Hardware The Amiibo Save Data Situation Sucks Ass!

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Wow, I was mistaken. I thought Nintendo was being just greedy, but this is disgusting. More info on Mario Party 10 and amiibo support: http://www.nintendo.com/amiibo/line-up/#/mario_party.
Your amiibo becomes a game piece in the all-new amiibo Party mode! At least one amiibo is required in order to access this mode.
Game boards vary based on the amiibo used. On the Mario board, you might encounter an event where you use a Mushroom to suddenly grow or collect coins while defeating your rivals. On the Luigi board, you may have to suck up your rivals' stars and coins using the Poltergust.
Emphasis added by me. So amiibo Party in Mario Party 10 not only requires at least one amiibo, but the game board you play in depends on the amiibo used. So you need even more amiibo just to play this mode properly. (Which arguably seems like the best mode in the game as it doesn't have that awful vehicle from Mario Party 9 and looks like a watered down classic Mario Party mode.)

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Now, if Nintendo released the rumoured Amiibo cards I'd buy that.
I don't think we'll see those in a while. They'd have to make special packaging for the cards just like for the figures that prevents their use inside the box (so no one can just go to a store and scan all amiibo data on an Android phone with NFC support). I just can't envision any such packaging that would make sense.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Wow, I was mistaken. I thought Nintendo was being just greedy, but this is disgusting. More info on Mario Party 10 and amiibo support: http://www.nintendo.com/amiibo/line-up/#/mario_party.
Emphasis added by me. So amiibo Party in Mario Party 10 not only requires at least one amiibo, but the game board you play in depends on the amiibo used. So you need even more amiibo just to play this mode properly. (Which arguably seems like the best mode in the game as it doesn't have that awful vehicle from Mario Party 9 and looks like a watered down classic Mario Party mode.)
So besides not having Online Play it also requires an Amiibo to unlock one of its game modes? This is going to be Wii U's best seller.

Tomy Sakazaki

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
I don't think we'll see those in a while. They'd have to make special packaging for the cards just like for the figures that prevents their use inside the box (so no one can just go to a store and scan all amiibo data on an Android phone with NFC support). I just can't envision any such packaging that would make sense.

Reflective packages, like the aluminium foil that you use to cook. If packages used to store boosters of card to Trading Card Games doesn't does the trick already, the manufacturer of the package should add more reflective capabilities, it's not that hard.
That sticker on the amiibo package is only that, a reflective surface.

Reactions: WiiCube_2013

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Reflective packages, like the aluminium foil that you use to cook. If packages used to store boosters of card to Trading Card Games doesn't does the trick already, the manufacturer of the package should add more reflective capabilities, it's not that hard.

That's true, though can we expect Nintendo to sell "amiibo cards" as packs? That's what I was getting at. It'd be expensive to make a booster pack for just 1 card.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
That's true, though can we expect Nintendo to sell "amiibo cards" as packs? That's what I was getting at. It'd be expensive to make a booster pack for just 1 card.

They could sell 3 per pack or so for £14.99 but even then £14.99 seems rather too much for it.

It's a shame that Nintendo never had a Nintendo Store exclusive "Amiibo Collector's Edition" with figures of wave 1 and 2 because while I'm interested I'm not the type to be buying them one by one, nor do I care if they go rare.

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
They could sell 3 per pack or so for £14.99 but even then £14.99 seems rather too much for it.

It's a shame that Nintendo never had a Nintendo Store exclusive "Amiibo Collector's Edition" with figures of wave 1 and 2 because while I'm interested I'm not the type to be buying them one by one, nor do I care if they go rare.
Yeah, I'd love a tin box set with multiple amiibo. Buying amiibo separately at retail has proven to be extremely difficult with sporadic availability. I also wouldn't buy online as I want to inspect the amiibo before buying to ensure I'm getting a "boring" but proper amiibo instead of the "defective" ones that seemingly are popping up left and right.

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lol maybe this is why villager, wii fit trainer, marth were produced in such low numbers.
Nintendo was too busy producing the next variation of the same characters.

Or maybe they're just niche characters that were lucky to have been produced in the first place, and if not for people going after them because they're rare or to resell, the low amount made would still have been plenty for the number of people that actually care about them vs the number of people who'd want a Mario or Link.

Tomy Sakazaki

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil

https://www.buynfctags.com/nfc-tags/cards.html
NFC cards and tags aren't expensive nowadays, and these are the prices for end-user, so if nintendo really wants to print NFC cards they will do them for way less.
And packages used to sell boosters for TCG aren't expensive either (it's almost the same package used to sell various kinds of food like biscuits).

Reactions: Nightwish

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
https://www.buynfctags.com/nfc-tags/cards.html
NFC cards and tags aren't expensive nowadays, and these are the prices for end-user, so if nintendo really wants to print NFC cards they will do them for way less.
And packages used to sell boosters for TCG aren't expensive either (it's almost the same package used to sell various kinds of food like biscuits).

I think we're not on the same page. I don't see it being good business that Nintendo started selling 1 card per booster pack. The packaging cost per card would be very high.

