Hardware Switch super underpowered according to Respawn Entertainment

Silverthorn

Spiky!
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Of course, not all of them get one

Thanks for listing the exceptions. These are not the kind of games that are filling the Xbox One and PS4 libraries. I did say most games by Sony and Microsoft. By the way Horizon: Zero Dawn isn't out yet and Guerrila Games said that it's the most risky proposition of all that they had in development. If you've been playing Mario Kart since the SNES days you'd know how many experiments in gameplay Nintendo has tried in the Mario Kart series.
I wasn't listing exceptions, but exemples I had in mind (because I'm hyped about them).
Want some more ? Here we go:
Dishonored 2, GTA V, Inside, Witcher 3, Titanfall 2, Divinity Original Sin, FF15, Evolve...
No they're not all console exclusives ? So what ? I can still play them on my console(but probably not on Switch).

And telling me that Mario Kart has changed since the SNES days ? You think FF hasn't changed? GTA ?
Most of the major franchises have seen their gameplay evolve in the last years, are you saying everyone else but Nintendo is stuck in SNES days ?
Get out of your bubble.

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wasn't listing exceptions, but exemples I had in mind (because I'm hyped about them).
Want some more ? Here we go:
Dishonored 2, GTA V, Inside, Witcher 3, Titanfall 2, Divinity Original Sin, FF15, Evolve...
No they're not all console exclusives ? So what ? I can still play them on my console(but probably not on Switch).

And telling me that Mario Kart has changed since the SNES days ? You think FF hasn't changed? GTA ?
Most of the major franchises have seen their gameplay evolve in the last years, are you saying everyone else but Nintendo is stuck in SNES days ?
Get out of your bubble.
Well, it matters for me. If I can play them on PC, them also being available on ps4/one doesn't matter to me. Both can be hooked up to my tv and played with ps4/one controllers if I really wanted to (I prefer a 144hz 2k monitor though). Exclusivity is all I care about, really. And that's a bit of a smaller pool (disclaimer: I have ps4, and I have a lot of fun with it with friends. PS4 is brilliant, it's just my PC is more brilliant :P)

So being able to play any of those games on the go will make me buy them again. I'd also probably prefer buying them for the switch for the option of being able to play them on the go. So I'll be hoping for 3rd party support and will be sad if the switch never gets it. But until we see how that's going to go, mario kart is going to be great for flirting with people and ask them out on dates afterwards.

Reactions: Spore2

Exaltys

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Once the Switch gets off the ground with some Nintendo games, the climate of best setup will just shift from PC + Wii U to PC + Switch.

Spore2

Trophies
XP
Country
Well, it matters for me. If I can play them on PC, them also being available on ps4/one doesn't matter to me. Both can be hooked up to my tv and played with ps4/one controllers if I really wanted to (I prefer a 144hz 2k monitor though). Exclusivity is all I care about, really. And that's a bit of a smaller pool (disclaimer: I have ps4, and I have a lot of fun with it with friends. PS4 is brilliant, it's just my PC is more brilliant :P)

So being able to play any of those games on the go will make me buy them again. I'd also probably prefer buying them for the switch for the option of being able to play them on the go. So I'll be hoping for 3rd party support and will be sad if the switch never gets it. But until we see how that's going to go, mario kart is going to be great for flirting with people and ask them out on dates afterwards.

I don't know. These games already have a home in the PS4 and Xbox One. However, if the Switch port of Skyrim sales performs well, more of these kind of ports will happen.

Reactions: osaka35

Lord M

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Well if your only desire for gaming are Mario, Zelda and Splatoon then sure, the Switch is tailored for you. Just like the Wii U was. Look how that ended up.
You should remember that your tastes aren't universal, and that you don't really represent the "average" gamer, which Nintendo has to somehow appeal to if they want to sell to others than their fanbase.

