Homebrew Discussion [Speculation] Possibility of Microsoft Windows Games ON NINTENDO SWITCH ( wineHQ implementation )?

chaoskagami

G̷̘̫̍̈́̊̓̈l̴̙͔̞͠i̵̳͊ţ̸̙͇͒̓c̵̬̪̯̥̳͒͌̚h̵̹̭͛̒̊̽̚
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
Since all you aren't getting into actual technical problems here, let me start by listing them:

One. WINE will never be capable of running on Horizon. Horizon's way of mapping memory is fundamentally incompatible with WINE. WINE relies on proper mprotect'ing - not this weird two-address space thing where the actual virtual address can't be controlled. There is no way to spawn subprocesses in the way WINE requires. IPC is slow. The kernel is too far from POSIX for WINE to be even remotely viable. I could go on.

Two. Assuming you mean running WINE on Linux, WINE only supports the architecture it is currently run on. This means ARM or ARM64, so your x86/x86_64 games are a no go.

Three. There have been several attempts at hybrid emulation before in WINE (e.g. emulate CPU, proxy GL/DX to host.) None have truly bared any fruit yet. There are many fundamental deficiencies in WINE that make this a hard task, and it's why a huge amount of refactoring regularly has been happening in wineserver - because that would be the component responsible for such proxying. The Android effort is responsible for most of this.

tl;dr Give up, or make WINE run PC games on Android first. The switch won't be happening anytime this era.

Last edited by chaoskagami,

ChrisYT

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
With Dolphin you are not emulating x86 you are emulating PowerPC.

Also, Wine is not an emulator. You still need an x86 or x86_64 CPU to be able to to run Windows games and/or programs. Unless someone port Wine for ARM which only has compatibilty with programs or games ported to Windows RT (Microsoft’s 32-bit operating system for ARM architectures).
that's literally the name. Wine Is Not an Emulator.

Hambrew

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The switch got an unoffical version of Android, so install that. The Limbo PC Emulator has been taken of the Play Store, so get that from a trusted source. With that, you can play PC games on your Switch.

Or you could just stay on Horizon and install Windows 3.1 on the homebrew port of DOSBOX. Either one works.

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The switch got an unoffical version of Android, so install that. The Limbo PC Emulator has been taken of the Play Store, so get that from a trusted source. With that, you can play PC games on your Switch.

Or you could just stay on Horizon and install Windows 3.1 on the homebrew port of DOSBOX. Either one works.
You have clearly no idea what you are talking about
Stop chatting out of your arse
Game streaming works 10x better

chaoskagami

G̷̘̫̍̈́̊̓̈l̴̙͔̞͠i̵̳͊ţ̸̙͇͒̓c̵̬̪̯̥̳͒͌̚h̵̹̭͛̒̊̽̚
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
Limbo PC Emulator has been taken of the Play Store, so get that from a trusted source. With that, you can play PC games on your Switch.

Again, you people never seem to listen. Limbo is essentially a modified version of QEMU, which provides no graphical acceleration, and cross-architecture translation is slow. You won't be playing any games on Limbo. Especially since Limbo cannot be equipped with any sort of VirtualGL proxying from a Linux guest to the host due to Android's security restrictions.

Or you could just stay on Horizon and install Windows 3.1

Do I even need to point out that this was not remotely what was being asked in this topic? This wasn't about 1990s games that predate dedicated GPUs.

The only viable option for playing PC games on the Switch right now is wine-hangover on Linux, and this is an extremely small number of DirectX9/OpenGL games. No other option is able to play any modern game at any reasonable speed, assuming one wants it to run on the Switch and not over the network.

Last edited by chaoskagami,

KitsumiTheFox

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To be fair, Wine on android does exist for ARM platforms, and there is a project out there called "Hangover" that allows you to run x86 binaries on ARM platforms. I don't know about running any game on it, but other programs might be nice. Who knows? For reference: https://wiki.winehq.org/Emulation and https://github.com/AndreRH/hangover

D

Deleted User

To be fair, Wine on android does exist for ARM platforms, and there is a project out there called "Hangover" that allows you to run x86 binaries on ARM platforms. I don't know about running any game on it, but other programs might be nice. Who knows? For reference: https://wiki.winehq.org/Emulation and https://github.com/AndreRH/hangover

i tried for many hours to make it work. Someone here posted they got it to work under ubuntu but when i followed their instructions I could not. Hangover is possible though. So is exagear. Again while i myself could not get exagear working properly some have gotten it to work via android. So there are some possibilities currently available to ones wanting to accomplish various things. My goal was mugen...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: HAHAHA