Rock me Dr. Zaius
Trophies
Website
www.ds-scene.net
XP
Country
United States
TehSkull said:
No that's exactly what's illegal under the DMCA. Don't get me wrong, I don't approve of the DMCA but it clearly states in Page 5, Section 103 (h

QUOTEIn the first case of its kind, a man from Southern California is set to go on trial Tuesday on criminal charges of circumventing digital rights management (DRM) by modifying Microsoft's Xbox 360 console.
It appears to be in violation of the DMCA, right, but no one has ever been charged for it before. Therefore the outcome of this trial will set the legal precedent for future cases involving Xbox modifications (and potentially other systems too). That is the whole point of this trial.

Its important to read up on the history of the DMCA, its a tricky situation but its important to understand if your passionate about technology and basic rights. I am not condoning piracy, but there is nothing wrong with modding systems morally and charging people for that. Its just like any other service. The fact that the Judge seems to agree that this is a load of BS, and the trial has been put on hold IS A GOOD THING! This is a win for modders.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Mille...ble_court_cases

/full disclosure: I mod peoples Xbox's and Wiis for money. I dont sell pirated games, and I don't charge people for homebrew software. I only charge them for the time and service.

purplesludge

anyone have any ideas for this space
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
He deserved to get caught. Charging $60 to flash them and he was probably advertiser on Craigslist. I wonder if he is like the morons in my area who advertise flashing and include "backup" copies of the new games for $5-$10 each.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
purplesludge said:
I wonder if he is like the morons in my area who advertise flashing and include "backup" copies of the new games for $5-$10 each.
If you'd read the article you wouldn't be wondering since he wasn't.

Of course it's not like you were actually wondering, you were hoping he would be so you could attach a face and name to something you hate.

purplesludge

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
purplesludge said:
I wonder if he is like the morons in my area who advertise flashing and include "backup" copies of the new games for $5-$10 each.
If you'd read the article you wouldn't be wondering since he wasn't.

Of course it's not like you were actually wondering, you were hoping he would be so you could attach a face and name to something you hate.
Which article? I read this one http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2010/11/crippen/ and it didn't really mention how he was caught just that he had made a business out of modding them for $60-80.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
purplesludge said:
Which article? I read this one http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2010/11/crippen/ and it didn't really mention how he was caught just that he had made a business out of modding them for $60-80.
That's the point, if he was selling bootleg copies they could just get him for that straight-out, not have to take him to court and all this other nonsense.

purplesludge

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
purplesludge said:
That's the point, if he was selling bootleg copies they could just get him for that straight-out, not have to take him to court and all this other nonsense.
I assumed they were trying to make an example out of him by getting him with bigger charges.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
purplesludge said:
Rydian said:
purplesludge said:
I assumed they were trying to make an example out of him by getting him with bigger charges.
This entire thing costs a lot more time and money than a bootleg charge.

MEGAMANTROTSKY

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yet another sorry attempt by the electronics giants to wrest ownership and the purchasing power from the masses. Despicable. The defendant should be cleared immediately.

Edit: Oh, the case was dismissed. On the other hand, I doubt that this will be the last indictment we hear of.

purechaos996

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is for like dvd firmware or Jtag modding right? I have an xbox 260 case mod on craigslist for sale so thats the only reason I ask. I'm almost 100% sure case mods are legal tho I mean why not.

keine

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
The government had fought to keep the witness conduct a secret from the jury. WIRED.
Our tax dollars hard at work people. This is more illegal than ANY modded Xbox. Completely disgusting. Thanks to Sephxus for posting a more accurate account compliments of WIRED Magazine.This may possibly the biggest case to consider fair use we have seen yet in the United States. Not just Xbox. Think Apple iPhone. Think any EULA you've ever signed. Completely landmark.

Crass

Rock me Dr. Zaius
Trophies
Website
www.ds-scene.net
XP
Country
United States
Its great for the kid involved, but the fact that the prosecution realized the judge wasn't gonna play nicely with them, they decided to drop the case which means that a legal precedent wont be set that protects modders. So the future is still unclear.

Warrior522

"In all things, balance."
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TehSkull said:
Warriorccc0 said:
Fixed. It's all for the best the case got dropped though.

Ahh, intelligence... Isn't it wonderful to see it in action?
happy.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nah that has 20 million views