It will depend on how customers view it though. Just saying "It's a powerful handheld" might not convince people if they see it as a home console due to the vague "hybrid" term used by Nintendo.
Yeah, i agree with this, the majority its important, but it is not always the best.
We still have a millions and millions of idiots that like/ prefer zombie parkour champions instead of original, slow, creepy, threatening zombies, but this doesn't mean that those fake zombies are better than the original ones.

Reactions: kehkou

Spore2

Trophies
XP
Country
Apparently Nintendo only makes Mario, Zelda and Splatoon according to one of our fellow temps. Not Xenoblade Chronicles, Pokemon, Fire Emblem, Metroid Prime, Donkey Kong Country, etc, etc.

NakedFaerie

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Australia
Doesn't anyone remember what the game devs said about the WiiU? They didn't make any games for it because it was underpowered and their games cant or wont be shrunk for the WiiU system as it cant handle them.
Well history repeats itself again. The Switch is too underpowered so no good games will be coming to it. It will be dead before it even gets released just like the WiiU and its NintenDOHs own fault for making a system 5 years too late. Actually, is the PS3 better than the switch? Maybe its even 10 years too late.
Anyway, its a fail from me. Not going to get one. I got a WiiU and got burned by that and not going to repeat that again. 1 failed console is enough for me.

BTW, I'm a handheld console fan. I love my N3DSXL, PSP GO, Vita, PSP, DSL, ETC... The Switch would be awesome if someone else released it. Its NintenDOH thats the problem.
If $ony released the Switch it would be called Vita 2. It would have better hardware. All game devs would want to make games for it as it would have the abilities to play PS4 quality games on it.
NintenDOH are crap. They make crap consoles. Look at the WiiU. Its got a 10yo touch screen, its fat and klunky like a toddlers toy, its got games toddlers would love, its just all round crap compared to the PS4. GUI is kiddy like, console is kiddy like, games are kiddy like.
Yea, I said NintenDOH are crap and I'm right. That also goes for the 3DS. Where is GTA on the 3DS? Where is Titalfall on the WiiU? Where is Project Cars on the WiiU? Where is Killzone on the 3DS? Nowhere, why? coz they are kiddy consoels. The PS4 and Vita both have Killzone. PS4 has Titanfall 2, GTA, even the PSP has GTA. 3 games actually. 3DS has none. WiiU has none of them either.

Where is Project Cars on WiiU??? It was cancelled 1 month before release. WHY? I dont know but the devs cancelled it. I think it has something to do with NintenDOH, not the WiiU console.

Anyway, the Switch will fail from lack of good games and its at least 5 years too late.
I bet I will be right. Just look at the WiiU and you will see I will be right about the Switch.

Last edited by NakedFaerie,

Silverthorn

Spiky!
Trophies
XP
Country
France

Agreed with your point, but the thing is we get back to the 3rd party support question once again.
And as I've said in another post, if Nintendo doesn't care about REALLY showing it as an hybrid console, I don't see 3rd party editors biting.
In the end it's all about the games, and Nintendo has to start showing some real support for their console if they don't want another failure.
You can't afford to test the waters when it's your own console and it has so much to prove.
I actually like Nintendo and want them to succeed, but i'm critical enough to feel that they're not doing things the right way and not to buy everything they make faithfully.

AxlSt00pid

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
This attitude is what really kills a videogame console.
Really? "Oh, it won't have what I thought, I won't buy it then" Well guess what? less sales = less interest in developing official games = faster kill of the console
Switch isn't even out and people already starts bitchin' about it, we have to see what things have to come in the near future ffs.
Not that I'm not complaining about this attitude, but thinking and acting like this surely kills consoles

Last edited by AxlSt00pid,

mechagouki

Kill 'em all...
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Lots of people getting a little heated here, over something that's not too important in the grand scheme of things.

I think "fanboy" bias often makes these threads combative and that skews perspective. I've been playing video games at home since the Atari 2600 was a current gen console, and whilst I don't claim that makes me an unquestionable authority (age=/=wisdom), I have observed a few things over the years that are pertinent to this conversation.

