The PlayStation 4 has surpassed 100 million units sold

W7i7EWtp6wWhdTvHwTKfYY-320-80.jpg

Though the dawn of the next console generation is quickly approaching, that isn't stopping the massive sales power of the PlayStation 4 system. After just over 5-and-a-half years, Sony's PlayStation 4 has reached a milestone sales figure: 100 million units sold. The PlayStation 4 now holds the record for being the fastest home console to sell 100 million systems, taking just 5 years and 7 months, as opposed to the previous record-holder, the PlayStation 2, which sold 100 million after 5 years and 9 months. In Sony's recent sales briefing, the company also mentions that digital game sales have overtaken physical sales, with digital game purchase making up just over 50% of PS4 game sales as of June 2019. Given these sales numbers, the PlayStation 4 will likely surpass the Nintendo Wii's sales of 101.63 million sold, and become the 5th best-selling game console of all time.

:arrow: Source

TerminatR

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So it's going to end up like the wii after the release of the ps5. Everywhere for $30 lol.

To be honest... used PS4 prices will tank after PS5 releases because of full backwards compatibility. There's no reason for 90% of PS4 owners to keep the old console (spare and jailbreak are the only 2 reasons I can think of) so a ton of used ps4 will flood the market by the end of 2020. $30? no. $80 - $100? yes.

Last edited by TerminatR,

UltraDolphinRevolution

Trophies
XP
Country
China
by using the mote to aim and shoot and the chuck to move? that's how the mote was supposed to be used!!
I agree.
But you said: "any other game you were either flicking ... to do some lame gimmicky shit."
And Metroid Prime 3 also uses flicks with the Nunchuk (e.g. remove armor of certain enemies, activate certain switches etc).
Anyway your claim that only 3 games had good controls is nonsense.

I just finished a random Wii game: Thor (2011). The Wii version has good controls. There is flicking but it does register the direction and the pointer is used for thunder and wind. Nothing special but the controls are at least equal to the other versions.

I also don't like flicking just for the heck of it - especially if there are unused buttons (I'm all for options!), but I don't see how anybody could hurt himself doing it.

Last edited by UltraDolphinRevolution,

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
In about a hundred games.

Metroid Prime 3 also had what you call gimmicky shit.

I can do that tomorrow and let you know how it went.
one game that was runined by wiimote controls was godzilla unleashed, srs it was such a great game if it had standard controls, its a shore to make the characters do what you want and when they do it there is a a huge delay from reading your motion to them doing it, seems the game is analyzing the movement lol.

Stealphie

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
yeah too bad it was only really used properly in 3 games and that is the metroid prime trilogy. any other game you were either flicking or shaking the mote or twirling it around to do some lame gimmicky shit. that's why skyward sword was so bad. and i can name a dozen other games that had terrible controls one comes to mind rampage total destruction if you want a sore AF wrist from slamming the mote down go ahead and play that i dare you!
Lets List some games that work well with it:
Mario Kart Wii
Sonic & Sega All Stars Racing
Wii Series in general
Mario & Sonic at The Olympic Games series.
Mario Party 9
Zelda Skyward Sword
Any Just Dance
Goldeneye 007 Remake
Call of Duty Games
FRICKING CHICKEN SHOOT

Last edited by Stealphie,

npiet1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
To be honest... used PS4 prices will tank after PS5 releases because of full backwards compatibility. There's no reason for 90% of PS4 owners to keep the old console (spare and jailbreak are the only 2 reasons I can think of) so a ton of used ps4 will flood the market by the end of 2020. $30? no. $80 - $100? yes.
Yeah the $30 wasn't serious. They are already $100 here for the base though second hand. So probably around $50.

LucasM3

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Lets List some games that work well with it:
Mario Kart Wii
Sonic & Sega All Stars Racing
Wii Series in general
Mario & Sonic at The Olympic Games series.
Mario Party 9
Zelda Skyward Sword
Any Just Dance
Goldeneye 007 Remake
Call of Duty Games
FRICKING CHICKEN SHOOT

Skyward sword wasn't great. I would have maybe liked it better with standard controls.

UltraDolphinRevolution

Trophies
XP
Country
China
one game that was runined by wiimote controls was godzilla unleashed, srs it was such a great game if it had standard controls, its a shore to make the characters do what you want and when they do it there is a a huge delay from reading your motion to them doing it, seems the game is analyzing the movement lol.
I haven't played it but I don't get how a fighting game could not have normal controls as well. Smash Bros, Tatsunoko vs Capcom, Mortal Kombat (and others) offer motion control as an option.

