Hardware The 3DS should be able to play Game Cube games.

Okami Wolfen

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd rather play GCN games on meh Wii, thnx.

But 3DS should do discs, be backwards compatible with regular DS games, and let you download gameboy/color/advance games.

If it's more powerful than the PSP, then it should be powerful enough to emulate GBA games. Which means that even if Ninty doesn't do a VC for GBA, we could still have a homebrew GBA emulator.
biggrin.gif

Styles420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess I'm still skeptical, I could swear I saw an official post or maybe an article on the ninty website... so instead of speculating and debating, I'm going to see if I can find it again - if I find it I will edit this post or something, depending on how many new posts have shown up when I find an answer... Stay tuned
wink.gif
lol

[EDIT] So far, I've found this: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=218322
I still had to read it carefully though, it doesn't really make it clear enough for those of us who want to take a lazy glance and have all the answers, lol.

So for anyone still wondering by the time they reach my post, it seems the April Fool's Joke part of the whole deal was that the 3DS is fake - so they kinda said, "Ha! It IS real! We fooled you!"

(Maybe all the confusion is intentional, so if they decide that it will be a big flop, they can just say, "Ah HA! Fooled you twice! With the same joke! Yeah, that's... that's what it was... okay... let's never mention that joke again...")

FlashX007

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
No way they are making gamecube back for portable. If they are then they would have to go with original DSi and replace the room space with a small disc slot because DSiXL wouldn't support it or it could because of the size. This is just false hopes.

giga502

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
oh god just imagine playing supermario sun shine without having to lug out the gamecube + controller + memory card. Just playing in the palm of your hand tehe xD

Porobu

Gbatemps Shiny Latias
Trophies
XP
Country
The Darkness Within said:
tk_saturn said:
I still think it wouldn't work. The 3DS won't be hardware compatible with Game Cube and it wont have enough power to smoothly emulate it.

There won't be enough people buying them to recoup the costs of the developing and manufactering gamecube addon hardware either. You don't see stacks of Gamecube games on the shelves. If people aren't buying new games, where are the benefits to Nintendo?

Instead they will have to be 'ports' as has already been discussed in this thread.

The only other real option is to have it link upto a Wii over WiFi, with game running on the Wii but displayed/ controlled on the 3DS. I'm not sure Wireless G has enough bandwidth for that either.
Your first point is completely invalid. We have no idea what kind of tech the 3DS will use. Porting them might not be possible without making some major cuts. Currently DS cartridges can only hold about 512 MB 1GB (I assume the 3DS will use similar cartridges.) and GC games can go up to about 2 GB so porting them while maintaining the original look and feel of the games would be virtually impossible. As for the matter of cost Nintendo could resell the top selling GC games for the accessory with added 3D effects. This would cost very little on Nintendo's part since the games have already been made and they would have great sales like they did years ago. To summarize things up the accessory would "print money".
The DS cartridges can hold 1GB

doeo

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Styles420 said:
I guess I'm still skeptical, I could swear I saw an official post or maybe an article on the ninty website... so instead of speculating and debating, I'm going to see if I can find it again - if I find it I will edit this post or something, depending on how many new posts have shown up when I find an answer... Stay tuned
wink.gif
lol

[EDIT] So far, I've found this: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=218322
I still had to read it carefully though, it doesn't really make it clear enough for those of us who want to take a lazy glance and have all the answers, lol.

So for anyone still wondering by the time they reach my post, it seems the April Fool's Joke part of the whole deal was that the 3DS is fake - so they kinda said, "Ha! It IS real! We fooled you!"

(Maybe all the confusion is intentional, so if they decide that it will be a big flop, they can just say, "Ah HA! Fooled you twice! With the same joke! Yeah, that's... that's what it was... okay... let's never mention that joke again...")

You poor kid
smileipb2.png

That thread was an April Fool's joke by Costello.

The 3DS is real
wink.gif

person66

If it isn't edited, it isn't a true person66 post
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
SOS-Rens said:
The quality would be really bad and the GC controller has many buttons that a DS not have
But the 3ds might have those buttons.
And super mario sunshine would be awsome on a portable, then I could play it anywhere
yaynds.gif

geoflcl

Permanent GBAtemp Newbie
Trophies
Website
loganderb.in
XP
Country
United States
person66 said:
And super mario sunshine would be awsome on a portable, then I could play it anywhere
yaynds.gif

If the 3DS sports an analog stick, I'd rather have a remake of it, actually. That way Ninty could smooth out all the rough edges on the original. I tell you, some parts of that game just screamed "unfinished".

Frogman

This could be you!
Trophies
Website
www.frogmanreviews.com
XP
Country
people keep saying like i hope it has gamecube games and accelerometer and joysticks and stuff if they include all this stuff then it will just be a portable wii with 3d screens??

Painguy

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
unless it uses a PowerPC 750 core in its CPU, and a similar architecture to its GPU its never gonna happen. Only reason the wii plays GC games without emulation is cuz it uses both things mentioned above (and other things i did not bother to mention). The wii just underclocks its hardware to GC level, and essentially becomes a GC. Only significant difference between the Wii hardware and GC is that the GC had an FPU while the Wii has a coproccessor that does more than floating point proccessing.

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Probably not going to happen, because the Wii already has GameCube backwards compatibility and it is still being sold, so I'd be shocked if Ninty put backwards compatibility on the '3DS' too.

It'd be cool though.

snakeyes0101

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Vampire Hunter D said:
My brother who works for part of THQ said this thing was on the output level of a Gamecube 'TC' so you know you're right it should play them and probably will see a few ported just like DS got N64 titles, but they won't be downloads.

I know you probably won't answer but it's too tempting to ask... Is it slightly more powerful or slightly less powerful than a GC? No need for detailed specs.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If able to emulate Gamecube, I hope that there are two sticks and at least one more button. If not, it'd be a nightmare to map the buttons (unless SELECT could act as Z).

ryan90

Trophies
XP
Country
Sorry to bump an old topic, but it does strike me that any first party gamecube games should be pretty easy to port since nintendo must have the source code and they know how both systems work, it has already been said the 3ds is pretty much wii graphics so im sure it could handle it and maybe even put some nice shader support into old games and obviously 3d. Obviously the idea's in this thread of the 3ds emulating the gamecube are ridiculous but porting can't be too difficult.

If they did this we could have super mario sunshine, luigi's mansion, zelda windwaker and so on in 3d, we know they are already porting 2 n64 games and ridge racer looks like an n64 game... seriously it looks like crap, On topic though i would love to see them remake the games much like they did mario 64 and rayman 2 on ds, and the old tracks of previous games in mario kart ds. Either way this would make the 3ds much more exciting for me since i loved the console.

Why are Nintendo so focused on porting N64 games when they could be porting GC games, I say the hardware is there and they can do it and i even expect it considering how well the re-released gamecube games did on wii with play controls (pikmin 1&2, Donkey kong Jungle beat, RE0, Mario Power tennis etc)

The one game i really really hope they port is Luigi's mansion because the game has quite large blocky graphics which will look good on the small 3ds screen, the other reason is the 3d effect, the 3d effect will make the rooms look like they really are inside the screen like a little doll-house, if the game isn't released i will be shocked and i know the developer has expressed interest so im already hyped for it tbh im shocked it still hasn't been announced its the perfect game!

So what do you think the likely-hood is of nintendo porting there First party Gamecube games?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: what are you currently playing?