Gaming Square-Enix did it again...

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Meh, I never cared about language localisations, my country for example, it rarely gets a game in Portuguese, there's very few and mostly are sports and the like, since that's what most people here like, but even so, people don't really care in here. I've been to Spain, France and some other countries and heck, I hate what they do with their games and movies, they dub every single thing in the movies and even series, how awful is that? I once made the mistake of buying a Need For Speed game in France, stupid mistake, the game was in French, while I do understand and can read French, I don't like it, and it just sounds wrong.

I like to watch movies in their original languages with subs (although I don't even use them for English stuff), and I like to play games closely resembling it's origins, Kingdom Hearts goes just fine in English, mainly because the voice cast (for the Disney characters) are originally English ones (Alladin, Lion King, etc) and for other games, meh, I tolerate playing them in English because that's the most used language for these things (although I'd rather play a game in their original language, but unfortunately I don't know those languages so English will do), playing it in any other language, I always play a game in English, even if it has my native language on it, because it just seems wrong.

And well, most people nowadays are forced to learn English, kids learn English since 3rd grade in my country, so we don't need no dubs or translated games.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I feel sad for players who HAD previous games translated. It's not like it's a new series and they decided to not translate it, it's an old one and they just decided to change their policy :(

In the other subject here, I agree with Eerpow.
I don't know about spain, but France is very language protective. They even invent new words & terms to forbid use of english words every years. (like e-mail became mél, it sounds like english but it doesn't mean anything anymore)
They translate everything in media. there are no english at all except the very few music allowed on radio, which is controlled and have a limited quota per day.

Of course, the educational system wants the children to learn english, it's the first and mandatory language in school. But they don't provide anything in english outside the school.
I can read/write, but I have a terribly difficulty to understand/speak english with foreigners :(

Reactions: 3 people

Leeg

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
@Skelletonike
So much hate for your own language... as a philology student I fell SCARED of your post, really.

Edit:
Fellow dib, half of English language comes from Latin base words. So... why don't you stop being racist? Thanks.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I like my language too (but not for video games. Bad word choice) even if I think it's hard to learn and practice, even for native french.
But people can learn the difference between language without the need to force new words from "english sound" instead of ethymology where our language originate (latin/greek).
they are creating more bad than good by inventing words based on foreign sounds.
Sorry if you find it scary.

Edit:
Oh, it wasn't for me but skelletonike.
Well, then, I feel scary myself by French practice. they are making words from nothing. This is what a philologist should be scared of :P

Reactions: 1 person

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
So much hate for your own language... as a philology student I fell SCARED of your post, really.
I love my language, heck, I deem it as one of the most beautiful languages in the world and study it quite profoundly, I studied a lot about my language and even had Latin classes a few years ago, I just HATE the way France, Spain and some other countries do things, I HATE when everything is dubbed (yeah, USA also does that often), and I love my country for just subbing stuff (the government themselves talked about it a few years ago where it was better to have subs over dubs to improve knowledge as well), point is, I love my language, I just like games as closest to the original as possible, and most translations aren't done from let's say Japanese to French or Japanese to German, they're done Japanese to English and then English to German or whatever (most companies worked like that a few years ago, they might have changed it so dunno), during those translations a lot gets lost, believe it or not. =3

Reactions: 2 people

pyromaniac123

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็(ಠ益ಠส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็
Trophies
XP
Country

Edit:
Fellow dib, half of English language comes from Latin base words. So... why don't you stop being racist? Thanks.

Racist? wtf are you talking about?

Reactions: 2 people

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country

Edit:
It's not hate, we love our languages I don't see how you see it as hate.

And it is indeed sad to not have this translated, I never said it wasn't.

Frederica Bernkastel

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
While English does have a large number of words derived from Norman French, a Latin-derived language; it is actually a West-Germanic language, from Anglo-Saxon, with which it shares a significantly larger number of roots. Of course as a student of this field, you already knew that :).
Maybe as an esteemed lanuage-student and our resident expert, you should correct your definition of the term "racist".

Square Enix isn't translating the game for the sole reason that traditionally they have experienced poor sales in those regions, and thereby don't anticipate sufficient return for the cost involved in translating, distributing etc. It's not a new practice, it's not a harsh practice and it's certainly not an acceptable topic of discussion.

Reactions: 3 people

Leeg

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
No Latin or Klingon translations either. How could Square fail the Klingons?!

I find this offensive. That's all, then call it whathever you want.

By the way, the topic of this was about spending money in translating, not about English and its worlwide power.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
They have no obligation to translate the game to Spanish or Italian - those two languages are not "dominant" in the world. It's an international agreement that in this day and age, English is.

It's always nice to get a game that's localized and translated to your native tongue, but you have to keep in mind that those translations cost - you have to pay the translators to re-write scripts, you have to pay programmers that will code the newly translated text into the game while keeping it within the bounds of given strings, you have to add additional fonts with special signs, you need to further bugtest the whole contraption and on top of that, you need additional space on the cartridge, ESPECIALLY when the game is dubbed.

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
No Latin or Klingon translations either. How could Square fail the Klingons?!

I find this offensive. That's all, then call it whathever you want.

By the way, the topic of this was about spending money in translating, not about English and its worlwide power.
In my country I pay 45€+ for a new 3DS game, in Spain and France the price is roughly same for games (I go there often so I know), are you saying you deserve to have cheaper games when you've always gotten more benefits from translations than us, and still pay the same as us? If that was the case, your games should be more expensive rather than cheaper for the most part. ^^

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
well, spanish is the third Second language in the world. French is far behind but get a translation, so it's not based on the representation in the world but more probably about sells they made previously in these countries.
Or just bad contact between translating companies (which are sub-sub-hiring), no translators found in time, etc.
Could be any reasons we don't know.

edit:
Klingon was a joke. (and I guess a TBBT joke).

nando

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
They have no obligation to translate the game to Spanish or Italian - those two languages are not "dominant" in the world. It's an international agreement that in this day and age, English is.

lol what? spanish is the third most spoken language in the world. why bother translate to german and french then?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

lol what? spanish is the third most spoken language in the world. why bother translate to german and french then?
Because Square Enix has French and German divisions and no Spanish division that I know of? They have native speakers at hand, for Spanish they would need outsourced translators.

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country

The same thing would apply to those languages as well, the thing is that people in Spain already speaks Spanish and there's no reason why they shouldn't learn English too.

Leeg

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
The same thing would apply to those languages as well, the thing is that people in Spain already speaks Spanish and there's no reason why they shouldn't learn English too.

err... what? You can't find a job without English nowadays in Spain.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I would also like to add that it's not about the amount of Native Speakers of a given language but the so-called "Language Area". English may as well be the third on the list as far as NATIVE speakers are concerned, but it is widely spread and taught in nearly every school on this planet - it's the language of diplomacy and this is not disputable.

If we were to speak of lingual dominance the way you guys understand it, we might just as well demand a Chinese translation since the amount of Native Chinese speakers is astonishing.

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I am not saying anything about games being translated into Portuguese. O_O Have I?

Nope, but according to your logic, if you should pay less because a game hasn't been translated, then the majority of the games in my country should become much cheaper than the ones in Spain or France, which is obviously not the case, since the prices are roughly the same in the 3 countries (even tho we just get the international version, which means English).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: My friends decide what I do with my cock