On the Switch home console/hybrid/handheld question: This is a semantic argument and could roll on for pages with no resolution. You could hook a SEGA Nomad up to a TV and it played Geneis games, but it was definitely a handheld. PSP 2000/3000/Go also had TV out, and played PS1 games perfectly, but I never heard anyone call them hybrids (there's even an official dock for the PSPGo). maybe a hybrid console is actually a new thing, that does happen sometimes you know.

If we accept for a moment that the Switch is a handheld, does that mitigate its low (compared to generation rivals) performance specs? Well, the Vita is a powerhouse of a handheld (or does the existence of PSTV make it a hybrid?), that can produce some remarkable graphics, but that's not something I've heard talked about much, most conversations about the Vita revolve around how it's failing and has no good exclusive games (which is not true IMO, but off-topic).

This leads to my next point: So many threads on the temp are dominated by people chucking technical specifications around and using them as some way of divining the fortunes of a console, but history just doesn't support this theory, there are plenty of examples where a weaker console has emerged as the clear sales leader in a generation. For example:

PS2 massively outsold XBOX, Gamecube and of course, the poor old Dreamcast, but graphically it's the weakest of the group. When the first PS2 imports arrived in the shop I worked in back in 2000 we set one up playing Tekken Tag Tournament next to a Dreamcast playing Soul Calibur, same developer, same genre and not one customer who saw the two side by side thought the PS2 was the superior machine. Dreamcast and XBOX had visually stunning games while developers were stll trying to cure the "jaggies" on PS2. Nonetheless, PS2 absolutely owned that generation (and every other generation if you just count units sold).

If you put handhelds under the same magnifying glass: Game Gear, Lynx, NeoGeo Pocket were all considerably more graphically impressive than GameBoy, but most people know how that one played out.

Last night, after reading a thread on the subject of Metroid games elsewhere on GBATemp, I sat down to play Metroid: Other M, a game I'd ignored up until now because I had heard it wasn't such a great game , especially compared to the Prime trilogy. Well, the game is actually pretty fun, a little simplistic and easy compared to most Metroids, but enjoyable enough that I sat in front of it for four hours. Now I was playing this game in 480p resolution on my 40" TV, and not once did I find myself thinking "this game would be way more fun if the graphics were running at 60fps 1080p".

So, don't get hung up on power, that alone doesn't make or break a console. 3rd party support on the other hand is important, as is marketing and public perception of a console. I think Nintendo has taken some missteps with their Switch marketing thus far, and I maintain their pricing is borderline delusional.

Will the Switch's failure kill Nintendo? Not as long as Pokemon is a thing. That said, it might be the last "home" console they make if it doesn't do well. Sega had fails with the 32X, Saturn and Dreamcast and had to abandon hardware manufacture to stay in existence, which they've managed to do. Nintendo has a ton of valuable IP, they've already swallowed their pride and released on a non-Nintendo platform (Super Mario Run), I'm sure they have a contingency plan should the Switch "experiment" fail.

Last edited by mechagouki,

Silverthorn

Spiky!
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Apparently Nintendo only makes Mario, Zelda and Splatoon according to one of our fellow temps. Not Xenoblade Chronicles, Pokemon, Fire Emblem, Metroid Prime, Donkey Kong Country, etc, etc.

A jab at me, I presume ? Let me laugh if I truly ever said that. But keep twisting my words if it makes you feel happier.

I agree with you, it's all about the games in my opinion. What's worrying me is the launch catalogue, not the specs.

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, no titanfall on switch. Who care?

How do you know ? He has no proof. Wait until after Switch is release and see what 3rd Party is going to be. I don't need the rumours any longer. Its annoying and too much assumption around. I will sit back and wait until after Switch is release and 3rd party games list after. That's simple.

BlackWizzard17

Don't worry Captin we'll buff out those scratches.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lots of people getting a little heated here, over something that's not too important in the grand scheme of things.

