Gaming Square-Enix did it again...

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am not saying anything about games being translated into Portuguese. O_O Have I?

Edit:
BTW, Spanish is not the 3rd language but the second.
http://en.wikipedia....native_speakers

No, you're not saying anything about Portuguese, but then again ... why not?? Don't the Portuguese deserve their own translation? And the Russians, surely they should get this game translated for them. And the Swahili ... are you gonna tell me the Swahili shouldn't have this game provided to them in their own language???? If you don't support a translation in Swahili, you must be racist.

It's been said a couple times that the decision not to translate the game into Spanish or Italian wasn't about money, but of course it was. Everything comes down to money in business. Your decision to buy the game or to refuse to (in protest over no Spanish translation) ultimately will be over money as well. After all, if the game was 45euros everywhere else but it was discounted to only 10euros in Spain because there was no Spanish translation being provided, well then you'd probably buy it anyway.

It doesn't matter that Spanish might be the number 2 language spoken worldwide ... what matters is which languages are most spoken by those who actually buy video games.

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes they do deserve, of course. Have I stated the opposite?

You're missing the point, perhaps. It's simple economics. The question of whether a game will get translated into any given language is most likely based on some expert's best guess ... will the company profit more selling this game if we translate it for this specific market, after subtracting the cost of creating the translated version and the cost of the localized packaging and etc ... or will the company profit more from just selling the English copy since many of the consumers in this market speak English anyway??

They have to profit, or they don't exist.

Reactions: 1 person

Leeg

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
No, but it simply comes across as you being "hurt" because the game will not be translated to YOUR language. You're not particularily bothered by others, you just want it in YOUR native tongue.

errr... what? I was speaking about multi-5 changing to multi-3.

Of course I would like to see games translated in these languages... ._. But I gave the news from the point of view of Multi-5 game. Which is KH, or was, until today.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
That, and I'm pretty sure that Square Enix isn't blind.

Have you seen how many "Undub" projects we have around lately? People generally don't *want* their games dubbed in any language other than the one in the original game for some reason, and I kid you not, KH will have dubbing.

Sure, they could add the text but why bother? They already have English.

No, but it simply comes across as you being "hurt" because the game will not be translated to YOUR language. You're not particularily bothered by others, you just want it in YOUR native tongue.

errr... what? I was speaking about multi-5 changing to multi-3.

Of course I would like to see games translated in these languages... ._. But I gave the news from the point of view of Multi-5 game. Which is KH, or was, until today.
It's just how it came across to me, really. I understand your point, I'm just underlining the fact that Multi5 is not a necessity - most users set the language to English anyways. I know I do, even when Polish is available.

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
That, and I'm pretty sure that Square Enix isn't blind.

Have you seen how many "Undub" projects we have around lately? People generally don't *want* their games dubbed in any language other than the one in the original game for some reason, and I kid you not, KH will have dubbing.

Sure, they could add the text but why bother? They already have English.

I agree, most japanese games that end up being dubbed to english, end up getting an undub version, this can be mainly seen on RPG's, sure, KH is an exception like I've mentioned before, since most of the Disney cast was originally English to begin with, so I believe that the games will be more enjoyable in english than in languages like german or french (I love the Disney movies in my language, but, some of them just don't sound that right, although I gotta admit, Disney dubs are in general quite exceptional and all have that certain char, like Donald, Goofy and Mickey always having the same voice quirks in all languages).

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
The same thing would apply to those languages as well, the thing is that people in Spain already speaks Spanish and there's no reason why they shouldn't learn English too.

err... what? You can't find a job without English nowadays in Spain.
Or rather, get better at it. (which is not the case for everyone of course)
In any case, Foxi4's point still stands.

And stop whining already, you went from having the majority needing it to be translated to everyone needs to know English here in order to get a job.

You're calling Square Enix greedy for not including a Spanish translation, SE is a company and they release games to make a profit so they make cuts when necessary, by your logic every company out there are greedy bastards for trying to make a profit.
KH as a series generally doesn't get that many sales here you know, what if they got lower than expected sales?
It's still sad news for those who wanted to play it in Spanish :(

But saying that Spain doesn't restrict the English language isn't entirely true.
I'm aware that I was drifting off-topic and no harm was intended by saying this, I've visited Spain before, Spanish is my mothers language and I'm a fluent speaker so I know what I'm talking about.

You just keep defending to the point where you start contradicting yourself, I really can't take you seriously anymore, even more so after reading how you label people here as racist.

