Gaming Splatoon 2 - Can You Play With Japanese Players More Frequently from a US Copy of the Game?

Antisocial

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, scratch that. The reason I was never able to join her is because she was spending most of the time in Ranked mode. Today I texted her and asked her to just play a normal Turf War so I can test and get a definitive answer if I'm able to join or not. I was able to join. We played a couple of hours of Turf War and Salmon Run with no issues except a little bit of noticeable lag now and then, but it wasn't constant so it didn't make it unplayable or anything. I don't see why Nintendo region locked it to begin with, they could've at least gave an option of Worldwide or Regional like in Mario Kart.

TL;DR = Yes, as long as you are friends with a Japanese player you will be able to join them and play with other Japanese.

Last edited by Antisocial,

Eddypikachu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When switch titles have different version for different regions its only because theres only one language in each different regions game. For example I am Setsuna only has one title ID and using the japanese cartridge on a US account makes it so that the game has english subtitles. Puyo puyo tetris has different title IDs for different regions because playing a japanese version on a US account does not lead to english text being displayed, youd have to use the english version of the game to display english text. This is the same case with splatoon, playing a japanese version on a US account will not yield english text you need the english version to see english text thats why theres different title IDs.
TL;DR if a game has one title ID it has either been only released for one country or it has language options for all regions (like a one size fits all). If a game has two or more title IDs its because each version only contains one language pack
I highly doubt the japanese versions have different match making than the US version. If you look at Antisocials comment you can see that he experienced lag when playing with their japanese friend and this is what the matchmaking wants to prevent by matching you with people closer to you to have a smooth online experience. You can still sometimes get matched with japanese players too every now and then, I have experienced this

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

YuushiDaSuushi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Usually yes, but not in this case. According to switchbrew, the Japanese and American versions have separate title IDs. I'd be curious to know if the Japanese version would matchmake differently when playing from the States.
I have the Japanese version of the game, but when I play it here in the UK, I'm still matched with EU players. So, I'm assuming it's based on your current location, not region.

rg

Trophies
XP
Country
Alright, that didn't work. Created a Nintendo Account of JPN region and then started Splatoon 2 only to find out that I still played with US players. I then changed the region in system settings to JPN and tried again which also didn't work. The only thing I didn't try was having my region in system settings in Japan as soon as I started the game so that the save file would I guess be a JPN save file, but I don't think that would work either. Also, in creating a JPN Nintendo Account and adding it to a new user on the Switch, my News Feed was cluttered with JPN news items that I had to get rid of by initialising the Switch but keeping save data.

I guess for now it's impossible to play with mainly JPN players with a US version of the game. I am also using a US console.
proxy will do the world trkick

rg

Trophies
XP
Country
MAYBE, but whenever I tried it on my mobile hotspot or wifi, it wouldn't connect to the internet. I think a VPN works, but Proxies, from what I know, don't.
Yes, probably VPN is a bet, because it's UDP traffic from what i can tell ...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Y @ YuseiFD: :creep: