Hacking [SPECULATION] SSSpwn allows kernel access?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kylecito

eats warnings for breakfast
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
I trust that GovanifY is right. Even if he has never given proof of his "hacking abilities", he has delivered twice now, and has good insider info. If it weren't for him none of you without GW cards would have apps installed on your home-menu so that speaks for something.
Take the 3ds-dev dick out of your mouth for a second and be neutral. You don't owe these coding paladins anything. By releasing SSSpwn/ninjhax (and promising to do so since months ago) he knew he was doing something that could turn illegal, yet he still pressed on. I'm sure he doesn't give a shit about piracy except if he endorsed it he could get into even more trouble now. I think this all falls on the fact he's French, and as an European, the law can easily reach him if shove comes to push. If I was him, I'd have stood silent all this time and released an exploit through someone else taking full credit, preferably someone that lives in Ethiopia, Antarctica or any place Nintendo won't bother sticking their nose into :P

It's just a thing of time before either GovanifY or other competent coder reverses the hack and opens up the kernel access. I'm sure Gateway is REALLY interested in doing this, in fact ;)

ken28

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@region locking
4c1a4a45b463609d0a96110c52221bf3.jpg

Reactions: Margen67

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry I know I may sound like a hypocrite now but tbh I don't want it to ever happen because if all the 3d's will allow piracy so easy on the latest FW then you can kiss good bye to any decent games unless they are 1st party by Nintendo cause lets face facts who would even buy the games when you can get them for free so easy! The Nintendo 3DS handheld would take a massive nosedive if this happens!!! I'm sure they would sell the 3DS units by the bucket loads but games, not so, so this would be counterproductive for us all! :(
The percentage of pirates out there is just to small to have a significant impact on game sales. However I can't deny a psychological impact it may have on the developers.

Now I can't quote sources on the percentage of pirates, but as a Dad of two boys who have had flashcarts for 5 years I know none of their friends have them. All the other parents I have talked to about it are intrigued by having all the games on one card, but can't really be bothered with all the messing around with it.

Reactions: Margen67 and Reecey

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
Okay, just my two cents, regardless of if this guy is a hack or not:

It was never explicitly stated that SSSpwn couldn't lead to piracy, just that Smea made it a point to engineer SSSpwn in such a way that piracy wouldn't work. Maybe I didn't read the right posts, but nothing I read seemed to imply that SSSpwn was immune to those who might choose to break it down and go deeper to basically enable a CFW/piracy setup. With that in mind, I feel it is entirely feasible that someone may find a way to kernel access and essentially the ability to create CFW using SSSpwn as a starting point.

With that said, I imagine it will take longer than 48 hours for someone to completely breakdown SSSpwn and then do the digging necessary to see if a kernel exploit is even possible using it.

ken28

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Well... Home Menu handles region lock, so if you find a way to launch 3DS games out of Home Menu there will be no lock
and that is the problem. A userland exploit cant launch other games. Look at the VBHL and stuff.
wanna see that to, wouldnt be suprised if he says something like "i never claimed it didnt".
i still think SSSPWN != Ninjhax.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
If someone takes all known exploits, Gateway's loader keys and information, etc, and could combine ALL of these features and functions into a stable 9.x-based CFW that could load and run emunand, region free, rom loading, etc without a cartridge of any kind, that would be amazing. I'd stock up on a few 64GB full-sized SD cards of that ever came into light.

Reactions: Margen67

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
govani-looser has never delivered anything
stealing and posting stolen shit doesn't even qualify as delivering anything.

butthurt or not he did move the scene forward ,his leak let users on 4.5 w/o GW get CFW AND it led to GW releasing their new FW that allows cia installation
all this said everything that happened post the GF leak is bad timing and that bad timing will hurt in the long run i think, this is all getting a bit too high profile none of it should have happened till post full N3DS launch , fucking sky fucked it all up

Tracefox

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I dont want to make any assumptions or anything but I did go HMMM when I saw this the first time, I know it says its something else but.....yeah

Attachments

• VbxJgkZ.png
    VbxJgkZ.png
    24.8 KB · Views: 566

ken28

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Userland exploit can't load games from other sources, but reload card games i'm not sure....
reloading a game would result in new checks if the data matches which would result in errors. or case the other possibility would be the same as removing the cartridge while playing.

Edit:
At best you woudl only have the same right and premision as the source game which can confilict with other games, so it maybe is possible but not in anyway practical.

Ryanrocks462

Wii U/3DS Hacker.. Will test anything, A Pirate
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's very easy to support the latest firmware.
What they should do is to study SSSpwn. It obtains the kernel privilege in the course of installing hb:HB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Click on your profile pic in the top right corner, and you'll get the profile menu popup, with... +1