Hacking The status of Gateway and A9LH

liomajor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you get chance to create this payload? I have a hard mod and various NAND backups on N3DS so willing to try anything

Button A = Sector 5A000 = CFW = \arm9loaderhax.bin
Start Button = Sector 5A100 = Decrypt9 = \a9lh\decrypt9\decrypt9wip.bin
Default = Sector 5C000 = Launcher.DAT = \launcher.dat

Attachments

• requested-use-at-own-risk.rar
    15 KB · Views: 103

metaljay

Trophies
XP
Country

Thanks, will try in a second
I just thought though, should there not also be a button combo for updating A9L? E.g /A9lH/armloaderhax.bin

liomajor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That would be a 4th and would need to update safea9lhinstaller.

Instead i would suggest using a bootmanager like bootctr.

metaljay

Trophies
XP
Country
Sadly does not work, upon pressing just a flash of red screen then power off :(

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe this will help, make a memorycard backup of the content and use this to format
it with clustersize 32kb > http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?guiformat.htm

Not the problem, I assure you. The card I tried on all 3 systems was 32 KB cluster size. The N3DS XL ran the GW menu, the O3DS XLs did not. Same card. Freshly formatted. With only Launcher.dat on it (nothing else on there that could possibly mess it up). The problem appears to be Samsung NANDs for some reason.

liomajor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not the problem, I assure you. The card I tried on all 3 systems was 32 KB cluster size. The N3DS XL ran the GW menu, the O3DS XLs did not. Same card. Freshly formatted. With only Launcher.dat on it (nothing else on there that could possibly mess it up). The problem appears to be Samsung NANDs for some reason.

I did today a lot tests to get out of gw and took a spare memorycard , i had the same problem with red screen > pwr off and re-formating it was the fix.

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did today a lot tests to get out of gw and took a spare memorycard , i had the same problem with red screen > pwr off and re-formating it was the fix.

Maybe the card can be an issue occasionally. Still, for most of these people, I think the problem is Samsung NAND. I just formatted the spare card I have laying around again with the tool you recommended and 32 KB (I personally would have recommended SDFormatter). Still doesn't work in the O3DS XLs, and still works in the N3DS XL. If it was going to fail, it would fail in all 3.

Did you get chance to create this payload? I have a hard mod and various NAND backups on N3DS so willing to try anything

If you have a hard mod, I've got something you can try. The GW firm0.bin and firm1.bin. I can't guarantee they'll work with open A9LH. There are some major differences to say the least. So, someone with a hard mod should check them and see. Since they're firmware files though, they'll have to go to the iso site. Should be easy to find once I get them uploaded. The GW section is, surprisingly, not that active (for whatever reason).

Last edited by Kazuma77,

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The GW firms are up on a certain iso site. Flashcart Discussions forum, Gateway subforum. Anyone with a hard mod (i.e. @metaljay) that wants to try using dumps of GW's FIRM0 and FIRM1, feel free to check it out.

Last edited by Kazuma77,

satelman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Care to provide some info on the payloads you used? Did you use only the ones provided with the guide from liomajor? Also what was your setup beforehand? Did you simply update from a current A9LH install? If so I'm gonna try re-formatting my sd card and then try again.

I used @liomajor's files and setup for buttons A and B here.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/the-status-of-gateway-and-a9lh.427889/page-16#post-6386005

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Could you try it :S? please i cant do it right now

I won't be able to try this until the weekend, when I'll have more spare time. Sorry.

Stack3r

Shizuo Heiwajima
Trophies
XP
I tested around and around how to fix your nand, no solution so far
except to upgrade to example 9.9 and to downgrade back to 9.2.

Another solution would be to wait for a fixed launcher.dat with
working region detection to allow again restoring nand.bin.
What about that install a9lh feature? Does it not work? Would that overwrite the currently installed one i have? The fixed launcher would come with the full gateway build when they release it right?

liomajor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What about that install a9lh feature? Does it not work? Would that overwrite the currently installed one i have? The fixed launcher would come with the full gateway build when they release it right?

Waiting could be a good solution, most homebrew doesn't work with gateway.

It's weird that arm9loaderhax.bin doesn't start with the button combination.

Using devmenu.3ds to install firm again is risky and will brick your console.

Last edited by liomajor,

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Unfortunately, their installer only works from 2.1 I think. And it only loads the GW menu. So, you would be right back at square one. If you only had a GW card, or knew someone that did, running the PSMD ROM to get back on retail FW, then downgrading, would work (you would have to use 4.0a of course, the public releases all have firm protection -- they only left it out this time so you can downgrade without bricking).

Waiting could be a good solution, most homebrew doesn't work with gateway.

It's weird that arm9loaderhax.bin doesn't start with the button combination.

Using devmenu.3ds to install firm again is risky and will brick your console.

I think you might have missed part of the conversation. He doesn't have a GW cart, and he only copied one stage2.bin over to the SD card (and it was the GW one). This is exactly why I warned against installing GW A9LH though. Once it's installed, well, it's like the song says -- "you can check out any time you like, but you can never leave." -- taken from "Hotel California" by the Eagles (not that I'm a huge fan -- that and "Get Over It" are the only two songs of theirs I like). Well, more accurately, you can leave, but they've only left you one tiny window to jump out of (and it's on the second floor). But without the cart, his only hopes are the final release or a hard mod.

At least one good thing has come of 4.0a -- my last use for rxTools is gone. Now we CAN use GW SysNAND mode to update consoles. That simplifies things considerably, actually.

Last edited by Kazuma77,
Reactions: Nirmonculus

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: they need to have a strong line up on the launch titles too. I think they should move metroid...