Hacking The status of Gateway and A9LH

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They left out protection to prevent bricking? That's funny... I have 100% brick rate on both o3ds and n3ds.
Did the downgrade manually.

Yeah, that's the one thing they did remember -- protected firm partitions + downgrade = brick. Time machine, yeah, not so good. At least I can stop using rxTools to update consoles that are below 9.2 (of course, I've got Sky+ and the Smash with 9.2, but I like to do it properly with all the files, then again, I could always wait till it's in EmuNAND, then run a full 9.2 update, guess that would be safer).

Last edited by Kazuma77,

satelman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK, so I read that the files provided by liomajor, only seem to work on Toshiba NANDs.

So tested this on the only one of my only o3DS system that has a Toshiba NAND, and.... it works!!!

Sucks though, really want to use my Gateway 3DS on my Cosmo Black o3DS which comes with a Samsung NAND. :(

Oh well, just wanted to report this as well~! Hopefully you guys figure out a way to get this working on Samsung NANDs as well. :)

Just an idea: Could some GW beta tester or someone with a hardmod install the GW 4.0 alpha package on a 3ds console with the Samsung NAND chip and export the GW sector to try to make a specific arm9loaderhax easy install version for these consoles? Maybe the GW sector address or something else is different. Would this make any sense?

Last edited by satelman,
Reactions: LinkFan16

angelus kun

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico

m0nKeY

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The

LinkFan16

I link them all
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So earlier it was stated that the reason for all of those steps working on some O3DS but not on others might be because of a difference in NAND chips. To clarify for anyone who does not know, there are two different NAND chips - one Toshiba and one Samsung. So far, O3DS owners who reported the steps / payloads as working seem to be the ones with Toshiba NANDs only. It seemed ridiculous to me at first that something like this even could make a difference in the first place, but then I checked what kind of NAND is inside my O3DS by checking the size of a NAND Backup I made some time ago:

(Source of the following code snippet is this post)

Code:
The two different NAND sizes

Toshiba NAND:
1931264 sectors
988.807.168 bytes = 943 MB

Samsung NAND:
1953792 sectors
1.000.341.504 bytes = 954 MB

Low and behold, my NAND backup was 954 MB in size, telling me there's a Samsung NAND inside my O3DS. Now I don't know if there are other specific attributes to Toshiba NANDs that are different on Samsung NANDs. Maybe someone with the right tools and knowledge could investigate further on that end and find out if there is something that prevents the GW payload from working with Samsung NANDs and see if there's a fix for that.

xfcrowman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After reading all the posts from last night, it seems pretty clear that the Gateway A9LH payload is only working on Toshiba NANDs, not Samsung NANDs.

Has anyone created a Samsung NAND.bin with Gateway and also without Gateway, and compared the two dumps? Perhaps someone with a hardmod can create these 2 NAND.bins and post them to a certain iso site so that they can be compared and studied by others.

EDIT: I just read @Kazuma77 's post about the firm0 and firm1. Can someone with a hardmod on a Samsung NAND try using this with liomajor's Safe A9LH installer?

Last edited by xfcrowman,

KJ1

Old Member
Trophies
XP
Country
India
no, but you can use your gateway with A9LH + Luma using an updated version of a9lh posted some pages ago
assuming you have already a9lh istalled
Nope, I currently don't have it installed.. so, do you think it is worth to install the a9lh and use GW or wait for Gateway to release "their" way to install A9LH?

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Nope, I currently don't have it installed.. so, do you think it is worth to install the a9lh and use GW or wait for Gateway to release "their" way to install A9LH?
a9LH is always worth installing but make sure you use Plailect's guide, not GW's tools which are currently in alpha/beta and will likely brick your console.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Well, I don't know, is there a way to know without opening up the console? xP
Yes - dump your NAND and check its size. The Toshiba and Samsung NANDs are different sizes.

Reactions: hobbledehoy899

KJ1

Old Member
Trophies
XP
Country
India
a9LH is always worth installing but make sure you use Plailect's guide, not GW's tools which are currently in alpha/beta and will likely brick your console.
Okay, I guess I will wait up until tomorrow so that I can install it properly! :)

Yes - dump your NAND and check its size. The Toshiba and Samsung NANDs are different sizes.
My Nand size is 943 MB (988,807,168 bytes) so which one is it? :)

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Okay, so, I can use the current method to install A9LH and boot in GW right?
I don't really know - I'm not game to try it myself in case I stuff up my current A9LH setup :-) I don't plan to do anything with GW until it's so established there's guides for it.

Reactions: Nirmonculus and KJ1

CreAtor135

GBATemp's #1 Nothing
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just to clear out, now, we can successfully install GW A9LH?
If you only care about Gateway, and not Luma or other CFW or literally any tool that can be used with A9LH besides Gateway, then you can use Plail's guide to downgrade your console and start Gateway's A9LH installation from there. If you would like to use Luma or other CFW or literally any tool that can be used with A9LH besides Gateway, seeing as though you have a Toshiba NAND chip, you can install A9LH using Plail's guide in its entirety, and then use @liomajor 's payload to launch Gateway v3.7.1 or 4.0, if you please. (hint: use 3.7.1)

Reactions: KJ1

KJ1

Old Member
Trophies
XP
Country
India
If you only care about Gateway, and not Luma or other CFW or literally any tool that can be used with A9LH besides Gateway, then you can use Plail's guide to downgrade your console and start Gateway's A9LH installation from there. If you would like to use Luma or other CFW or literally any tool that can be used with A9LH besides Gateway, seeing as though you have a Toshiba NAND chip, you can install A9LH using Plail's guide in its entirety, and then use @liomajor 's payload to launch Gateway v3.7.1 or 4.0, if you please. (hint: use 3.7.1)
Yeah, I want to use Decrypt9 and all to unbrick (if it bricks somehow).. so, I should follow the Plalis guide and then Paylad right?

Reactions: hobbledehoy899

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://stockanalysis.com/stocks/ntdoy/market-cap/ I think they'll be alright