Hardware Switch super underpowered according to Respawn Entertainment

Lord M

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
No they won't. If this fails there won't be any coming back.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Some people do and some don't but that's not the point. The point is that Nintendo is gonna lose 3th party support all over again and fail thx to that. Nintendo doesn't like to listen to anyone besides themselves.
Meh, those realistic-games are useless anyway. Let ps4 and X1 got those shits.
The important things on switch, are that will have the classics nintendo's series like mario and zelda (and pokemon); the rest doesn't matter.
Less powerful than ps4 for sure, but equally sure - at least for me - switch will be better and more fun than ps4 movie-player.

Reactions: Spore2

sephiro499

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No they won't. If this fails there won't be any coming back.

Adam koralik said in one of his videos that if the switch fails, it doesn't matter whether nintendo can weather the financial storm, no 3rd party will ever work with them. I agree. If Nintendo can get by with just 1st party support, then ok. The console strikes me more as a handheld with an hdmi port then a hybrid, or whatever colorful language big N is using.

MarioFanatic64

The guy who does things
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Nintendo consoles were technical powerhouses before the Wii

It may be an underpowered home console, but from a handheld perspective, the Switch is a miracle. Compare to the 3DS. You can't expect a current gen handheld to possess the same power as a dedicated home console from companies who've been leading the industry in power for a decade.

D

Deleted User

"Fit" - i.e. the 32GB carts are too small for some games like titanfall, not that it can't handle scaled back unreal 4 games in general.
titanfall 1 and 2 run on a modified source engine

Well, I think Nintendo has never stood out by its "power"

the underpowered-ness started with the wii, the gamecube was more powerful than the ps2

kumikochan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
It may be an underpowered home console, but from a handheld perspective, the Switch is a miracle. Compare to the 3DS. You can't expect a current gen handheld to possess the same power as a dedicated home console from companies who've been leading the industry in power for a decade.
But it's not a handheld and people should stop comparing it as a handheld. It's a Hybrid console stated by Nintendo itself so people should stop comparing it to a handheld because it isn't a handheld. And they would have been able to keep up if they supported the Wii U a bit longer instead of 4 years and not rushing it out the door because they want to get rid off the Wii U name. If they kept supporting the Wii U for maybe another 2 years and used Pascal then they would have had a hybrid console that generates less heat plus is more energy efficient and would keep up with the xbox one and ps4 for the time being meaning they would have 3th party support. Again it's not a handheld but a hybrid !

Reactions: kineticUk

Silverthorn

Spiky!
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Meh, those realistic-games are useless anyway. Let ps4 and X1 got those shits.
The important things on switch, are that will have the classics nintendo's series like mario and zelda (and pokemon); the rest doesn't matter.
Less powerful than ps4 for sure, but equally sure - at least for me - switch will be better and more fun than ps4 movie-player.
Well if your only desire for gaming are Mario, Zelda and Splatoon then sure, the Switch is tailored for you. Just like the Wii U was. Look how that ended up.
You should remember that your tastes aren't universal, and that you don't really represent the "average" gamer, which Nintendo has to somehow appeal to if they want to sell to others than their fanbase.

It will depend on how customers view it though. Just saying "It's a powerful handheld" might not convince people if they see it as a home console due to the vague "hybrid" term used by Nintendo.

Reactions: geodeath

MarioFanatic64

The guy who does things
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
But it's not a handheld and people should stop comparing it as a handheld. It's a Hybrid console stated by Nintendo itself so people should stop comparing it to a handheld because it isn't a handheld. And they would have been able to keep up if they supported the Wii U a bit longer instead of 4 years and not rushing it out the door because they want to get rid off the Wii U name. If they kept supporting the Wii U for maybe another 2 years and used Pascal then they would have had a hybrid console that generates less heat plus is more energy efficient and would keep up with the xbox one and ps4 for the time being meaning they would have 3th party support. Again it's not a handheld but a hybrid !

Yes, it's a hybrid. That doesn't mean that it's not a handheld. Literally, the entire console is being held in your hand. It's a handheld.

Technology can't just miraculously advance 10 years because you use a different word for it.

kumikochan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Yes, it's a hybrid. That doesn't mean that it's not a handheld. Literally, the entire console is being held in your hand. It's a handheld.

Technology can't just miraculously advance 10 years because you use a different word for it.
Yeah it can. It means supporting the Wii U for 2 years extra and using Pascal

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

the underpowered-ness started with the wii, the gamecube was more powerful than the ps2
Technically you're right, but the gamecube came out 16 years ago. I really don't think that's relevant anymore, and everything they've made since then has been not very technologically impressive. Expecting them to suddenly turn around after that much time, two consoles and two handheld generations seems more ridiculous to me.

