Sony Now Partially Refunding Early Vita Owners for "Deceptive" Marketing

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
I got mine on day one, and yes, it is a fucking boring video game unless you like weeaboo games, but I still dream about the day when a clever soul will hack it and allow us to play android on it...

(ok ok, I know, it will never happens)

Reactions: WiiCube_2013

TwinkleSparkles

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One of the suckers paid $525 to import a Japan region PS Vita when it was not released in North America. I got a nice cut of $16 of that sale because said sucker bought it by clicking my affiliation link on a signature at another website.

Yay consumerism!

tatumanu

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
So this refund applies to all early Vita owners in any country?
I got it a week or two after launch i think, i wasn't disappointed but i did think i could remote play with the PS3.
I had fun with it, i never had or played a PSP so i played a lot of that library and Uncharted wasn't bad at launch.
There are some great games on the Vita library too but yeah very limited at this point.
This console introduced me and hooked me to Metal Gear Solid series and i was able to play most of that series, it was one of the best handheld experience i ever had.

Reactions: WiiCube_2013

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
So this refund applies to all early Vita owners in any country?
I got it a week or two after launch i think, i wasn't disappointed but i did think i could remote play with the PS3.
I had fun with it, i never had or played a PSP so i played a lot of that library and Uncharted wasn't bad at launch.
There are some great games on the Vita library too but yeah very limited at this point.
This console introduced me and hooked me to Metal Gear Solid series and i was able to play most of that series, it was one of the best handheld experience i ever had.

Playing PSP games on an OLED screen and two analogue sticks must be pretty nice. Power Stone is probably just as much of a clustermess on the Vita screen as it was on the PSP (hard to tell what the hell was going on).

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did they claim multiplayer would be possible via 3G?

Eurogamer said:
Finally, early Vita ads strongly hinted that you'd be able to play live multiplayer matches if you splurged on the 3G model and subscribed to AT&T's Mobile Broadband Network. As it turned out, this was limited to asynchronous or turn-based gaming.

TL;DR: Basically.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Wow...
Sony sure is screwing up big time.

And people attack Nintendo just for the poor (not so much now with Smash) sales of the Wii U?
Heck, Sony attacks Nintendo DIRECTLY claiming that their Vita is the shit and stuff, now this.

LOL.
Karma Sony, that's what you get for being a wise-ass.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
maybe the ftc can force the companies selling completely broken games at launch to give a partial refund too?
or companies that sell you an incomplete game and release the rest as paid dlc?

your reasons (broken game, or game sold in parts with abusing dlc) vs the "Deceptive ads disguised as non-affiliated Tweets" complaint

which one is worse?

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty sure I bought a Vita sometime before the FTC date, so some extra money would be nice.

And if I do get it, as ND mentioned I'm totally gonna buy a bigger Memory card cuz contrary to Nin10yearolds the Vita has gaemz ;O;

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Why do they keep on going back to the Vita it's like this poor fella:

lets-beat-that-horse.jpg

Kayot

Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
Clydefrosch said:
so i guess you're playing ye olde 'if it was hacked everyone would buy one and also buy millions of games' card? that thing just never gets old, does it?

I'm saying that if it was hacked *I* would buy it now to catch up. I would then retire my PSP and PSPgo to storage and start using my emulators on the vita instead.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Wow...
Sony sure is screwing up big time.

And people attack Nintendo just for the poor (not so much now with Smash) sales of the Wii U?
Heck, Sony attacks Nintendo DIRECTLY claiming that their Vita is the shit and stuff, now this.

LOL.
Karma Sony, that's what you get for being a wise-ass.

The Vita is still 10x better than the 3DS. Funny enough the Vita has way more fun titles than the 3DS, the only reason the 3DS started doing good is because Nintendo had to SLASH the price. No one seems to remember that the first year or so for the 3DS it was basically a complete failure until Nintendo decided to butcher the price and likely start taking losses per sale just to get them out the door.

and I don't recall any Sony slander articles unless you wanna pull some up i'll call Nintenyearold bullshit fanboyism on that one.

Nintendo fanboys sure love shitting all over the place. You guys really need to be potty trained.

