Square Enix sells off some of its western IPs to Embracer Group for $300 million

dasdasujiofeduijofsd.png

Beloved intellectual properties you might associate with Square Enix will no longer have anything to do with the company. Square Enix is selling off a collection of its western-developed IPs and the studios behind those games to Embracer Group. According to industry analysts, Square had been looking to offload these studios and franchises, due to their underperformance in recent years. The sale includes properties such as Tomb Raider, Deus Ex, Thief, Legacy of Kain, and more, alongside developers Crystal Dynamics, Square Enix Montreal, and Eidos Montreal, spanning 1,100 employees across those three studios. This also means that Embracer Group acquires the new in-development Tomb Raider title being made in Unreal Engine 5.

The sale is set to finalize this September. Embracer Group currently owns over 100 other studios and publishers, including THQ Nordic, Koch Media, and Saber Interactive.

”Embracer is the best kept secret in gaming: a massive, decentralized collection of entrepreneurs whom we are thrilled to become a part of today. It is the perfect fit for our ambitions: make high-quality games, with great people, sustainably, and grow our existing franchises to their best versions ever. Embracer allows us to forge new partnerships across all media to maximize our franchises’ potential and live our dreams of making extraordinary entertainment,” says Phil Rogers, Square Enix America and Europe CEO.

:arrow: Source

Glyptofane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Meanwhile, they could have released the next part of the FF7 Remake and had that cash in-hand much sooner. :creep:

(Getting pissed at these losers, for real tho... :gun:)
It's rarely anything good from them anymore. I was really looking forward to Chocobo GP and ended up boycotting it over the aggressive monetization that was announced right before release. Now I'm just hoping they don't do Star Ocean 6 dirty like what happened with 5.

The one real surprise on that list is Tomb Raider, as I thought the recent games did quite well sales-wise. The rest of the IPs Square hadn't done anything with in a long time, so it can only be a positive thing that they might see the light of day again.
Same exact immediate thought. I guess all the Eidos crap had to go as a package deal and probably wouldn't be all that valuable without Tomb Raider.

Last edited by Glyptofane,
Reactions: Xzi

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal
"properties such as Tomb Raider, Deus Ex, Thief, Legacy of Kain" This could turn out quite good, but I don't really know anything about embracer
They are the parent of companies like Gearbox Entertainment, Saber Interactive or THQ Nordic, among others. These are parent companies of a lot of other smaller companies.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I hope you know that creating a game takes alot of time. Since it involves more than just code the shit and making a good looking texture. Sorry I didn't wanted to sound rude but in reality is. Their are alot of more things involved than just making the game
Yeah, like making sure you're not dragging your ass on the game so long that a new generation PlayStation rolls out before you can get out the next part. :rolleyes:

I swear to god, Squeenix better not fuck over us PS4 Pro owners on this game... It's the entire reason I bought a PS4 in the first place. I want to play the entire thing on ONE machine.

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
"properties such as Tomb Raider, Deus Ex, Thief, Legacy of Kain" This could turn out quite good, but I don't really know anything about embracer
In the times of CD and DVD releases, you'd find a bin loaded with games at the store.

Most of them were of some of these groups. Like Koch.

They have some interesting games, though, but they mostly lack polish.

xdarkx

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That's one way to get rid of flops like Marvel's Avengers.

Would be great if they can get rid of their Ethnics department so they can focus on creating great games and less on Twitter checkmarks...

deisuke1234

Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah, like making sure you're not dragging your ass on the game so long that a new generation PlayStation rolls out before you can get out the next part. :rolleyes:

I swear to god, Squeenix better not fuck over us PS4 Pro owners on this game... It's the entire reason I bought a PS4 in the first place. I want to play the entire thing on ONE machine.
That won't happen since part 1 is like 10% of the entire game if I remember correctly.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Legacy of Kain?? The last time there was a Kain game was on PS2.
There was technically a multiplayer game set in the universe that made it to open beta in 2015 and lasted a year or so in that before being canned. See "nosgoth", mostly seems to be a victim of trying to be a moba/dota clone while also doing the class based thing and because it was... that year when it was announced then of course asymmetric was the hot and sexy thing to pursue.
Anyone know the other 50-odd games they have acquired?
I don't think we have a straight up list at this point. Generally anything the three companies had a hand in is probably going to be on the cards.
https://embracer.com/release/embrac...nd-square-enix-montreal-amongst-other-assets/ is basically all we have at this point. There is apparently a presentation on it due "2 May 2022 at CET 09.00." for "investors, analysts and media" so hopefully someone gives any extra details from that if there are any.

Still a bit of digging seems in order. I did very little "who owns this now" research as part of this and some are not necessarily what you would expect.

