emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I almost get the feeling Sony is going to do something like take the fan translation, and use it for their localization, and basically steal from the hard work of the fans. The fans should copyright the patch. They could do that at least. Right?

Sony?

I wouldn't be surprised if SQUARE just asked politely to Sky to stop distributing sn supporting the translation, he would have done so. Than again it's not like Square live within their own little bubble.

Tis a shame this happens in the same world where companies like XSEED buy fan translations as a base for their work.

Hargrun

Support the arts! (The games, silly.)
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Yeah. SE is right to defend their property, but I believe the way that happened was a bit... "unnecessary". I mean, if they were taken right attitude at the beginning of the project the situation would be QUITE different.

There is something called fan service and companies like $ega and $quare Enix are definitely NOT GOOD at it. If they were we would have more of Shenmue or Streets of Rage and not a bunch of Sonic games like Sonic in a car, Sonic as a werething, Sonic on a airboard, Sonic with bandages, Sonic thinks he is a knight, Sonic naked again and many others...

Also, we would have several [Insert some $quare title here] International Version/Final Mix, always with text options in at least two languages​​. (Thus avoiding more translations made by fans who would have their asses bitten by the same b****.)

I am grateful for Sky and his GREAT team, I am grateful for all those who imported an original copy to use the patch, but definitely I am grateful for not having bought a Vita waiting for something that WILL-NOT-HAPPEN.

And I apologize if my writing sounded like a ragequit, lol.

Reactions: TripleSMoon and VMM

Lumstar

Princess
Trophies
Website
eonhack.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
Yeah. SE is right to defend their property, but I believe the way that happened was a bit... "unnecessary". I mean, if they were taken right attitude at the beginning of the project the situation would be QUITE different.

There is something called fan service and companies like $ega and $quare Enix are definitely NOT GOOD at it. If they were we would have more of Shenmue or Streets of Rage and not a bunch of Sonic games like Sonic in a car, Sonic as a werething, Sonic on a airboard, Sonic with bandages, Sonic thinks he is a knight, Sonic naked again and many others...

Also, we would have several [Insert some $quare title here] International Version/Final Mix, always with text options in at least two languages​​. (Thus avoiding more translations made by fans who would have their asses bitten by the same b****.)

I am grateful for Sky and his GREAT team, I am grateful for all those who imported an original copy to use the patch, but definitely I am grateful for not having bought a Vita waiting for something that WILL-NOT-HAPPEN.

And I apologize if my writing sounded like a ragequit, lol.

Besides people are too quick to demonize the side of the story we haven't even heard yet.
It very well could be the patch contains SE copyrighted material, which they wouldn't have known until they were able to obtain it.
That'd be a plausible explanation for the timing of this.

Reactions: Hargrun

stinkoman

Magnificent Bastard
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Squaresoft is terrible to their fans, I refuse to buy their shit out of principle. Want a sequel to TWGOK? What's that? 200 Ports of FFIII you say? Okay! Want an HD remake of Final Fantasy 7? Sounds good, we'll even do it on mobile! Just the bike minigame though, right? Kingdom Hearts 3? Sure, give it a decade or so and we'll confirm it, but first here are a dozen spinoff games that range from mediocre to alright. We'll deal with that whole "storyline" shit later, alright?

LoyalZero1

Former Videogame & Movie News Super Blogger
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I leave for a couple of weeks, and all hell breaks lose? Interesting developments... very interesting. I'm also reading over on Sky's blog in the comments section where people are saying the team took donations, and that's why this happened. Well, I don't know about that. I know for a fact that 99.9% of the team didn't make a penny from those donations.

Reactions: Adams and Hargrun

drgnslayers

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sony?

I wouldn't be surprised if SQUARE just asked politely to Sky to stop distributing sn supporting the translation, he would have done so. Than again it's not like Square live within their own little bubble.

Tis a shame this happens in the same world where companies like XSEED buy fan translations as a base for their work.

Some companies even go as to hire people doing fan translations to make their own retail translations. Here's a link about Andrew Hodgson who did the Steins;Gate fan translation and then was hired by JAST USA to work on the official Western translation: http://kotaku.com/going-from-fan-to-professional-game-translator-and-back-1570615666

Kudos to SkybladeCloud and its team for their dedication. Know that I don't have any plans to buy a Vita, a Xbox One or a PS4 in the near future because I'm actually happy with my PSP and my 3DS

Reactions: Nightwish

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This is new, ROM hacking wise I am going to be hard pushed to think of similar cases. The closest I have is tecmo and dead or alive ( http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/02/10/tecmo_sues_xbox_game_hackers/ ) some years back and that was considered a first, for something somewhat different and ultimately it was dropped a couple of months later ( http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/05/27/tecmo_drops_ninjahacker_suit/ ).

