Homebrew Taking a risk: Hardmodding my 3DS manually. What do I need to know?

vb_encryption_vb

That hardmod guy....
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, for one, I didn't expect that you have to pop open your system. That immediately kills it for me.

I thought hardmodding was replacing old files with new ones on PC. Guess I was dead wrong...

That's a softmod (software )

Hardmod is ( hardware )

As for whoever was talking about emunand running o3ds files on a n3ds, emunand will permanently brick. Not.possible.

Reactions: Quantumcat

LuxerWap

The Green Husky with a Broken Tail
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's a softmod (software )

Hardmod is ( hardware )

As for whoever was talking about emunand running o3ds files on a n3ds, emunand will permanently brick. Not.possible.
I didn't know this. I though both ment a difficulty. I'm such an idiot.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Happy 150th post!
150th?

BurningDesire

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you practice soldering I'd say you'd have more of a risk with the software portion of downgrading then you would with doing "surgery" on your 3DS.
I practiced soldering for a good hour on a old DS motherboard then I did my 3DS and sent photos of my 3DS hard mod in a Skype chat people be saying it was clean as fuck (then again I've been better at hardware rather than software) :P

Gray_Jack

Trophies
XP
Country

It's possible if you remove the 00040130 - System Modules with low TitleID ended with 2 in the updates folder before you downgrade your emuNAND to a O3DS firmware version

But I don't know if will work the System Transfer since you don't installed some pretty important stuff for the sake of compability

Last edited by Gray_Jack,

Metalchilla

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Still need a *hax exploit game too to actually perform the downgrade once native_firm is downgraded
yeah but it doesn't have to be primary, just restore the nand backup on the a9lh 3ds and install something like basehax to use on the 11.0 3ds
in a way this is a pay for exploit method which i don't really like :c

D

Deleted-379826

Oh damn I need a help my cousin do that, and do you have to buy the game like are the other ;) ways not possible? And I read somewhere you also need a flashcart is that true? Can someone just write what zoogie said with a bit more detail lmao got a bit confused on general

Metalchilla

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh damn I need a help my cousin do that, and do you have to buy the game like are the other ;) ways not possible? And I read somewhere you also need a flashcart is that true? Can someone just write what zoogie said with a bit more detail lmao got a bit confused on general
the only other way is to hardmod
i'm not sure about the flashcart, i'm waiting for clearance and a full tutorial to try this. i'm sure the tutorial will tell me what i need so i'll know if i need a flashcart or not.
i'm also very confused on the topic. all i know is get fieldrunners and install dsiwarehax. the problem is i don't know if we install dsiwarehax on a ds or 3ds.

Reactions: Deleted-379826
D

Deleted-379826

the only other way is to hardmod
i'm not sure about the flashcart, i'm waiting for clearance and a full tutorial to try this. i'm sure the tutorial will tell me what i need so i'll know if i need a flashcart or not.
i'm also very confused on the topic. all i know is get fieldrunners and install dsiwarehax. the problem is i don't know if we install dsiwarehax on a ds or 3ds.
3ds of course but yeah a little confused

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, for one, I didn't expect that you have to pop open your system. That immediately kills it for me.

I thought hardmodding was replacing old files with new ones on PC. Guess I was dead wrong...
Softmod = Software mod, dealing with the software and it's files
Hardmod = Hardware mod, opening the system and modifying the physical hardware

Reactions: CeeDee

Pandaxclone2

Pokemon Sprite Artist Hobbyist
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
In a nutshell I believe the OP may be turned off for a few reasons:
  1. The equipment and skills needed to perform a hardmod.
  2. Trusting someone to hardmod your console without something going wrong, even if their service is entirely fine. (A "if you want something done right, you have to do it yourself" mentality I imagine.)
  3. Most likely, the unsightly thought of tainting a pure, unmodded console with a hardmod.
Of course, that last one might seem illogical but some gamers just dislike doing that. Softmodding isn't on par since it's easier to revert to stock firmware if need be and if there was ever a repair needed, Nintendo wouldn't be the wiser. Hardmodding to put it lightly prevents that and permanently changes the system. (I doubt permanently since you could desolder but that's more messy work.)

I know the feeling; I have the tools and equipment necessary to do so and yet no skill. Even if I did I wouldn't and I don't exactly trust many outside sources anymore (although for a completely different reason.) I'm lucky the 3DS's I've owned were all within softmodding limits and that I have a large amount of exploits to rely on.

@LuxerWap IMO, your options all things considered are either getting another system that can be softmodded (you don't even need to be actively looking; just next time you're around a second hand store give it a look and you may come across one), OR you can simply wait things out and hope that another breakthrough in system turns up. That's what this guy did when his system was on 9.5 until downgrading was possible.

Reactions: LuxerWap

Gray_Jack

Trophies
XP
Country
That soft downgrade method looks like a last resource method (that's why it was kept kinda in secret), the devs only gave the tips to you discover by yourselves the rest (probably because they are still searching for a easy way to do the soft downgrade on 11.0).
Please stop asking for a tutorial guide like for this method, this only will make nintendo patch that way to do a soft downgrade and maybe some devs need it to something

Reactions: Pandaxclone2

Metalchilla

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That soft downgrade method looks like a last resource method (that's why it was kept kinda in secret), the devs only gave the tips to you discover by yourselves the rest (probably because they are still searching for a easy way to do the soft downgrade on 11.0).
Please stop asking for a tutorial guide like for this method, this only will make nintendo patch that way to do a soft downgrade and maybe some devs need it to something
then whats the point of having the method if no ones going to release it?
it sounds selfish to me because including me there are a lot of people want to downgrade from 11.0 but can't because they're limited to softmodding.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart: ye