Hacking The status of Gateway and A9LH

RednaxelaNnamtra

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
how do you use this bootgw.bin? do you have to put it in the payloads folder of luma? i didn't really understand how the process works
Like I said in my post its only partialy working, the arm9 part of gws payload seems to work, but the arm11 code doesn't seem to work properly, that's why firmlaunching is not working.
That's why I added the source, so that somebody with more time can look into it.

Hihomaster

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Like I said in my post its only partialy working, the arm9 part of gws payload seems to work, but the arm11 code doesn't seem to work properly, that's why firmlaunching is not working.
That's why I added the source, so that somebody with more time can look into it.
so if the arm11 code is loaded it might work?

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Kazuma77 cant you make a payload_stage2_2.bin to load launcher.dat "B" button instead of liomajor's X + Y so it would be compatible with his build?

I would have to have the source code. There's no easy way to have a stage 2 pick another stage 2 (the default stage 2 would have to be some sort of a stage 2 chain loader).

So I just tried the setup as described in this post without success. I used the arm9loaderhax.bin of the safeA9LHinstaller provided on page 16 to update my Luma A9LH installation but just get a short red flashing screen when I try holding X+Y upon booting my O3DS to load the GW 3.7.1 launcher.dat from the sd card inside the console. Since I don't know where the error could be as of yet, I'm going back to my normal A9LH until things start developing a bit further.

Then it technically worked. There's just something about GW's stage2 payload that makes it not want to work with most O3DS units when run this way. Just gives a red screen and shuts off. Maybe it's some sort of protection. Maybe we need something from GW's stage 1. Could even be both (or neither). Hard to tell at this point.

@CreAtor135

Sure, you can add my post to first :)

I'll add other combos if needed.

EDIT: A(5A000) and B(5A100) in one stage1 added.

Nice. Any chance you could do Start and B? It's not like I go into my 9.2 EmuNAND often, but I do like being able to use A to get out of it. And I wasn't using Start for anything in my BootCTR9. Thanks again.

20mark

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
tried on my N3DS with files provided by @liomajor (using A and B button stage one payload by him) using his SafeA9LHInstaller .bin to update a9lh and i got a nice red screen and then shut off when pressing "A" button. This is the structure of my a9lh folder on 3ds, and yes, i have a launcher.dat in the root.
why the hell is not working on my N3DS...
lzvFoLj.png

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tried on my N3DS with files provided by @liomajor (using A and B button stage one payload by him) using his SafeA9LHInstaller .bin to update a9lh and i got a nice red screen and then shut off when pressing "A" button. This is the structure of my a9lh folder on 3ds, and yes, i have a launcher.dat in the root.
why the hell is not working on my N3DS...
lzvFoLj.png

That's odd that it would happen on an N3DS. This is exactly what my O3DS XLs do though. Maybe there's some other factor we're not accounting for, like NAND manufacturer? My N3DS XLs have the big 1.8 GB NAND (non-Samsung I think). This is why I held off on writing a tutorial. I was trying everything to get it to work on my O3DS XLs. I even restored an original NAND dump, then reinstalled A9LH, thinking it could be 4.x downgrader-related. Nothing seems to get it to work.

Last edited by Kazuma77,

20mark

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
That's odd that it would happen on an N3DS. This is exactly what my O3DS XLs do though. Maybe there's some other factor we're not accounting for, like NAND manufacturer? My N3DS XLs have the big 1.8 GB NAND (non-Samsung I think). This is why I held off on writing a tutorial. I was trying everything to get it to work. I even restored an original NAND dump, then reinstalled A9LH, thinking it could be downgrader-related. Nothing seems to work.
i never downgraded my new3ds xl with gateway.

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i never downgraded my new3ds xl with gateway.

You couldn't have. It was only for O3DS (even if you could, 4.5 doesn't have a wifi soft switch, so it wouldn't be a good idea). This was the Zelda unit I had left on 9.2 so it hadn't either IIRC, but, I just wanted to check every possibility, make sure I was starting with a clean NAND and all. Not the problem. It still doesn't work.

Last edited by Kazuma77,

LinkFan16

I link them all
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Then it technically worked. There's just something about GW's stage2 payload that makes it not want to work with most O3DS units when run this way. Just gives a red screen and shuts off. Maybe it's some sort of protection. Maybe we need something from GW's stage 1. Could even be both (or neither). Hard to tell at this point.

Yup, just what I thought. Or maybe things are just really unstable right now and if I had tried another 200 times it might have worked how it should, who knows? I'll just wait and see how things evolve and try again at some point. Maybe things change a bit when the official release from GW comes around the corner (then again, probably sooner than that...). If I wouldn't lack the skill or rather the knowledge I would love to tinker around some more with this. But considering my 3DS is not even hard modded, it's best for me to stay on the safe side of things.

Reactions: 20mark

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so, the gateway A9LH payload require an emunand? or i can use my sysnand

SysNAND mode does work in 4.0a. There isn't firm protection though (probably because Time Machine would brick if there was). Come to think of it, I guess that means you could use 4.0a to update a SysNAND below 9.2 to 9.2 with a ROM, without bricking the device (I'd wait for someone with a hard mod to test this theory first, of course). So, the person with the 8.1J unit might be able to update then downgrade (there's unfortunately no 9.2J carts). But it will run 3.7.1 also, so, you can just use that, which should have proper firm protection (maybe someone with a hard mod can find out for us). If it works with your system, it should boot into SysNAND fine using either one.

