ROM Hack Tales of Hearts - English Translation

Gunfreak11

Trophies
Website
teamvierling.com
XP
Country
United States
Wow, am I lucky. I came on here to look for a hearts translation, and then I saw this thread. Yay! Anyways, thanks for taking the time and effort to do so.

@DarthNemesis - If you wouldn't mind, could you send me the source of the application? I'd be interested in seeing first hand how the packer/unpacker works! I don't mind what the language is in, although C and its variants (C++ and C#) would be fine. I understand if you don't want to share.

KaelKazaki

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I am very happy to see someone finally picked this up. I know it is not at this point yet, but if you need someone to proof-read and edit the script and in-game text I'd be happy to help there. I can't hack or anything as far as this goes, but if you give me huge text file I will be sure to see what I can do to help.

Hell, you never know what another set of eyes can find.
biggrin.gif

Of course, I'd beta test too >_>; but... er... I'd rather help you get to that point.

9th_Sage

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Sensational. The thought that I might get to play not only ToI in english, but Tales of Hearts as well fills me with geeky joy. I may just import Tales of Hearts too then.

Clemente

Trophies
XP
Country
I've PM'd you
wink.gif

Btw, it's a really small issue but all though "gelatine" is a word, it's "gelatin" when you put the "-based" on the end.

Goofy Time

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
neoxephon said:
Goofy Time said:
Oh ho, it's very nice to see this project get started.

I hope it doesn't go the way of Tales of the Tempest and just stops. D:

I've looked at the files for Tales of the Tempest before. Everything is set up in a way that makes it highly frustrating to hack. I can kind of understand why they quit, especially since it seemed like it was the very first ROM any of them had worked on.

Thankfully, Tales of Hearts is set up way better for hacking, with just the occasional hiccups.

Ah, I see. Well, it's a spin-off game anyway, so no spilt milk there.

I take it considering you know a lot that you have had experience doing this before?

Clemente

Trophies
XP
Country
It's going to take a lot more than just hacking knowledge to deal with this game's script and skit text.
It's a nightmare, a complete nightmare.

Ellara

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
All those fairytale references (which are based on really weird Japanese translations of fairytales such as Sleeping Beauty) in the game are going to be a pain in the backside to research.

Good luck.

neoxephon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As suggested on the last page about maybe having a blog to do updates, I have already been thinking about setting that up.

And for those already mentioning beta testing, that's a very very long ways away. We're not even thinking that far ahead yet.

neoxephon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here is our blog: http://tohenglish.wordpress.com/

I have updated the OP with it as well.

Edit
It seems there are a number of people who keep on being doubtful of the project because I have not listed off a translator. We have several people whom have offered to take the job. We are in the process of figuring out who it should be. We may also have an editor that will work directly with the translator to ensure that the recurring Tales of series terms are used correctly in the game in order to stay true to the series.

Goofy Time

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
neoxephon said:

Edit
It seems there are a number of people who keep on being doubtful of the project because I have not listed off a translator. We have several people whom have offered to take the job. We are in the process of figuring out who it should be. We may also have an editor that will work directly with the translator to ensure that the recurring Tales of series terms are used correctly in the game in order to stay true to the series.

I don't mean to doubt the project but..have you had any noteworthy examples on what you've hacked with games? I find it very hard to follow some dude who is still fresh to these boards and already planning a translation to a game, yaknow?

Not that I think it can't be done, but the usual translations I think of often involve people who have histories in similar projects, like Tomato and the translations he has a hand in.

neoxephon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Goofy Time said:
neoxephon said:

Edit

I don't mean to doubt the project but..have you had any noteworthy examples on what you've hacked with games? I find it very hard to follow some dude who is still fresh to these boards and already planning a translation to a game, yaknow?

Not that I think it can't be done, but the usual translations I think of often involve people who have histories in similar projects, like Tomato and the translations he has a hand in.

Then don't "follow" me, I have nothing to prove to anyone. I'm a part of this project because I like ToH and want to be a part of the translation. When it is all said and done, people in your group that share the same thought on the project will be the first ones clamoring to get the patch.

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
neoxephon said:
Goofy Time said:
neoxephon said:

Edit

Then don't "follow" me, I have nothing to prove to anyone. I'm a part of this project because I like ToH and want to be a part of the translation. When it is all said and done, people in your group that share the same thought on the project will be the first ones clamoring to get the patch.

If you keep getting harassed by people I'd recommend you shout for a mod to take care of it, it's people like Goofy Time that turn away potential translators from the board, especially when people like him have contributed next to nothing.

Just don't take it personally OP, there are actually a large amount of people who have gotten peoples hopes up, only to have a project fall through, but this happens to some of the best as well as newer projects.

Goofy Time

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
neoxephon said:
Goofy Time said:
neoxephon said:

Edit

Well, I'm not saying that I hope this fails or that I hope for it to not get off the ground, as I think quite the contrary. But clearly, there have been many interesting hacking/translation projects that sound so compelling and really don't ever finish. Most of the original six Fire Emblems attest to that, as most of them are not 100% translated. I don't wish to hype yet another game that may just stop dead in the tracks, like Fire Emblem 4.

I'm just not on the bandwagon of pure optimism unless I know of the specifics in terms of those undertaking such a project. It's to no offense about what you could be capable of, but I'd feel more assured of being hyped for the project if you had notable examples of hacks/translations you've partaken in the past. I apologize if you think I'm doubting you or whatever, I would probably not be if this didn't seem quite sudden.

QUOTE(Law @ Jul 23 2009, 05:55 PM)
If you keep getting harassed by people I'd recommend you shout for a mod to take care of it, it's people like Goofy Time that turn away potential translators from the board, especially when people like him have contributed next to nothing.

Just don't take it personally OP, there are actually a large amount of people who have gotten peoples hopes up, only to have a project fall through, but this happens to some of the best as well as newer projects.

I sincerely think people are taking my views totally out of context, as I'm not trying to burst the bubble of anybodies parade. I do wish to play the game in a translated matter, after all. I just find that a lot of ambitious projects are often taken on by people who appear out of the blue, only for the project to just vanish, and it's something that keeps me from being fully anticipated for most translations. I would feel far better if this hacker would simply name projects he's worked on, so I can get an idea that he's simply beyond the average joe that hops on the bandwagon, wanting to translated game X. It would put my worries to shame. And I feel the need to reiterate that I do not mean any belittling upon the hacker, I would just like to know if this is the first time he's actually tried hacking a game or not. If he's done things like this before, then I have zero reason to worry.

Maybe I worded my post wrong, but I certainly do not wish for this project to fail. I just wish for my worries to be clarified. I don't want this to be another Tales of the Tempest.

DarkSpace

Custom member title
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Most of the game is already translated by Greenfire. Did u get permission to use it yet?. he even has a great walk through along with the skits(mentioned earlier in the topic). Are you guys going to put up spreadsheets or do this on your own?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: