Hacking Stupid question... what is RedNAND, and what are the benefits?

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Since you mentioned CBHC, I've been wondering how safe that is too...
A lot, if you can read and understand the instructions (ie, make sure the DS game can be run without CFW, do not remove the account that bought it or factory reset without first "uninstalling" (actually, disabling) CBHC) - 100% of failures proven to be linked to CBHC have been caused by the entity between the gamepad and the chair

What kind of "screwups" are you referring to that CBHC can help you recover from?
CBHC is actually the combination of two, technically independent, things:
1- the official DS emulator can have its files replaced, resulting in homebrew running - in the case of CBHC, said homebrew provides a boot menu (plus, depending on the chosen option, a CFW); and as far as the console is concerned, that thing is still a valid DS game
2- any application on internal storage can be forced to be the default application (instead of the usual "Wii U Menu")

Installing CBHC sets up 1+2; disabling CBHC (whether via the installer, by manually editing the file with the default app setting, by installing a Wii U Menu update...) only reverts 2, and that is perfectly fine, leaving you with an icon that when run starts CBHC manually

But if CBHC is currently the default app, Wii U Menu isn't, therefore problems with Wii U Menu wouldn't make the console effectively unbootable
(in practice, unless you are actively messing with Wii U Menu, that's not a realistic problem, since there's no such thing as a WiiU banner brick)

---

Also, the WiiU scene has been plagued by a lot of disinformation and "fake news", such as "installing foreign games will brick", that were trivially debunked by doing exactly that...

Last edited by Ryccardo,
Reactions: OzKenny1983

OzKenny1983

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
lol gotta love a good 'ol fashioned case of PEBKAC (or PEBGAC as the case may be)! :P

CBHC is actually the combination of two, technically independent, things...
Hmm OK, very interesting! Thanks for that! Up until this point, I've been too scared by the warnings on their website and the plentitude of misinformation out there, but I may give it a try after all.

Also, the WiiU scene has been plagued by a lot of disinformation and "fake news", such as "installing foreign games will brick", that were trivially debunked by doing exactly that...
lol tell me about it...although I would've believed it all until I successfully installed Haxchi a second time the other day, after being told that I couldn't. That guy has been a close and personal friend of mine for years, a brilliant developer and a very intelligent person all-round, but he was obviously wrong in that case!

Wilmy

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Okay, so my non-modded Wii U is bricked after restoring the system via the settings menu and is stuck on the "Deleting All Content and Settings" screen. I've never modded a console before, but am tech savvy & know my way around IT reasonably well. I'm aware that without a console specific NAND dump (which I don't have) I'm unable to restore the original system.

My question is, is it possible to boot a bricked Wii U from a second NAND installed on a flash drive, or other external device, bypassing the Wii U's corrupt system NAND?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
can't. I think you need the seeprom to access the mlc partition where the game was stored. the nand decrypting tools won't decrypt it with the otp.bin. the otp.bin is all you really need, since it can decrypt the nand via a hard mod. did you have cbhc installed?

Wilmy

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
can't. I think you need the seeprom to access the mlc partition where the game was stored. the nand decrypting tools won't decrypt it with the otp.bin. the otp.bin is all you really need, since it can decrypt the nand via a hard mod. did you have cbhc installed?

I have no idea what cbhc is, so I guess not. My console is stock standard with no mods, or hacks etc.

abda

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
CBHC is haxchi that auto boots the cfw when booting up the system. I do not think you can do that because it's a standard Wii U. I can be wrong so if anyone knows more about this stuff please correct me.

BaamAlex

UDE GA NARU ZE!
Trophies
Website
hmpg.net
XP
Country
Germany
CBHC is haxchi that auto boots the cfw when booting up the system. I do not think you can do that because it's a standard Wii U. I can be wrong so if anyone knows more about this stuff please correct me.
CBHC can be installed on a normal wii u. It doesn't need a rednand or something like this. It only needs a legitimately bought game from the eshop to work properly.

Reactions: jeannotte

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: good deepfake