Homebrew Discussion [Speculation] Possibility of Microsoft Windows Games ON NINTENDO SWITCH ( wineHQ implementation )?

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Of course I don't know! I don't have a Switch, only my trusty Wii U and dependable 3DS. :switch:

The picture of Dead Space (not halo 6) is obviously Photoshopped. I already said that.
I think there's a big communication breakdown here.
I am quite sure participants of this conversation don't really understand what each other is saying, and are replying to questions that were not made or to things that were not said.

It is quite weird. Not sure if it is funny or sad, but it is weird.

Reactions: tiliarou

Hambrew

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if the Pi 3 can pull off Diablo II, then I am sure the Switch could pull off at least that much
The problem lies with what ARM processors are used.
Pi 3B+ = 1.4 GHz Broadcom BCM2837B0, Cortex-A53 (ARMv8) 64-bit SoC
Switch = 1.0 GHz Nvidia Tegra X1
The Pi is surprisingly FASTER than the Switch, and it meets the minimum requirements for Half-Life 2, unlike the Switch.

XDel

Author of Alien Breed: Projekt Odamex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Pi is surprisingly FASTER than the Switch, and it meets the minimum requirements for Half-Life 2, unlike the Switch.

Mhz mean nothing, MIPS mean everything.

PiracyForTheMasses

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The pi is surprisingly NOT faster than the switch, not even close, try again buddy.

Reactions: Pickle_Rick

PiracyForTheMasses

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what:mellow:

Oh right, the RAM situation or something else. Good call.:D
Oh right, the RAM situation. No, cpu, gpu, ram etc. the switch beats the raspberry pi with ease. Go educate yourself before you get on here spouting off about things you do not know. God knows that people like you have already spread enough misinformation in this world

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Even if what he is telling is kind of harsh, it is true.
What you are telling is not correct, and shows you don't really have a good notion about computing in general.
And this is not even "tech geek" stuff or anything, the MHZ fallacy was a central topic of the CPU race on PCs back in the day, and it become obvious to the general public due to the weird naming of processors like the AMD Athlon 3200+ that were some kind of PR and didn't really match a MHZ value on the chip.

There are many things that matter for the computing performance of a CPU, starting with the specific architecture and number of cores. If those are not the same to begin with, comparing MHZ alone makes no sense. And we're not yet even speaking about other components that are relevant for a gaming device like e.g. GPU.

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Dude, if you keep this and your other replies up, I will go full paragraphs on your ass later to explain how wrong and misinformed you are! (I would do it immediately, but the CollegeSignal in the sky beckons for my call to action!)

Last edited by Silent_Gunner,

nmkd

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

I already said you have no idea what you are talking about.

Switch is faster than the Pi, even at 400mhz less, believe it or not.

Hambrew

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think there's a big communication breakdown here.

Mhz mean nothing, MIPS mean everything.

The pi is surprisingly NOT faster than the switch, not even close, try again buddy.

we're not yet even speaking about other components that are relevant for a gaming device like e.g. GPU.

Dude, if you keep this and your other replies up, I will go full paragraphs on your ### later to explain how wrong and misinformed you are!

I already said you have no idea what you are talking about.

Switch is faster than the Pi, even at 400mhz less, believe it or not.
woah.:ohnoes:

coppertj

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How about instead of people dividing wanting wine compatibility vs. people attacking others saying they're wrong, we do something easier such as complete a stream decoder for steam streaming or nvidia moonlight, you know, things that already have the project page and are being developed on github however, with the help of more dedicated people from the community we can actually get the stream decoder reversed engineered. Then its a win win for everyone, you can play windows games on it and stream your desktop to it even.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
It's worth mentioning that .NET does have ARM support. While Wine might be a dead end for running x86/x64 apps on ARM due to performance issues, it should be possible in theory to run .NET apps with decent speed, any native libraries would need to be recompiled for ARM though. Also, it is possible to compile .NET apps for "Any" architecture, or for a single architecture, and in the case of the latter it wouldn't run on ARM.

Reactions: coppertj

coppertj

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's worth mentioning that .NET does have ARM support. While Wine might be a dead end for running x86/x64 apps on ARM due to performance issues, it should be possible in theory to run .NET apps with decent speed, any native libraries would need to be recompiled for ARM though. Also, it is possible to compile .NET apps for "Any" architecture, or for a single architecture, and in the case of the latter it wouldn't run on ARM.

I like the idea of .NET being ported to switch, very good runtime/language library. With the knowledge of current libnx porting, .NET programs probably wouldn't be that hard to port either, just would have to re-work the program's gui for switch and button mapping depending on what the program is. Have not seen this suggested before but I would like to see this too.

Last edited by coppertj,

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How about instead of people dividing wanting wine compatibility vs. people attacking others saying they're wrong, we do something easier such as complete a stream decoder for steam streaming or nvidia moonlight, you know, things that already have the project page and are being developed on github however, with the help of more dedicated people from the community we can actually get the stream decoder reversed engineered. Then its a win win for everyone, you can play windows games on it and stream your desktop to it even.

While this would "work," I still don't like the idea of streaming games to anything. It's kind of like Capcom's original idea for "porting" Resident Evil 7 to the Switch.

Fact of the matter is, we live in a universe with scarce resources, and to get something like the GPD WIN2 costs a lot of money, and even then, there are sacrifices to be made playing games on that device, and it just doesn't have the same convenience of the Switch.