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so i guess you're playing ye olde 'if it was hacked everyone would buy one and also buy millions of games' card? that thing just never gets old, does it?

While it's definitely true for *everyone*, there are certainly people like me who basically avoid systems that aren't hacked/open. I mean, what's the point of buying a new system that you can't be made to run your own code when there's plenty of other systems that can run your own code (or someone else's that you can tweak*)? Exclusive games? Well, there's plenty of those on plenty of platforms and honestly I've already got way too long of a list of games to play from bundle sales to even worry myself about exclusive games as a rule of thumb--even for game series I really like.

Obviously, YMMV. And because I'm such a cheapskate, I tend to buy used hardware and games which mean the makers/developers aren't going to directly see a dime**. So, in the end, it's all perhaps a wash for them regardless. I mean, I only recently bought a Nintendo DS Lite.

* Not that I or most people are liable to tweak most things, but someone often does. And then we end up with a decent media player or a port of a *nix game you like or whatever. So, again, another shout out for the GCW0 which is really awesome and has a good many *nix game ports. :)

** Indirectly, more used games can mean more disposable income for gamers who buy new games to buy new games, although that doesn't work out much consider the low payout on used games usually. Regardless, I don't support the notion of makers/developers getting any sort of "cut" of sales just because Gamestop has cornered the market. I mean, if they really want a cut? Just enter the market and offer better rates than the competition. It wouldn't be hard given how bad Gamestop and Amazon are. But, yea, I can see that eating into their bottom line much more and so they'd rather just complain as if Gamestop were actually reasonable they'd be mostly okay with it... *sigh*

Purple_Shyguy

Trophies
XP
Country
The Vita is still OPINION . Funny enough the Vita has way OPINION, the only reason the 3DS started doing good is because PERSONAL THEORY. No one seems to remember that the first year or so for the 3DS it was OPINION until Nintendo decided to butcher the price and likely start taking losses per sale just to get them out the door.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
The Vita is still 10x better than the 3DS. Funny enough the Vita has way more fun titles than the 3DS, the only reason the 3DS started doing good is because Nintendo had to SLASH the price. No one seems to remember that the first year or so for the 3DS it was basically a complete failure until Nintendo decided to butcher the price and likely start taking losses per sale just to get them out the door.

and I don't recall any Sony slander articles unless you wanna pull some up i'll call Nintenyearold bullshit fanboyism on that one.

Nintendo fanboys sure love shitting all over the place. You guys really need to be potty trained.

Of course it is, in your opinion.

I love me some Mario 2D/3D and this I can't get on PlayStation.

Sony had Crash Bandicoot on PS1 and instead of keeping it as their mascot they let Activision fuck around with it. Same goes for Spyro the Dragon.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Vita really has been an unadulterated abortion here. That much is true. Even where I work, I could find more people owning a 3DS or even a PSP as opposed to the ONE GUY with a Vita, and not even a 3G+wifi vita at that.

The promises of an LTE-enabled Vita were obviously vaporware, along with any inherent TV-out support. That "playstation TV" doesn't count, as to my understanding it is incompatible with any games that do happen to use the touch functionality in any way, let alone any other differences compared to playing with a controller.

Being perfectly blunt, the only reason I even had any interest in a PSP at all was for all the cool shit people could do with one via homebrew, and thus I never picked one up while it was actively supported because Sony kept going out of its way to try and block everything. Its native games didn't even factory in until after I managed to pick one up cheap enough.

I do want Touch My Katamari, but that's about the only for-vita game I know of that I actually want to play. Everything else just seems like more generic brown FPS and scaled down rehashes of stuff I already have (and/or played) on my existing consoles. Finally, the severe amount of misfortune I've had with just about any electronics from Sony since they entered the video game business, doesn't exactly fill me with good faith about their practices, or if they'll even stand behind their warranty.

As it is, I would still rather import a Japanese wireless one simply because the US one is arbitrarily locked to the worst possible wireless provider of the big four (AT&T), whereas at least the japanese one is supposedly carrier unlocked, and thus any SIM should work for that, and grant me options.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: @BigOnYa How have you been