Some Android phones possible to be wiped by a link

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
I think it depends what games you have but won't people just visit sites they normally go on their computer anyway I mean I don't check out anything new on my phone.
Nope, plenty of people use their phones to access the internet while out or on public transport. And not everyone has their computer turned on 24/7, I know a few people who don't even turn their computers on anymore and use the phone on wifi instead. Different people use their phones in different ways, and "going on the internet" is a pretty common one.

About the exploit, am I the only one bothered that this has been known about for some time and the only response has been "we fixed it in the new version"? According to Google's Play store statistics there are so many users still on Gingerbread and earlier OSs that surely this warrants a patch, or am I missing something here? (and yes, my HTC Wildfire S on 2.3.5 is affected)

Just Another Gamer

星空のメモリア-Wish upon a shooting star- Fanboy
Trophies
XP
Country
I think it depends what games you have but won't people just visit sites they normally go on their computer anyway I mean I don't check out anything new on my phone.
Nope, plenty of people use their phones to access the internet while out or on public transport. And not everyone has their computer turned on 24/7, I know a few people who don't even turn their computers on anymore and use the phone on wifi instead. Different people use their phones in different ways, and "going on the internet" is a pretty common one.

About the exploit, am I the only one bothered that this has been known about for some time and the only response has been "we fixed it in the new version"? According to Google's Play store statistics there are so many users still on Gingerbread and earlier OSs that surely this warrants a patch, or am I missing something here? (and yes, my HTC Wildfire S on 2.3.5 is affected)
I'm not saying people don't use it to access the internet at all since I do but I just visit the sites I normally go on when I'm at home anyway like GBATemp and dA. Otherwise I don't have that much of a social life to need to visit many websites.

I'm a little curious would this affect you if your using CM9? Since my SGW has been running CM9 for it since its release and it gets updated quite regularly.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'm a little curious would this affect you if your using CM9? Since my SGW has been running CM9 for it since its release and it gets updated quite regularly.
No, it's based on AOSP and AOSP has had a fix for this for several months now. You should be safe. To be safe, click the link in the post above mine; if your IMEI is displayed, you're still vulnerable. Check for updates to your ROM and if none are available, install this new app as a temporary workaround: TelStop (this is probably a better solution than Dialer One, which I previously recommended, but either is completely fine).

Just Another Gamer

Trophies
XP
Country
No, it's based on AOSP and AOSP has had a fix for this for several months now. You should be safe. To be safe, click the link in the post above mine; if your IMEI is displayed, you're still vulnerable. Check for updates to your ROM and if none are available, install this new app as a temporary workaround: TelStop (this is probably a better solution than Dialer One, which I previously recommended, but either is completely fine).
If it has been for several months then it should be fine, I'm just worried since the most recent update was one September 17 so I wasn't really sure if it could happen to me or not. It's not much of a concern since I backed up everything with TB already so I can restore it any time.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If it has been for several months then it should be fine, I'm just worried since the most recent update was one September 17 so I wasn't really sure if it could happen to me or not. It's not much of a concern since I backed up everything with TB already so I can restore it any time.
Did you read my post? Like I said, click the link in the post above my last post to check if your phone is vulnerable. Don't guess or assume. It takes literally about 1 second to check for sure.

Just Another Gamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Did you read my post? Like I said, click the link in the post above my last post to check if your phone is vulnerable. Don't guess or assume. It takes literally about 1 second to check for sure.
Sorry I did check and its good. Got no problems.

[M]artin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the real problem is that potentially any link could be a harmful link, its really hard to be sure when browsing on your phone. That is, I could post a link right now that reads "Kirby Epic Yarn Review, let me know what you guys think in the comment section" but it will take you to puppiesdoingbackflips.gov. Most people click on links at sites they visit commonly with question or a second thought.

I know in browsers you can hover over a link and see where exactly its taking you, but in most mobile browsers, its slightly more of a hassle to see that info quickly and effortlessly. People simply click to get where they wanna get. Especially on their phones. And now that this has surfaced... it's a little scary. :(

Quietlyawesome94

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd be so tempted to post this on a warez site for Samsung devices.

'Want the latest and greatest Android game? Click the link below from your phone to download it!'

Exactly what the little fuckers deserve. :lol:

Just Another Gamer

Trophies
XP
Country
I'd be so tempted to post this on a warez site for Samsung devices.

'Want the latest and greatest Android game? Click the link below from your phone to download it!'

Exactly what the little fuckers deserve. :lol:
facepalmplz.jpg

Reactions: 1 person

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Hey Kennyboy, have you found any decent mini Pc for around $200-250? Fast enough to play most Pc games.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'd say save another $100 anythtwith 8core upgradeable ram I'm thinking about ordering the acemagic still
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn, I haven't turn on my OG Xbox one in ages, just did now and ofcourse, 32GB update required, gonna take forever.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Edit: nevermind, I forgot I up-ed my internet speed, only 30 min remaining.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Will a mobo with a M2ssd slot work without a M2ssd installed, using a sata ssd temporary?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    As long as sata just point bios to boot to it as main drive
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Is that a compilation of you?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    M.2 is more of a luxury you can still boot from Ide if you really wanted to
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I mean as long as the motherboard still has sata ports unless you're still in celeron days
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    wut
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh it has Sata 3
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It should still have a Bootable option in bios select drive
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    whats sata?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How you were born
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Sata is the type of interface/cable connection of hard drives/disc drives for Pc.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't tell them about old bank drives may explode
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Mini pcs in the 70's
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    128kbs of storage
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do I connect this to my emachine
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The Tattooist of Auschwitz is pretty good so far