Ryupower

Brood
Trophies
Website
techmantis.net
XP
Country
United States
i would think that all the thing you download with the wii shop on the wii, get deactivated on the Wii, then, deactivat on the wiiU (the game license is transfer to the wiiiU)
when you do transfer

Black_Knight

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From what I gather, If the license for the game that transfers so if you have a separate copy of the game on another SD card, the Wii will refuse to play it just like if you got it from a friend's Wii.

My question is, how does the transfer tool deal with unauthorized content like the HBC? Does it just ignore it, deletes it or refuses to do anything if it detects it?

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
From what I gather, If the license for the game that transfers so if you have a separate copy of the game on another SD card, the Wii will refuse to play it just like if you got it from a friend's Wii.

My question is, how does the transfer tool deal with unauthorized content like the HBC? Does it just ignore it, deletes it or refuses to do anything if it detects it?
I'm guessing it deletes it, as it seems to back up pretty much everything that you have paid for on the Wii shop plus saves and stuff, then wipe the Wii.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
I'm guessing it deletes it, as it seems to back up pretty much everything that you have paid for on the Wii shop plus saves and stuff, then wipe the Wii.
the description for the transfer tool in the shop channel said that there will be some content from the Wii that can't be transferred and I don't remember the exact wording but it seemed to say that what wasn't transferred would be left intact on the original Wii. I would assume this would include unathorized cotent. Repair shops have shown that they definitely do have to detect and eliminate anything that's fakesigned but they don't do it on a system update so there's no reason to assume they'd do the same now.

dgwillia

The Bacon Lover
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So has anyone actually tried yet? I dont mind if my stuff on my Wii gets deleted, but I dont want to get a double brick or have Nintendo Ninja's pop up in the middle of the night

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
The Wii Shop Channel checks what game licences you have simply by checking your tickets. The ones that aren't fakesigned, that is.

So if you transfer to the Wii U, wouldn't it just delete the games and tickets
And doesn't that mean that a bootmii restore would give you your games back

Have I misunderstood something here, because that seems like a really basic flaw in their system, as far as hacks are concerned

9thSage

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think there's a lot Nintendo could do to prevent someone from restoring a NAND backup or something. That's how much control they've gotten over Wii at this point. Anyway, I'm transferring now, it's going well. The little Pikmin are doing their thing. Actually, it's kind of cool looking.

*edit*
ok, it went 100% ok. I have no idea what it does if you have HB channel installed though (I temporarily deleted it since I was going to restore a NAND back up on my Wii anyway after it finished, I'll mention if it works fine but it should).

9thSage

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, doing a NAND restore if you want to get your legitimately purchased games back on to the Wii after sending them to WiiU seems to work absolutely fine.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
I'm sure it would just leave the HBC alone but it would be interesting to see officially if anyone had the guts to try.

It would also be interesting to see if anyone was willing to transfer their savefile for some disk based exploits to NAND before the transfer to see if it ends up on the Wii U or not.

Kadin

Ain't no rest for the wicked...
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I think I'm gonna take the plunge and fire up both systems and attempt a raw transfer with no removal of anything. NAND is fully backed up, bootmii is installed as boot2. Cross my fingers it transfers all my legit purchases and leaves everything else as is.

One question before I do. Should I immediately restore the NAND after doing the transfer or let it boot up once normally to see what is and is not there any longer?

The Minecrafter

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I think I'm gonna take the plunge and fire up both systems and attempt a raw transfer with no removal of anything. NAND is fully backed up, bootmii is installed as boot2. Cross my fingers it transfers all my legit purchases and leaves everything else as is.

One question before I do. Should I immediately restore the NAND after doing the transfer or let it boot up once normally to see what is and is not there any longer?
I would just check the Wii first just to see. It wouldn't hurt to check it.

JRDad1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just want to say thank you guys (girls?) for being so helpful. You never let me down and I hope that one day I can help people just as much.

Kadin

Ain't no rest for the wicked...
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I moved as many of my VC titles to the Wii memory along with all my saves... or rather as many as I could. Transfer is now at 30%. Will update when it's done.

Well the transfer from the Wii to the SD card went without a hitch. Taking a good bit longer now copying the games/saves onto the Wii U.

Rockym

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I moved as many of my VC titles to the Wii memory along with all my saves... or rather as many as I could. Transfer is now at 30%. Will update when it's done.

Well the transfer from the Wii to the SD card went without a hitch. Taking a good bit longer now copying the games/saves onto the Wii U.

I don't think you need all your VC titles in system memory for the transfer. The way I understood it, the transfer process transfers the download tickets tied to your Wii and you would have to redownload them on the Wii U.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3xQO7neBmy0&pp=ygUXU2hvd2VyIHNjZW5lIEhhbGYgYmFrZWQ%3D