In addition to Deus Ex, Tomb Raider and the others noted elsewhere

Square Enix Montreal was after the 2009 buyout of Eidos. Mobile spinoffs for Hitman and Deus Ex was their goal so nothing of great interest, though they do apparently have some kind of rights to a space invaders game.

Eidos-Montréal (a separate entity despite being in the same place as above) was a Canadian branch of Eidos set up not so very long before the Square Enix buyout in 2009. Modern Deus Ex and modern Thief (was not good, play Dishonored instead or even https://www.thedarkmod.com/main/ if you want more of the old school Thief gameplay -- it started as a mod but went standalone, serious candidate for best ever mod/fan continuation of things for any game/platform/time period). Shadow of the Tomb Raider in 2018 and Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy last year finishing the list of things they had a hand in.

Eidos themselves is a more fun story. They have a whole bunch of stuff, and also did a weird merger/renaming effort with SCi just prior to Square Enix buying them in 2009 (for £84.3 million, so not a bad return on investment then) so they probably have a bunch of stuff from SCi as well. Carmageddon is probably the more famous of SCi's efforts*, which was bought from Square Enix by the original game's devs ( https://gbatemp.net/review/carmageddon-max-damage.479/ ) and then eventually sold to THQ Nordic (which for many is the public face of the Embracer group). Fans of western shmups though might note that S.W.I.V. might be on the cards for a rerelease now, and there is the conflict series (once a fairly well respected tactical shooter, the last entry in the series was Conflict Denied Ops on the 360 which... if I don't want to play a local co-op game it is bad. If you were to compare it to that year's Rainbow 6 vegas 2 or its prequel then not even close).
SCi also held a decent stake in Rocksteady Studios (Batman Arkham games) but that is not mentioned in this.
https://www.mobygames.com/browse/games/sci-games-ltd/offset,0/so,1a/list-games/ if you wanted a list of things here for SCi. A lot of it is licensed games though so don't expect too much to appear again, though film makers are rediscovering revenues in old stuff from streaming so there is some possibility they will have some game income as well.

*I certainly can't see the logo without the announcer being what my brain goes to next

Eidos themselves... https://www.mobygames.com/browse/games/eidos-inc/offset,0/so,1a/list-games/
Lot of decent strategy games in there that I had forgotten about (Gangsters and the Commandos franchise being notable ones here).
Might include Pandemonium (most will know the cover and possibly the gameplay), Omikron: The Nomad Soul (David Cage's first game), Sword of the Berserk: Guts' Rage is also in there somewhere so with the recent surge in popularity of that then maybe we see it again (it always littered Dreamcast shelves whenever I went in game shops but I saw some footage a while back and it was actually quite good, missed trick on my part really) but I think they were more an outside Japan publisher there than anything with real rights.
I don't know who owns Gex (a mid tier 3d platformer, if you are going to explore a few 32 bit platformers go with Rare's efforts and Mario 64, but justifiably has its fans) after all this and that will need some digging but could be on the cards.
Crystal Dynamics are also attached to the new Perfect Dark title ( https://gbatemp.net/threads/perfect...painfully-slowly-dozens-of-staff-quit.609311/ )
Sticking with shooters then I should note Project Snowblind is probably in the mix here. Largely forgotten today it will probably be remembered in the future as a missing link in shooter development -- it is not a great game overall but mechanics they nailed.
For the sake of a complete set of links then crystal dynamics, though most of that is included in Eidos.
https://www.mobygames.com/company/crystal-dynamics-inc

Lot more than 50 games in there, even if I take out licensed games. I am not particularly expecting any surprises though.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There was technically a multiplayer game set in the universe that made it to open beta in 2015 and lasted a year or so in that before being canned. See "nosgoth", mostly seems to be a victim of trying to be a moba/dota clone while also doing the class based thing and because it was... that year when it was announced then of course asymmetric was the hot and sexy thing to pursue.
Never heard of that game.

They should just remaster or remake the two games. I have fond memories although I never completed either one.

Missing Number

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
is evermore included in that? someone remake that thing already

if its not, how much Square Enix? i'll buy. do you take coupons? Robotrek too

Elodain

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Didn't they already say everything after Intergrade wouldn't be on PS4?

ChiefReginod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's less reason to be hopeful for Tomb Raider than there is for the other franchises like Legacy of Kain. They're not going to spend 300 million dollars and then take huge risks with what they bought. So, I don't expect Tomb Raider to go back to its roots or even to see another reboot. It's going to be more of the same. They're probably just going to cut costs to make it a little more profitable.

But for the franchises that haven't had a new entry in a while, this is great news, because they wouldn't have bought them if they didn't plan to use them. I mean they're going to make some money from purchases of the older games, but nowhere near enough to justify the expense. So, I totally expect there to be a new Legacy of Kain game in the foreseeable future.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Taylor Swift death metal AI cover please lol