Leeg

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
You're calling Square Enix greedy for not including a Spanish translation,

No, I'm calling SE greedy for butchering Multi-5 into Multi-3. Nintendo Europe is the distributor, they could translate it as they did with other recently launched games (Xenoblade, The Last Story, Pandora's Tower) but SE won't let them do that. Why? That's what we are trying to guess here.

You just keep defending to the point where you start contradicting yourself, I really can't take you seriously anymore, even more so after reading how you label people here as racist.

I've already retracted from this. I eventually said that comment was offensive from my point of view.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
As I said, from a linguistic stand-point, English dominates over Spanish despite having less Native Speakers simply because its Language Area is wider - it's pretty much global. Not so long ago, in historical terms, the "Sun never set on the British Empire" - Britain used to be spread all across the globe, the UK had the highest amount of colonies and the legacy of those colonies is the spread of English. Moreover, English became the default language of the Internet due to the Internet's origins. It always has been and it always will be. Even today, English is still rapidly spreading and is the default language for international relations.

French and German USED to be such diplomatic languages, French moreso than German, plus, Square already has offices in both countries and does not have to outsource translators and other workers to achieve those translations.

Finally, does translating to Spanish boost sales? Apparently it does not, judging from their latest decision.

That, or it's a simple decision based on expenses - more languages equals having to employ larger cartridges and FLASH memory does not come cheap in massive quantities.

All in all, Multi5 isn't worth it for Square, especially since it's a commodity, not a necessity.

Reactions: 2 people
D

Deleted User

While I feel sad for Spanish/Italians, I understand why. You shouldn't feel scammed. It takes a long time to translate when there's a million-gazillion words. Do you want this game delayed AGAIN?

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm really surprised Spanish is one of the languages left out... I mean, you have practically an entire continent (most of South America), Central America, and Spain with Spanish as their main language. Meanwhile how many countries speak German and French?? Not as many, unless I'm mistaken

Reactions: 1 person

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I'm really surprised Spanish is one of the languages left out... I mean, you have practically an entire continent (most of South America), Central America, and Spain with Spanish as their main language. Meanwhile how many countries speak German and French?? Not as many, unless I'm mistaken
Not really surprising, this is an EUR game version, usually US game versions simply bring english (sometimes it brings some others, but rarely) since the major market is the USA and they couldn't care less about South America (well, those continents aren't really their main market, while they still buy some stuff, I'm pretty sure it's nowhere nearly as much as the USA, so it's not much of an issue for them), that's why EUR games usually get Multi-5, Multi-6 or simply release a version of each language to the respective countries (Pokemon games for example), despite being sad, most game companies are only concerned with USA and Canada so you may sometimes get French as well, point is, USA region games rarely bring as many languages as EUR ones.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
You shouldn't feel scammed. It takes a long time to translate when there's a million-gazillion words.

1 or 2 months and 30,000 euros (4 or 5 translators). That's what it costs according to several professional translators.

source:http://www.meristati...ersonas/1785987
(Spanish only, sorry)

I'm not sure if 30,000 euros it a lot, but if it is, it is. :P
That's the cost of translation alone. Now add the fees for programmers, bugtesters, graphics designers (sometimes raster graphics need to be altered as well, dubbing actors etc. etc. 30 000 lol, you wish.

Reactions: 3 people

Leeg

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Well... nintendo will never pay 8.000 euros per translator one month, and that cipher is assuming a team of 4 or 5....so you can add testing and programming to this number. Anyway, programming is used to adapt the game to French, German, and English, which are all codified the same way as Spanish and Italian.

Btw... dubbing actors? lol... what the...? I am not requesting that, it was done only with KH2 and the result was getting the game 1 year later.

Anyway, all this is speculation... of course.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
No offense, but meh. I mean, who doesn't know English these days, even if they have bad English?
half of world population perhaps? Or even more?

Ya but half of that population probably won't be picking this game up anyways.

@OP: Paying more for less? What are you talking about? Just because some of the dialogue isn't in a language? What content is missing. You do realize when people refer to content in video games, they're talking about missions, story, characters, not the language of a game. Good grief. Kids these days are just way too spoiled.

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Ya but half of that population probably won't be picking this game up anyways.

@OP: Paying more for less? What are you talking about? Just because some of the dialogue isn't in a language? What content is missing. You do realize when people refer to content in video games, they're talking about missions, story, characters, not the language of a game. Good grief. Kids these days are just way too spoiled.
Not to mention that most 3DS games are going to be $40 at new retail price regardless of how much content they put on it *cough*SpiritCamera*cough*

Though in his defense, story and characters are going to mean a LOT less to someone if the said characters and story aren't presented in a language they understand.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @AncientBoi