If they don't improve gameplay, I'm not for it. If - for some reason - a fighting game would use the pointer instead of the 2nd stick to aim at opponents, it might be worth switching. Otherwise I see no reason. So yeah, sorry to hear they ruined a game you like. For me, developers e.g. ruined every Resident Evil or Pro Evolution Soccer game after RE4/PES2013 simply by not having Wii controls.

Last edited by UltraDolphinRevolution,

UltraDolphinRevolution

Trophies
XP
Country
China
have fun breaking your wrist :lol:

I've played Rampage for an hour (the first world: San Francisco) and the first level of the 2nd world.
First of all, I never accidentally mixed up vertical and horizontal swinging (which seems to be a common criticism in reviews - just shows that people don't know how the Wiimote works). Second, the reason you hurt yourself is due to a very high sensitivity setting in this game. I know very few games that have it set to this level and it can't be changed in the options menu. However, I still played by just flicking the Wiimote and I'm okay.
Overall, bad choice by the developers not to use C and Z at all. Therefore I would agree that the controls are annoying.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I haven't played it but I don't get how a fighting game could not have normal controls as well. Smash Bros, Tatsunoko vs Capcom, Mortal Kombat (and others) offer motion control as an option.

If they don't improve gameplay, I'm not for it. If - for some reason - a fighting game would use the pointer instead of the 2nd stick to aim at opponents, it might be worth switching. Otherwise I see no reason. So yeah, sorry to hear they ruined a game you like. For me, developers e.g. ruined every Resident Evil or Pro Evolution Soccer game after RE4/PES2013 simply by not having Wii controls.
there wasnt a RE5 or 6 on the wii so how would they use wii contols? lol

TheMrIron2

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Yes agreed both a flop personally considering the switch has only been out since March 2017 and nearly reached half of the PS4 sales. The switch will certainly go on to be the best selling console of all time, no doubt in my mind.
What? Multiple articles have been confirming that the Switch is matching the PS4's sales pace very closely. If the PS4 is a flop, so is your Switch -- https://venturebeat.com/2019/07/30/switch-sales-hit-36-87-million-on-pace-with-playstation-4/

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
What? Multiple articles have been confirming that the Switch is matching the PS4's sales pace very closely. If the PS4 is a flop, so is your Switch -- https://venturebeat.com/2019/07/30/switch-sales-hit-36-87-million-on-pace-with-playstation-4/
If you red my comments properly I was referring to the Xbox one & PS4 being a flop in sales considering the time scale, not the Nintendo Switch. The Nintendo Switch sales up to date since March 2017 release is incredible I personally think and it’s my opinion, it’s well on track to becoming the best selling console and we haven’t even seen a revision yet! The PS4 had not even been out literally 2 years before the Pro was released.. the xbox one well that’s just been even worse. I bought an Xbox one when it was released with Dead Rising 3, worst mistake I ever made what a waste of good hard earned cash! all it’s done is sat in the box.

Last edited by Reecey,

Stealphie

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Skyward sword wasn't great. I would have maybe liked it better with standard controls.
it wasnt great, but was good.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

but i understand why you could prefer with standard controls.

invaderyoyo

invader
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you red my comments properly I was referring to the Xbox one & PS4 being a flop in sales considering the time scale, not the Nintendo Switch. The Nintendo Switch sales up to date since March 2017 release is incredible I personally think and it’s my opinion, it’s well on track to becoming the best selling console and we haven’t even seen a revision yet! The PS4 had not even been out literally 2 years before the Pro was released.. the xbox one well that’s just been even worse. I bought an Xbox one when it was released with Dead Rising 3, worst mistake I ever made what a waste of good hard earned cash! all it’s done is sat in the box.
He said "sales pace" as in what you're calling "time scale". The Switch is selling at a similar rate to the PS4.

Anyway, I think the Switch's sales are just gonna slow down. I can't see Nintendo maintaining the pace at which they've been releasing heavy-hitters.

Last edited by invaderyoyo,

Stealphie

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
He said "sales pace" as in what you're calling "time scale". The Switch is selling at a similar rate to the PS4.

Anyway, I think the Switch's sales are just gonna slow down. I can't see Nintendo maintaining the pace at which they've been releasing heavy-hitters.
True, like any other nintendo console.

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country

What do you mean?..The Nintendo Switch hasn’t even began on its heavy hitters yet! We have Luigis Mansion 3, the next Mario kart instalment, Zelda Breath of Wild 2, Bayonetta 3, “Most Probably” another 3D Mario Title etc, etc.. way more fantastic titles to come yet! The Nintendo Switch has only just scratched the surface at this point in time.

Last edited by Reecey,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    MrNoobNub @ MrNoobNub: why is everyone so horny