my SD card and I transfer everything over to the Wii U then restore my NAND, Can I still play the games off the SD card or do they need to be on my system?

Fuffelpups

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
How big is the Transfer Tool, how many free Blocks do i need on my Wii to download it from the Wii Shopping Channel?

tronic307

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It appears he had a hardware failure with his Wii, so i'm not really sure what would be at fault here. I do agree that this method of transfer is a bit of a hassle though.
He might have just had a corrupted save file. I wasn't taking any chances; I offloaded all out of region saves before the transfer, cause it's region locked anyway. My MK:Wii save was 100% unlocked by Ocarina codes, and still made it over.:grog:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @AncientBoi