Reactions: yuyuyup

Tomy Sakazaki

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
I think we're not on the same page. I don't see it being good business that Nintendo started selling 1 card per booster pack. The packaging cost per card would be very high.

They may sell 1 NFC enabled card with common cards together. The cards may be sold with games as bonus. There are lots of ways to sell those, and the packaging costs aren't that high actually.
But well, we're talking about nintendo, the same company that doesn't sell chargers with new iterations of consoles to reduce their costs (remember that not only the super famicom, but famicom av didn't had chargers in their packages at Japan), so I can see where the disbelief is coming from :P

Reactions: WiiCube_2013

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
They may sell 1 NFC enabled card with common cards together. The cards may be sold with games as bonus. There are lots of ways to sell those, and the packaging costs aren't that high actually.
But well, we're talking about nintendo, the same company that doesn't sell chargers with new iterations of consoles to reduce their costs (remember that not only the super famicom, but famicom av didn't had chargers in their packages at Japan), so I can see where the disbelief is coming from :P

Oh yeah, like the Pokémon card packs they included normal and then one special as a bonus. This could totally work.

Would love if Nintendo made Amiibo Cards as they're way cooler than the figures themselves and this way the cost is a lot lower, but we'd not have an unnamed person buying 100+ Amiibo figures to prove his idiotic point which actually helps showing Nintendo that the market wants more. lol

Maybe thanks to him we'll finally get a new Metroid. :P

lovewiibrew

Sifjar is a pirate
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My wife and I always love playing the new Mario Parties whenever they come out. I'm very disappointed to see that I will have to pay for amiibos to access certain content of the game. I certainly hope in the future amiibos can be spoofed on an android phone so that I can play the content that I HAVE ALREADY PAID FOR. UNACCEPTABLE NINTENDO.

Reactions: shinkodachi

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
My wife and I always love playing the new Mario Parties whenever they come out. I'm very disappointed to see that I will have to pay for amiibos to access certain content of the game. I certainly hope in the future amiibos can be spoofed on an android phone so that I can play the content that I HAVE ALREADY PAID FOR. UNACCEPTABLE NINTENDO.

You hit the nail.

I also love playing Mario Party and have played each and every one (incl. portable versions) since the first on N64. I even bought Wii Party and Wii Party U (the reason I got a Wii U in the first place, nonetheless). And I'm very sad that after 16 years of supporting the franchise I'm choosing not to buy the latest iteration that's coming out because of Nintendo's practices. (Don't give me the BS that it's optional content / just one silly mode in the game, we all know the data is on the disc and requires a minimum purchase of $78 to unlock all of it. It's not much different than Capcom DLC that unlocks content already contained on the disc.)

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
You hit the nail.

I also love playing Mario Party and have played each and every one (incl. portable versions) since the first on N64. I even bought Wii Party and Wii Party U (the reason I got a Wii U in the first place, nonetheless). And I'm very sad that after 16 years of supporting the franchise I'm choosing not to buy the latest iteration that's coming out because of Nintendo's practices. (Don't give me the BS that it's optional content / just one silly mode in the game, we all know the data is on the disc and requires a minimum purchase of $78 to unlock all of it. It's not much different than Capcom DLC that unlocks content already contained on the disc.)

I've seen people trying to sugar coat this issue saying that it's "optional" content and so that makes it fine but here's the thing, the content's on the disc and so those who paid for the game should be getting all of it but nope, Nintendo's following Capcom's mentality and those people/fans are swallowing it up.

Reactions: Nightwish

emmanu888

6 years and still going strong
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

You'd be surprised for the aluminium foil packs. Power Discs for Disney Infinity are packaged like that yet the game can read them through the pack making it easy for collectors see which discs are in the pack.

Deboog

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok it seems like everyone is bitching about Amiibos in this thread, so I just wanted to say...

What they hell is the point of having all this content associated with plastic figurines? CPUs that learn? Who not program every CPU to learn? Brawl had CPUs adjust to playstyles mid-match. And that was FREE. Skylanders had those mix-and-match figures that could be combined to create a bajillion combinations of playable characters. THAT was cool. I never played the game, and for all I know the combo characters are not particularly interesting, but at least there was a point to having figures. Look at the Toad Amiibo. As of now, it's literally only used to unlock DLC in one game.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Ok it seems like everyone is bitching about Amiibos in this thread, so I just wanted to say...

What they hell is the point of having all this content associated with plastic figurines? CPUs that learn? Who not program every CPU to learn? Brawl had CPUs adjust to playstyles mid-match. And that was FREE. Skylanders had those mix-and-match figures that could be combined to create a bajillion combinations of playable characters. THAT was cool. I never played the game, and for all I know the combo characters are not particularly interesting, but at least there was a point to having figures. Look at the Toad Amiibo. As of now, it's literally only used to unlock DLC in one game.

To be honest, it's a really crappy DLC as the only thing you'd be doing is the same as those 8bit pixelated Luigis, but instead with Toads.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: nes remix 1 had the bad one, nes remix 2 had the good one