Now, if GPD could make a device like that that's perhaps a little more powerful than the GPD WIN2 (as I heard there'd be problems if they were to start development on a GPD WIN3 in regards to CPU's or something along those lines), but essentially acted as a clone of the Switch with a better battery life and was essentially a prototype for the GPD WIN3, I'd say to go for it so the WIN3 can be the ultimate portable gaming device that I've been wanting ever since those leaks about the Nintendo NX console that turned out to be true!

coppertj

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While this would "work," I still don't like the idea of streaming games to anything. It's kind of like Capcom's original idea for "porting" Resident Evil 7 to the Switch.

Fact of the matter is, we live in a universe with scarce resources, and to get something like the GPD WIN2 costs a lot of money, and even then, there are sacrifices to be made playing games on that device, and it just doesn't have the same convenience of the Switch.

Now, if GPD could make a device like that that's perhaps a little more powerful than the GPD WIN2 (as I heard there'd be problems if they were to start development on a GPD WIN3 in regards to CPU's or something along those lines), but essentially acted as a clone of the Switch with a better battery life and was essentially a prototype for the GPD WIN3, I'd say to go for it so the WIN3 can be the ultimate portable gaming device that I've been wanting ever since those leaks about the Nintendo NX console that turned out to be true!

I've always forgotten about the GPD WIN series. I like the form factor of the nvidia shield personally. But thank you for reminding me about that because I might have found my answer to a capable emulator machine. I do see your point though about not everyone has a pc that is capable of streaming games/a router that isn't 5ghz dual band compatible with a 7 antenna array setup. You bought the switch hardware as the game machine, not a streaming device.

I would like to see wine on switch however, I was talking about in another thread the idea of porting .NET runtime too. Since microsoft basically open sourced it at this point/has a arm port/linux port/android port, it would be interesting to see if someone brought it over.

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've always forgotten about the GPD WIN series. I like the form factor of the nvidia shield personally. But thank you for reminding me about that because I might have found my answer to a capable emulator machine. I do see your point though about not everyone has a pc that is capable of streaming games/a router that isn't 5ghz dual band compatible with a 7 antenna array setup. You bought the switch hardware as the game machine, not a streaming device.

I would like to see wine on switch however, I was talking about in another thread the idea of porting .NET runtime too. Since Microsoft basically open sourced it at this point/has a arm port/linux port/android port, it would be interesting to see if someone brought it over.

The problem you run into with WINE as far as my understanding of how it works is that it's kind of like trying to run an emulator on top of an emulator. I know, Wine Is Not an Emulator, but it's still a performance hit for games that aren't made to be running natively with Linux if I understand how it works correctly. I would have had an opportunity to try it out if my PC (which is capable of Streaming things just fine, but as I mentioned in another reply to you in the RA topic, it just wouldn't work for my situation, college student and all) decided to not bite the power dust like everyone except for the Phase 1 heroes in Avengers 3.

Personally, with how Microsoft is essentially acting like Windows is no longer our future in the media and how they're trying to make Xbox into a glorified gaming PC (which, let's be real, it kind of was already, but when you're adding M/KB support to your system officially, I have a feeling the Xbox brand is going to merge with windows to form the WindowsBox). When that happens, let's be honest, I don't think Windows will be so open like it used to, and will try to force everyone onto their new ecosystem. I know I'm getting somewhat paranoid here with this line of thought, but the fact that Valve is pouring big dollars into making Proton a real practical thing for Linux makes me wonder if they fear getting booted out of Windows so they can try to force the Windows Store onto everyone like they did with the massive success that was Windows 10S. /s

The other thing about streaming is data caps and just not owning the game yourself. I don't know how much data it'd require, but I know a lot of YT watching and downloading can really wreck how much data is available to you before you get charged overage.

Reactions: Deleted User

coppertj

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The problem you run into with WINE as far as my understanding of how it works is that it's kind of like trying to run an emulator on top of an emulator. I know, Wine Is Not an Emulator, but it's still a performance hit for games that aren't made to be running natively with Linux if I understand how it works correctly. I would have had an opportunity to try it out if my PC (which is capable of Streaming things just fine, but as I mentioned in another reply to you in the RA topic, it just wouldn't work for my situation, college student and all) decided to not bite the power dust like everyone except for the Phase 1 heroes in Avengers 3.

Personally, with how Microsoft is essentially acting like Windows is no longer our future in the media and how they're trying to make Xbox into a glorified gaming PC (which, let's be real, it kind of was already, but when you're adding M/KB support to your system officially, I have a feeling the Xbox brand is going to merge with windows to form the WindowsBox). When that happens, let's be honest, I don't think Windows will be so open like it used to, and will try to force everyone onto their new ecosystem. I know I'm getting somewhat paranoid here with this line of thought, but the fact that Valve is pouring big dollars into making Proton a real practical thing for Linux makes me wonder if they fear getting booted out of Windows so they can try to force the Windows Store onto everyone like they did with the massive success that was Windows 10S. /s

The other thing about streaming is data caps and just not owning the game yourself. I don't know how much data it'd require, but I know a lot of YT watching and downloading can really wreck how much data is available to you before you get charged overage.

without a doubt its forcing people into their ecosystem with power shell now. Why boot into linux when you can run linux on windows. There's a ton of linux distros on the windows store for free. Runs in a CMD prompt. Really weird imo.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/5uh_m4VgTY4