PS2 massively outsold XBOX, Gamecube and of course, the poor old Dreamcast, but graphically it's the weakest of the group. When the first PS2 imports arrived in the shop I worked in back in 2000 we set one up playing Tekken Tag Tournament next to a Dreamcast playing Soul Calibur, same developer, same genre and not one customer who saw the two side by side thought the PS2 ws the superior machine. Dreamcast and XBOX had viually stunning games while dvelopers were stll trying to cure the "jaggies" on PS2. Nonetheless, PS2 absolutely owned that generation (and every other genertion if you just count units sold).
The Dreamcast was doing very well, but there where many many reasons why the ps2 massively outsold its comp. Despite it being weaker than GC and Xbox and DC, It was also marketed as a dvd player, one of the cheapest ones on the market as well as a full home video game console. It was a two in one deal especially since Cd/dvd started to blow up. It also had a huge fanbase from the already incredible ps1 where as the DC came from a somewhat failed line of systems (sega cd, 32x and saturn). It was also easy to devolope for and was able to hold much more data than the GC which required some compression in games even though some games looked way better and ran better. At last a shit ton of games were just devloped for the system which really sparked interest, XBOX just kind of join late although it was superior in every way.

Reactions: mechagouki

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
the game was prob too violent, mean and not kiddy enough for nintendo so they turned their games down :P
I know you are joking, but for reference, after this, all such claims are automatically invalidated:

mh2.jpg

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
This is more of the same "power wars"...

Ultra Hi-Res Graphics and the "best" processor", don't make an excelent console, it just makes it the most "powerful?". But it means nothing without really fun games.
Games Industry keep selling the idea that a "limited or exclusive content edition" of a game makes the diference between consoles and it doesn't. It still IS the same game, even when comparing the graphics or the FPS (Frames Per Second).

Real players don't care about Hi-Res graphics, but about fun, and that is the key for a good console. Take the Vita as and example, it is in fact an excellent handheld console, but Sony ruined it without good games and ridiculously expensive memory cards. And don't start saying that it can have a CFW nowadays, it's out of the point here.

mechagouki

Kill 'em all...
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The Dreamcast was doing very well, but there where many many reasons why the ps2 massively outsold its comp. Despite it being weaker than GC and Xbox and DC, It was also marketed as a dvd player, one of the cheapest ones on the market as well as a full home video game console. It was a two in one deal especially since Cd/dvd started to blow up. It also had a huge fanbase from the already incredible ps1 where as the DC came from a somewhat failed line of systems (sega cd, 32x and saturn). It was also easy to devolope for and was able to hold much more data than the GC which required some compression in games even though some games looked way better and ran better. At last a shit ton of games were just devloped for the system which really sparked interest, XBOX just kind of join late although it was superior in every way.

The DVD player thing definitely helped sales, although the first Japanese units I saw required you to install a file from a CD (included in the box) onto a memory card (not included in box) to enable DVD playback, how clunky is that?! I seem to remember it wouldn't play DVD over component at first either - was that ever fixed? For sure the PS1 fanbase, which included a huge number of "new to video gaming" young adults was a factor, though it's by no means a guarantee of success, as evinced by Wii/Wii U.

Nikki_swap

The Lewdest
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What is this 900p meme peole leep using as an argument? I thouvht only Elda ran at that resolution since mario kart and splatoon run at 1080p 60 when docked.

xile6

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah idk. They said the wii u was under power but some games look very good.
There was even a COD on it for those who care.
So i believe you can turn out great games without all that power. It just needs better coding. Dev tend to get lazy or set in what they know so thats why the dont go to over systems.
Its not always the system fault.

I think a lot the games that didnt come out on the wii u was due to the fact that people still had problems with thinking the wii u was just a wii with a new controller.
That put alot of people off and they didnt buy the wii u. So the game devs said why make a game for a system if no one will buy it and we lose money.

Thats what i think about it.
The switch is something new and has a new name and look. So i believe alot of game dev will try to put new games on it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @K3Nv2, 4th what?