Obviously there are the fan remake C&Ds (of which we have seen many, from many companies and several times square (enix), usually done on trademark grounds and trademark law kind of forces that. Like others I am curious to see if there are any modifiers (ads, donations obtained....) in this case.

With the size it is I am also curious to see how hard it will be to get your hands on in a couple of years. For a tiny IPS/xdelta thing I could easily send as an email attachment then easy as you like, for the couple of hundred megs then it could be more tricky. We all live in a world where certain things have become hard to get so who knows.

Interesting times.

Mylink5

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Greece
OK. I am a guy who usually just gets "turned off" when these things happen, but now I think I am fairly angry. Why would SE do this? It's like the company is trying to make the fans hate it. There are countless other translations and I am not aware of a company banning one. And like it has already been told, yes SE has the right to defend its property, but for crying out loud, it's a 2-3 year project (don't remember how long it's been) that started because SE didn't bring this game to the West, basicaly neglecting the fans it has in the West. Yes, it's true that an HD West version is coming, but what's the harm by being an English translation for PSP? It's not like the new version would fail cause of it. On the contrary, this move, I believe, is going to damage the company's image. Also, don't forget the ENORMOUS effort, time the translation team put into making this happen, in order to please the fans SE didn't care about. It's outrageous!

Naridar

Excelsior!
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
If anything, the patch should be featured on the front page! Square Enix (and other companies as well but SE's the crown prince in this one) keep pulling these d*ck moves on fans who sweat blood and tears for their fellow fans' enjoyment (Type-0, Chrono Trigger Resurrection, Crimson Echoes, etc.), and we keep assisting them by bending over to whatever crap they say?! We're the f*cking internet! If the temp, the ultimate grey zone for console gaming won't say "f*ck you" to these d*ckheads, who will?! Is there someone beside me on this site willing to spam every topic with the translation to get our point across?

Had to get that out of my system.

Reactions: Mylink5

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
but what's the harm by being an English translation for PSP? It's not like the new version would fail cause of it. On the contrary, this move, I believe, is going to damage the company's image.

I do not think there is such a thing as an unhacked PSP (certainly no such thing as an unhackable one thanks to the serious screw ups on Sony's part), as such people can easily get hold of it for the PSP. In some ways this then counts as pulling focus, or at least has the potential to pull focus, from the eventual release.

Legally speaking I am not quite sure how this plays out, on the other hand most were not sure how a let's play could be troubled and then we had that whole situation. All that said I also can not see this being a PR win.

soilxkirax

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
That's fucked up, they could at least instead of asking them to remove any FFT0 related content, to help them with the translation(which most likely they are using)

Ulieq

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have an idea. How about Square start releasing games on next gen systems and stfu.

I think it goes beyond a C&D because the patch is already released. The "damage" is done. I think the issue is that they took donations for translating the game and also had ads on their site. Sky stated:

So I wonder if they're gonna take it to court or something. I hope not.

Nubs.

dragonmaster

Ancient One
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
bad square ,to be honest i am a fan of dragon quest monsters a dragon quest spinoff and all 3ds games of the series are not localized ,i am dissapointed if they dont want piracy just localize games i waited and waited for a eu version and nothing here ,and an email i ve send was never replied, in my opinion translation happens cause companies dont care for fans in other countries

Reactions: BAHIM Z 360

GHANMI

Trophies
XP
Country
The patch in its current form only needs a single disk and not both disks.
After patching the game, it has the content from the second disk as well, not only the translation.
Something is wrong.

This means... something that's included in the patch (in its current form) IS problematic, since it's not only the translation data.
I say GBATemp mods shouldn't ban the translation outright.
A C&D wasn't issued.
The issue lingers with bits from the copyrighted material included in the patch itself.
I see zero day translations for many DS games still up so I presume it's not even a factor behind the ban of Type-0.

This patch should be reworked to become something that requires both ISOs and is a collection of ips/ppf patches rather than any of the binary data... you might have noticed already something with the size is off.
The patch reworked that way (much like the Fatal Frame 4 translation) shouldn't be problematic (no copyrighted material at all inside of it).
For preservation's sake, all of that effort shouldn't simply go to waste.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @Xdqwerty :creep: +1