Hardware Switch super underpowered according to Respawn Entertainment

kumikochan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
A developer has finally spoken out.
Titanfall 2 senior designer Mohammad Alavi recently spoke with Drunk Tech Review about Nintendo Switch, saying that he likes the console but noted that it is very under-powered compared to the PS4 and Xbox One. When he was asked whether or not Titanfall 2 would ever come to the Nintendo Switch, he replied with a very definitive “F*** no! You’re not going to be able to fit Titanfall 2 on the Nintendo Switch.”

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
A developer has finally spoken out.
Titanfall 2 senior designer Mohammad Alavi recently spoke with Drunk Tech Review about Nintendo Switch, saying that he likes the console but noted that it is very under-powered compared to the PS4 and Xbox One. When he was asked whether or not Titanfall 2 would ever come to the Nintendo Switch, he replied with a very definitive “F*** no! You’re not going to be able to fit Titanfall 2 on the Nintendo Switch.”
"Fit" - i.e. the 32GB carts are too small for some games like titanfall, not that it can't handle scaled back unreal 4 games in general.

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo can easily up the max cart size for games over time, the DS started out at 8 and 16MB games and later on Pokemon BW2 was on a 512MB size cart.

I see no reason Nintendo will not be able to have games on a 64GB cart later on.

kumikochan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
it's a handheld not a console so of course it's not going to be on par with the ps4one :P
I'm just copying what the dev from respawn entertainment said. But even so it should atleast come close to an Xbox one and atleast use ANTI ALIASING wich is horrible if they don't use it in lower resolution games. If it runs games in 720p 900p and can't even handle anti aliasing says enough that is doesn't even come close or half of an xbox one in graphical power. Yeah games should be fun instead of graphical but the switch has to run for 5 years and games running in 720P without anti aliasing after 2018 19 2020 etc means it won't get the 3th party support it needs. If the ps4 wich handles 1080P most games with anti aliasing and better shadowing was called underpowered in 2013 then what do you think 3th party devs will call the switch after 2017 ?

Kourin

Touhou Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
it's a handheld not a console so of course it's not going to be on par with the ps4one :P
It's supposed to be a hybrid; and the Switch being underpowered is going to be a huge problem in terms of third party support. Devs aren't going to want to spend time and money downgrading their games for the Switch.

kumikochan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
It's only under-powered if the games are designed to run on more powerful hardware. Games designed specifically for the Switch should run just fine.

Surely nobody was going to buy a Switch for cross-platform ports?
People who bought previously Nintendo consoles probably won't but seeing how much of a succes the Wii U was it seems most people do ! 3th party support is everything if a console wants to be succesful, without 3th party support it won't. No developer wants to downgrade games to 720p and 900p without the use of anti aliasing in 2017 and even cutting sound quality and so forth to make it fit a switch cartridge and even less going forward to the future.

k3rizz3k

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Exactly the reason I am waiting a bit to get one.. To make sure it's got support for a decent game library

Zense

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
It's only under-powered if the games are designed to run on more powerful hardware. Games designed specifically for the Switch should run just fine.

Surely nobody was going to buy a Switch for cross-platform ports?
Well, there's that infamous 3rd party support. I imagined cross-platform titles would constitute some part of that.

The more I think of the Switch the more I see it as a perfect gaming tablet. It basically fixes the problem with iPads and android tablets were you only have touch screen control.

What would make me buy the switch is the fact that you could sit on the plane, train whatever with your gf or friend and have some good gaming experience. What else I would've loved is streaming or media playback, though. The lack of that kinda ruins my vision for the Switch.

Next thing this guy from tit-an'-fall will say is that the iPad is underwhelming compared to the ps4 and xbone.

Edit: Yes, I know tablets can have gamepads too, but they're not even close to the discreetness of the joycons, whatever the ergonomic difference might be.

Last edited by Zense,

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
they can describe it all the want it won't change what it is and that it does not stand a chance against ps4/xbox. so stop comparing it to them you need to compare this to the 3ds/vita only.

Reactions: migles

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.the-sun.com/news/10907833/self-checkout-complaints-new-target-dollar-general-policies...