Last edited by Kazuma77,

angelus kun

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
SysNAND mode does work in 4.0a. There isn't firm protection though (probably because Time Machine would brick if there was). Come to think of it, I guess that means you could use 4.0a to update a SysNAND below 9.2 to 9.2 with a ROM, without bricking the device (I'd wait for someone with a hard mod to test this theory first, of course). But it will run 3.7.1 also, so, you can just use that, which should have proper firm protection (maybe someone with a hard mod can find out for us). If it works with your system, it should boot into SysNAND fine using either though.
i have A9LH, gateway card and luma but i dont have hardmod how i can verify sysnand gateway mode without brick my new 3ds?

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i have A9LH, gateway card and luma but i dont have hardmod how i can verify sysnand gateway mode without brick my new 3ds?

Just use liomajor's arm9loaderhax.bin (backup your current one, then restore it when the installer's done) on page 16 to reinstall A9LH. Or hotkey it with Luma (copy it to the "luma/payloads" folder and rename it to something like "right_SAImod.bin" or something, and run it by holding right on the d-pad). It's perfectly safe. This is going on a hotkey. If you get the red screen and shutdown, just boot without holding the hotkey. It usually works with the N3DS. Its not even a question of if it supports SysNAND. GW supports SysNAND (even 4.0a -- how would they expect you to use Time Machine if it didn't?). The only issue is that the GW payload either works completely, or not at all.

did gateway mode works in sysnand? or i need a emunand

Please stop repeating the same question over and over. You have your answer. It does.

Last edited by Kazuma77,

GodSec

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Easy Install using safeA9LHinstaller

This allows to have three stage 2 inside nand to load them
using button combinations while powering your console on!

This includes only stage 1/2 files and installer!

You will need your very own private otp.bin and other files.

Details:
Code:
Stage 2                Button    Sector         Offset                            Path   File to load

payload_stage2.bin   = Default = Sector 5C000 = (5C000 * 200 hex) Offset B800000  \      arm9loaderhax.bin
payload_stage2_2.bin = X + Y   = Sector 5A000 = (5A000 * 200 hex) Offset B400000  \      launcher.dat
payload_stage2_3.bin = X + A   = Sector 5A100 = (5A100 * 200 hex) Offset B420000  \a9lh  arm9loaderhax.bin

1. Extract the rar file to your memorycard!
2. Copy the following files to A9LH folder: OTP.BIN (your own!) / firm0.bin / firm1.bin / secret_sector.bin
3. Either use your desired entry point to load Homebrew Launcher and start safeA9LH installer or update with included arm9loaderhax.bin
4. Press select to install/update a9lh

Already using a9lh? Use arm9loaderhax.bin to update!

You can swap stage2 files to switch button combinations, but i suggest to boot \arm9loaderhax.bin by default!

Tested and works with my own new3DS XL!

Have Fun
First: Nice work:yay:
Sec.: Is there a stage that boots Launcher.dat w/o button press and arm9loaderhax.bin with A or Start? i think that would be nice for the gateway user who dont what to use GW arm9 fork...
But nice work anyways

Last edited by GodSec,

LinkFan16

I link them all
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
EUR O3DS with 64GB SD CARD FAT32 64k = SUCCESS

Gateway menu booting with A thanks to @liomajor!

Care to provide some info on the payloads you used? Did you use only the ones provided with the guide from liomajor? Also what was your setup beforehand? Did you simply update from a current A9LH install? If so I'm gonna try re-formatting my sd card and then try again.

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tested @liomajor's A9LH installer and had success getting GW running on my MM N3ds XL (1.8GB NAND)
for fun, I installed them to my friend's O3DS XL and my O3DS and both run Luma fine but red screen+poweroff with GW :(

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Easy Install using safeA9LHinstaller

This allows to have three stage 2 inside nand to load them
using button combinations while powering your console on!

This includes only stage 1/2 files and installer!

You will need your very own private otp.bin and other files.

Details:
Code:
Stage 2                Button    Sector         Offset                            Path   File to load

payload_stage2.bin   = Default = Sector 5C000 = (5C000 * 200 hex) Offset B800000  \      arm9loaderhax.bin
payload_stage2_2.bin = X + Y   = Sector 5A000 = (5A000 * 200 hex) Offset B400000  \      launcher.dat
payload_stage2_3.bin = X + A   = Sector 5A100 = (5A100 * 200 hex) Offset B420000  \a9lh  arm9loaderhax.bin

1. Extract the rar file to your memorycard!
2. Copy the following files to A9LH folder: OTP.BIN (your own!) / firm0.bin / firm1.bin / secret_sector.bin
3. Either use your desired entry point to load Homebrew Launcher and start safeA9LH installer or update with included arm9loaderhax.bin
4. Press select to install/update a9lh

Already using a9lh? Use arm9loaderhax.bin to update!

You can swap stage2 files to switch button combinations, but i suggest to boot \arm9loaderhax.bin by default!

Tested and works with my own new3DS XL!

Have Fun
Thank you very much. The A/B version worked perfectly for me on O3DS, 9.2 sysNAND. Gateway boots just fine.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Hands nipples pees and camel toes?