Square Enix Threatens Legal Action Against Type-0 Fan Translation

LoyalZero1

Former Videogame & Movie News Super Blogger
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the issue is that they took donations....

:lol:
I think it's funny that most people are always saying thanks to Sky, but they almost never thank the team. But then when the donations are mentioned, all of a sudden it's THEY took donations. No.... THEY didn't....... HE did. Trust me when I tell you I know what i'm talking about. I will always be greatful to Sky for starting the project, staying on the team's case for motivational purposes and going out of his way to do the rom hacking and patching, but it's the translators who put in many sleepless nights after coming home tired from work, just to do something nice for us fans. And they didn't get any donation money, and maybe 10% of the recognition from people who got the patch. They won't tell you that, but i'm saying it, only because i'm setting the record straight amongst those who say the whole team took money. It's simply not true.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Donations wouldn't be the problem as they were in no way required to obtain the patch. This patch has accrued 0 revenue, and therefore that has absolutely nothing to do with the patch being taken down.

Square Enix is just a bag of dicks is all.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
So instead of learning that people want this game and maybe translating it or buying the translation or attempting to do any other form of localization, you took the dick move Squire Enix. Thanks, as if you weren't have enough trouble keeping your fans happy, you do this.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
they had this translation done for god knows how long and they deliberately waited for the fan translation to be finished just so they can punk them! :rofl2:

ryuga93

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
I'm used to be square enix fans because of Kingdom Hearts, but this has changed my view to Square Enix, scew you Square, why don't you shot down the Chinese translation of the game which came out after a few months after the release too?:glare: What they just care is their money lol

gamecaptor

R.I.P. Densetsu. Legends never die!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We have all been at a point in our life where we continually make bad decisions. Square-Enix is there and has been there for MANY years now.

This recent incident aside, the fact they are only bringing Type-0 HD to the PS4 and XB1 ONLY seems like a blunder in my opinion. Missing the boat on last gen since they are still very much a factor in todays market, not to mention Steam (especially since it's going to be a download title).

Load up your emulators boys and girls and fire up good old Final Fantasy 4 for the SNES (or even Final Fantasy 7 for the PSX if you prefer). Relive the days when Square(Enix) really was a company we all believed in!

drgnslayers

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
We have all been at a point in our life where we continually make bad decisions. Square-Enix is there and has been there for MANY years now.

This recent incident aside, the fact they are only bringing Type-0 HD to the PS4 and XB1 ONLY seems like a blunder in my opinion. Missing the boat on last gen since they are still very much a factor in todays market, not to mention Steam (especially since it's going to be a download title).

Load up your emulators boys and girls and fire up good old Final Fantasy 4 for the SNES (or even Final Fantasy 7 for the PSX if you prefer). Relive the days when Square(Enix) really was a company we all believed in!

The good old times where Square and Enix were two separate companies but did work together to produce a masterpiece of a Super NES game: Chrono Trigger. The good old times where there were no Internet, that we played countless hours on the same Super NES game to beat it. I remember that Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy II (FF IV Easy Type) and Final Fantasy III (FF VI) were conquered many times by best friend and myself. Even Super Mario RPG is still fun to play today.

I'm sure all of you have your own preferences towards games. Square Enix likes to squeeze the juice on their previous titles. I can't count how many times each of the first six Final Fantasies were remade and released

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
This is just a stupid move by SE. I normally try to see this from all angles, but in this case, it's retarded no matter how you look at it.

The fact these guys got a warning almost immediately after the release means they knew about it (and with a company the size of SE, the opposite would have been very strange). And if they knew about it, it wouldn't be that hard to at least send out a letter BEFORE it was finished. Something like "hi, we noticed you're doing a fan translation. While we thank you for loving the game to this degree, we're currently in the process of discussing to do a translation on ourselves. If this comes true, we will be forced to ask you to remove this, as it would be deemed illegal since you're not an official partner. We hope you understand. But for the moment, please don't spill this to the public yet.". It wouldn't have been hard, it would have saved some effort and I'm sure those translating guys would at least understand it. It wouldn't have cost anything but like fifteen minutes of e-mail. The way it looks now, however, it's as if SE is just stealing his work.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK. I am a guy who usually just gets "turned off" when these things happen, but now I think I am fairly angry. Why would SE do this? It's like the company is trying to make the fans hate it. There are countless other translations and I am not aware of a company banning one. And like it has already been told, yes SE has the right to defend its property, but for crying out loud, it's a 2-3 year project (don't remember how long it's been) that started because SE didn't bring this game to the West, basicaly neglecting the fans it has in the West. Yes, it's true that an HD West version is coming, but what's the harm by being an English translation for PSP? It's not like the new version would fail cause of it. On the contrary, this move, I believe, is going to damage the company's image. Also, don't forget the ENORMOUS effort, time the translation team put into making this happen, in order to please the fans SE didn't care about. It's outrageous!
Because SquareEnix is the logical extreme of a Japanese company who doesn't acknowledge that - oh, I dunno - maybe they could have fans outside of Nee Pawn and think we're all filthy gaijin undeserving of their glorious master race games. It doesn't help that an overwhelming majority of dev companies in the land seem to hold this firm belief that anything that happens outside the island's borders is either of (a) no consequence to them, or (b) a threat.

It's stuff like this that makes Keiji Inafune's forethought to see the proverbial writing on the wall make him look like a fucking hero, now that Comcept has their first real game fully funded, and Capcom is bleeding money so bad that it's literally having to sell its most valued IP's just to stay solvent. Seriously, the cojones of this man to even look out for those chucklefucks takes the kind of intestinal fortitude not seen since the *expletive* Old Testament of the Bible.

Back on topic, this is heinously scummy, and just further seems to perpetuate the notion that japanese devs are so out of touch with the global market that they will soon be doing as Capcom is and having to sell the farm before they have anything capable of saving it again.

Densetsu

Pubic Ninja
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
And if they knew about it, it wouldn't be that hard to at least send out a letter BEFORE it was finished.

It wouldn't have been hard, it would have saved some effort and I'm sure those translating guys would at least understand it. It wouldn't have cost anything but like fifteen minutes of e-mail.
A simple, courteous e-mail like that would've gone a long way in preventing a PR disaster.

However, SE would rather pay their IP attorneys lots of money to effect legal action against its fans, and damage their reputation as a company in the process.

No, writing up a quick e-mail would've made too much sense.

Stay classy, SE :rolleyes:

Kane49

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
You realize that the only way to play that fan translation is by pirating the original game ?

No, writing up a quick e-mail would've made too much sense.

They sent a C&D letter, which is little more than an email, after it was clear that it wasn't just talk.
Its not like there were any public betas that verified progress.

Kane49

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The

thats a plugin for psp's with cfw only that redirects file access or something similar, the umd does not get patched
Its also pretty far from the patch that was released that required a merged iso

/E: Don't get me wrong, im glad it got translated but making squeenix out to be some evil corporation because they protect their intellectual property is not right.

Reactions: NEP

Lumstar

Princess
Trophies
Website
eonhack.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
thats a plugin for psp's with cfw only that redirects file access or something similar, the umd does not get patched
Its also pretty far from the patch that was released that required a merged iso

Ah that makes more sense.

What if Nintendo do something like this to Pokemon, what then?

If it contains enough Nintendo data they'd have to act. I don't recall the BW or BW2 patches being shut down.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Att is displaying prices like it's an ingredients list now lol