D

Deleted User

Technically you're right, but the gamecube came out 16 years ago. I really don't think that's relevant anymore, and everything they've made since then has been not very technologically impressive. Expecting them to suddenly turn around after that much time, two consoles and two handheld generations seems more ridiculous to me.
they didn't go back to high end hardware because of the wii being sucessful, and as i quote in the video "was just an overclocked gamecube" if the wii wasn't so sucessful i'm sure they would still be doing more powerful systems

Arubaro

Soulspace Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country

Let me rephrase what I said:
Nintendo have not stood out on "power" almost during the last 15 years (or I would have to say, "nowadays")
Not yesterday or 5-10 years ago... from my point of view, not much difference

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
The system really isn't going to fail, Nintendo's first party games always keep their systems afloat.
But it is going to fail in the 3rd Party category (again.) Nintendo's underwhelming specs have been their greatest downfall since the Wii. It's great to keep focusing on innovation, but they need to also remember to be competitive. They aren't winning over 3rd party devs with weak hardware.

Last edited by The Catboy,

Tigran

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Considering most AAA 3rd party devs are spending to much of their time and money worrying about newest hardware... maybe they -should- scale back some.

Some of the indies seem to be doing pretty damn good with their lower budget games.

Spore2

Trophies
XP
Country
Watched the video. Alavi based his assessment on the assumption that BOW a game on the Switch is also running on the Wii U. Of course, as a developer his interest is being able to port his games quickly to many different systems. If they were to port Titanfall to the Switch, they'd have to redo a lot of assets and that would take work but it can be done. Hyrule Warriors was ported to the 3DS, a system that is probably a tenth of the Wii U's power. That and many other Wii U ports to the 3DS show in practice that Alavi's claims are not true. It only exposes his interest as a third party developer.

Reactions: DrkBeam

InsaneNutter

Trophies
Website
digiex.net
XP
Country
If you look at high end phones / tablets the raw processing power is insane compared to the 3DS and even the last generation of home consoles.

That's where the switch sits, no its not going to be as powerful an Xbox One or PS4. However the switch is the first "HD" handheld console, which happens to be able to dock to a TV and do up 1080p.

As always though Nintendo's console is going to be in a difficult position for 3rd party support, the current generation of consoles are all x86-64 based like a PC, the switch is the oddball here been ARM based and under powered in comparison. This means developers have to put a lot more time in to a newer consoles that is under powered compared to everything else their currently developing on.

Let's be honest though i don't think many people are buying Nintendo consoles for the 3rd party support, i know it would be nice to have, but the different experience and Nintendo exclusives like Mario Kart and Pokemon are eventually what keeps me coming back to Nintendo consoles, even if i don't buy them at launch.

Reactions: leonmagnus99

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nothing prevents the New Switch in 2 years with upgraded chips. The whole industry is changing we have to stop thinking in the 5-6 year generation model. No one expects to get 5-6 years of top end performance out of their $700 phone or tablet.

For those complaining about battery life, even my iPad Air 2 drains really, really fast when full on gaming (which I don't do but my kids will on road trips). There is a solution for that anyway called a power bank. They can be expensive but some smart shopping and you can find quality inexpensive ones that fit your needs.

I forget the exact size of the Switch battery but I think it is around 4K mAh about the same size as an iPad mini. Worst case that gets you two hours full tilt wireless gaming. A 20k mA power bank that fits in your pocket adds at least another 8 hours, with enough juice left over to top off your phone or phablet. Most will probably be fine with a 10k mA power bank the size of a chocolate bar. A far better solution for any hand held device than putting some huge heavy battery in the device itself.

Last edited by thorasgar,

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A developer has finally spoken out.
Titanfall 2 senior designer Mohammad Alavi recently spoke with Drunk Tech Review about Nintendo Switch, saying that he likes the console but noted that it is very under-powered compared to the PS4 and Xbox One. When he was asked whether or not Titanfall 2 would ever come to the Nintendo Switch, he replied with a very definitive “F*** no! You’re not going to be able to fit Titanfall 2 on the Nintendo Switch.”

Stop believe with Drunk Tech. He can just go away.

Reactions: leonmagnus99

arianadark

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i dont understand the issue with the battery life, wasnt for my 3ds and when i wanted more time to play i just bought a higher capacity battery for it, now i play on my 3ds over 8 hours on a charge, the same will happen for the switch.

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
But it's not a handheld and people should stop comparing it as a handheld. It's a Hybrid console stated by Nintendo itself so people should stop comparing it to a handheld because it isn't a handheld.
Fukk me sideways mon, Yes it IS a handheld! :lol:

You've clearly lost this argument, just accept what basically everyone else is saying - of course it's being marketed as a 'hybrid', the 3DS is selling well at the moment, Nintendo aren't daft enough to kill any sales off by saying the successor is just around the corner... Nobody in their right mind expected to see Skyrim on the 3DS because it's a handheld, same applies here.

As for your battery life argument, apparently you can get 3 hours playing Breath of the Wild out of it... that's not THAT much worse than the 3DS or Vita

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
Well duh, it's a portable console.
Whats a "portable" console when its at home? I have heard of a portable handheld, is a console not a home device and a handheld portable, seems a bit confused to me I always thought to believe it was the next generation console and portable means to be easily carried or moved, well your not going to carry the whole switch console with you and I would of thought the next generation portable Nintendo device would follow on from the N3DSXL, which is portable :wacko: bet you that's got you in a bit of a twaddle, it has me! :)

Last edited by Reecey,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Good.