Hacking Super Mario RPG: Legend of 7 Stars

zhdarkstar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can think of at least two on PC that emulate the game perfectly, Snes9x and Bsnes :P The DS will never have the power, even with this emulator and the DSTWO.

The only way this could ever be feasibly possible with a DS would be in the hands of a highly skilled coder capable of efficiently getting the MIPS processor of the DSTWO and the ARM7 & ARM9 processors of the DS to work in concert to provide the processing. Even then, that would still be less than 500 MHz of total processing power and 4 MB of RAM to work with. The only real hope of proper SMRPG on a Nintendo handheld would come either from a VC release (wishful thinking) or an emulator written for the 3DS. Even then, that's still not much more total processing power than the MIPS/ARM hybrid coded emulator I wrote about earlier.

HolySith

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Eek, I can't understand most of what was said in the last few replies though I will try out those PC emulators another user mentioned. Now just to find a lesson on how to do it then I will be golden.

Thank you all very much for your input and advice! It's very appreciated!

zhdarkstar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Eek, I can't understand most of what was said in the last few replies though I will try out those PC emulators another user mentioned. Now just to find a lesson on how to do it then I will be golden.

Thank you all very much for your input and advice! It's very appreciated!

My technobabble above is essentially the "why" to the_randomizer's statement about the DS not having enough power to properly emulate SMRPG, even under best-case scenarios. The next part was extending that logic to the 3DS based on the sum of its processors. The higher amount of RAM in the 3DS might be the difference-maker now that I think about it. However, it still remains unknown what the 3DS is going to be capable of, in terms of emulation, until we see the homebrew scene develop out of its infancy.

Ronanklan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi all, brand new here but I've been reading up on ROMS and such. I'm so sorry if something similar has been posted before but I tried my best to do searches and what not for the compatibility of this game.

Anyway, I'm totally new using ROMs and Flashcarts in general--the 3DS Noob sticky has some good info for me to get started for sure!

I just purchased a 3DS XL and desperately want to play Super Mario RPG LotST from SNES on it; however, I've read in a few places that this particular game may cause issues as people have had trouble emulating the game due to some special chip on the original or whatever; however, from the link in the 3DS Noob sticky, the game isn't listed as one that's problematic.

I'm really sorry if this post annoys anyone if it's been asked before--I'm not very tech-savvy and I tried to do searches to see if anyone's mentioned this game before.

Anyhelp would be greatly appreciated!

Basically the short answer you are looking for is this..

NO, you cannot play it and have it be a good experience on the 3DS...

I have tried using injectors to create cias out of that game but it straight up tells you when you try to do it...

"This game will NOT run. However, you CAN run it on an emulator on your PC"

I even tried different sources for the ROMs before i would try to inject them into a cia...

that is the ONLY game that will NOT let me create a cia out of it..

by the way i want to make cias out of the ROMs so i can use FBI to install it on my 3DS...

FYI

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Basically the short answer you are looking for is this..

NO, you cannot play it and have it be a good experience on the 3DS...

I have tried using injectors to create cias out of that game but it straight up tells you when you try to do it...

"This game will NOT run. However, you CAN run it on an emulator on your PC"

I even tried different sources for the ROMs before i would try to inject them into a cia...

that is the ONLY game that will NOT let me create a cia out of it..

by the way i want to make cias out of the ROMs so i can use FBI to install it on my 3DS...

FYI
You do realize this thread is 4 years old?
But I believe Snes9x for Old 3DS should run it (that works on n3DS too)

enderer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it runs very well on o3ds using snes 9x for 3ds, installed as a cia so it has administrative priviliges or whatever

Ronanklan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You do realize this thread is 4 years old?
But I believe Snes9x for Old 3DS should run it (that works on n3DS too)

Sorry i didnt look at the date of the post...

My Injection tool was giving me this pop up about the game not running correctly every time i tried to create a cia of Mario RPG to install on my N2DS XL...

So i decided to just skip it...

When i googled about the pop up this thread was one of the search results..

again i apologize...

i guess i should have made a new thread about it?

i just thought a new thread would be a bad idea...

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

But from what you arae saying..

I should be able to create a cia out of a ROM of that game?

And it will install and play correctly on my New 2DS XL?

Really?

Ronanklan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wound up finding a cia version of Mario RPG online, and I just installed it.. Now I am going to try it...

Ill post how it plays...
Well it seems to play just fine NO problems whatsoever.. However.. I thought i remembered this game having graphics similar to Mario 64 i guess i was wrong.. i mean it was on SNES anyways right?

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well it seems to play just fine NO problems whatsoever.. However.. I thought i remembered this game having graphics similar to Mario 64 i guess i was wrong.. i mean it was on SNES anyways right?

It used SGI/CG 2D graphics in an isometric view, nothing 3D was used. It used the SA-1 chip.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well two different console generations usually yield different hardware and programming so, there no way that snes games can look like N64 games. :P

The SA-1 chip inside the game makes it possible to get the graphical aesthetic it has which was ground breaking at the time when people thought the consoles reached the limits of what it can be done, instead of new console, new hardware inside the carts made up for it. :)

Ronanklan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well two different console generations usually yield different hardware and programming so, there no way that snes games can look like N64 games. :P

The SA-1 chip inside the game makes it possible to get the graphical aesthetic it has which was ground breaking at the time when people thought the consoles reached the limits of what it can be done, instead of new console, new hardware inside the carts made up for it. :)

Wow that is amazing i never knew that! THanks!

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow that is amazing i never knew that! THanks!
The snes console itself and the games are capable of some wicked "magical" things at the time which made it revolutionary. For being low cost and inexpensive unlike consoles like neo geo for having huge bulky carts at the goal of arcade perfect games but ridiculous price for home console, or early cd technology that was a add on to existing consoles.

SNES chips was more of a show stealer than the console having mode 7, 512X480 resolution support and surround sound in rare games. But the carts themself have more than meets the eye. You can see them here. When clever programming didn't suffice to break console limitations, these did. :P

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Super_NES_enhancement_chips

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Not a lot, just relaxing