'Starfield' gets story, gameplay and performance details

starfield.jpg

Microsoft and Bethesda's highly anticipated sci-fi RPG was on showcase during the Xbox Games Showcase. A gameplay trailer for the game was aired, giving us our first glimpse at how the game will play as well as an overview of the plot:

Ahead of the trailer's launch, Bethesda’s Todd Howard provided additional details about the game's performance in an interview with IGN. Below is what he had to say:

I think it'll come as no surprise, given our previous games, what we go for. Always these huge, open worlds, fully dynamic, hyper detail where anything can happen. And we do want to do that. It's 4K in the X. It's 1440 on the S. We do lock it at 30, because we want that fidelity, we want all that stuff. We don't want to sacrifice any of it.

Fortunately in this one, we've got it running great. It's often running way above that. Sometimes it's 60. But on the consoles, we do lock it because we prefer the consistency, where you're not even thinking about it.

And we don't ever want to sacrifice that experience that makes our games feel really, really special. So it feels great. We're really happy with how it feels even in the heat of battle. And we need that headroom because in our games, really anything can happen.

So, the game will be locked at 30fps on the Xbox Series X|S versions for better consistency, according to Howard. Starfield launches exclusively on Xbox Series X|S and PC on September 6, and it will be available day one with Xbox Game Pass.

:arrow: SOURCE

Reploid

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
It's bethesda-developed game, so there will be no story or gameplay, performance will only be available after a few huge patches.
Post automatically merged:

Imagine not locking it at 30 and instead leaving the choice to the player like many other games do. Would be crazy.
mod support allows them to let player do the most of the work for them.

Reactions: yoyoyo69

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's bethesda-developed game, so there will be no story or gameplay, performance will only be available after a few huge patches.
Post automatically merged:

mod support allows them to let player do the most of the work for them.
"there will be no story or gameplay"

Are you saying their past games are devoid of story and gameplay?

I really have to disagree there, Oblivion I felt had a huge story and lots of fun gameplay

Axido

Maker of TRASLApp
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

I really have to disagree there, Oblivion I felt had a huge story and lots of fun gameplay

I don't know if a 17 year old game really counts as proof. I played Oblivion a lot, don't get me wrong here, but I remember some of the side stories it had more than the actual main story. I wouldn't say it had a huge story, but rather a lot of interesting small ones.

That being said, if we go by examples only, I'd like to throw in Fallout 76 as a negative one.

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal

I don't get this bandwagon. People are dumb. Bethesda games always had a decent story. But "gamers" are becoming brain dead after so much COD or arena type shooters that have "oh so much lore"...

Reactions: Blythe93

Axido

Maker of TRASLApp
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I don't get this bandwagon. People are dumb. Bethesda games always had a decent story. But "gamers" are becoming brain dead after so much COD or arena type shooters that have "oh so much lore"...
I'm not really getting your point here. Do you think a "decent" story is fine or are you implying that mainstream games make people more susceptible to whatever "decent" story Bethesda comes up with?

I mean, if I wanted something decent, I don't have to wait for a new game as there are loads of games with decent stories already. I'd rather spend my time playing something more noteworthy or scrap the story altogether and go for gameplay.

Reactions: Kevbo

Delerious

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How is it that Skyrim's NPC's have more life in their faces than Starfield's? And good lord, the voice acting is terrible! Did they use AI to generate those voices? Or does their voice-over director just suck at their job?

Because many people here have played enough games and noticed enough bad patterns that we are now the critics, not the general audience. Most big game studios only care about the general audience's feedback.

m00k00

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Will this game be on Steam?
It will be on Steam, yeah. Whether it will be on the Steam Deck no-one can really say for sure. At least it hasn't been officially announced and being a Microsoft game I doubt there will be an official Linux port, which basically means it boils down to whether Proton will support it just fine, or not. Proton is what you call the "Compatibility Mode" on Steam on Linux. It supports literally thousands of games by now. Some at least run on Linux without any major Performance loss. Some are said to even outperform native Windows, nowadays. Proton is good and bad at the same time, honestly: It's good because it enables you to play so many games that you couldn't play on Linux otherwise. On the other hand I'm sure lots of Studios and Publishers try to save money by not releasing native Linux ports because ... well there's Proton, anyway :D

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
The clearest evidence yet that Bethesda should've moved past this creaky old engine years ago, if not over a decade ago. 30 FPS is not acceptable on next-gen hardware, and especially not when the game already looks so boring outside of performance issues. A bargain bin title if I've ever seen one.

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know if a 17 year old game really counts as proof. I played Oblivion a lot, don't get me wrong here, but I remember some of the side stories it had more than the actual main story. I wouldn't say it had a huge story, but rather a lot of interesting small ones.

That being said, if we go by examples only, I'd like to throw in Fallout 76 as a negative one.
That wasn't made by Bethesda game studios, same as elder scrolls online

BGS makes the main games and they would not waste time on mmos

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/sQK1btk8ZUs?si=Z4p2kuM_7fXV7_Ps