Hacking Question "Software update required" when launching game card Mario kart 8 deluxe...WTF?

AgentMcMuffin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It could possibly be that the Switch is now requiring internet access for an update for you to be able to play the game. It could also be that it's a misnomer. What happens when you clear your internet settings and accept the "Download" prompt? My guess is it will either install the pre-downloaded update or allow you to play.
It prompts me to add a new connection. I've tried it already.

AgentMcMuffin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you tried changing the SSID of your Wi-Fi or unplugging your router, and then attempting to click the Download button?
I appreciate that you are trying to help but I feel like you don't understand the issue. Downloading the update is exactly what I don't want to do. All that will happen after that is it will prompt me to install the update everytime i try to launch my games.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I appreciate that you are trying to help but I feel like you don't understand the issue. Downloading the update is exactly what I don't want to do. All that will happen after that is it will prompt me to install the update everytime i try to launch my games.
You don't seem to understand my troubleshooting advice. We want the Switch to realize it can't connect to the internet to download the update, and that could be accomplished by turning off the router or changing the SSID so it doesn't match the internet settings on the Switch. Once you hit the Download button on the update prompt while being disconnected from the internet, the Switch might let you play the game, and the prompt might go away.

Edit: Clearing the internet settings on the Switch apparently didn't work, but you might just be able to edit its SSID settings in order to stop connections to the internet.

Last edited by Lacius,

AgentMcMuffin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You don't seem to understand my troubleshooting advice. We want the Switch to realize it can't connect to the internet to download the update, and that could be accomplished by turning off the router or changing the SSID so it doesn't match the internet settings on the Switch. Once you hit the Download button on the update prompt while being disconnected from the internet, the Switch might let you play the game, and the prompt might go away.
I have already tested this, and it simply prompts you to connect to another network.

DocKlokMan

Plugin Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Booting to recovery mode will wipe the pending update. You don't need to do anything in recovery mode, you can restart immediately afterwards. Tested on FW 3.0.0 and below.

Reactions: Lacius

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
YOU'RE FUCKED than go buy a 2nd switch and update that and play mk8 on it to save your precious backup loader (which won't be coming for years ) this GUY bought three ask him to sell you one! :lol:

Last edited by Bladexdsl,

Istolla

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm on 2.3.0, have not had any updates as I bout my system after 3.0.1 went live.
This means no SD update, no game updates ever yet, no DLC as I have never had access to eShop.

From my experience I can play BotW just fine, though no JP voice for me cuz that requires a game update. :sad:
However, I have my switch set up so it does not connect to the wifi network I gave it automatically.

To set that up I followed the instructions in the "How to update games without updating your system" which gave steps on telling the switch not to auto connect to the network on its own as well as how to "clear" a system update already downloaded, which these two items I'll reiterate bellow myself.

Unfortuantly, I'll note now so no one gets to excited.
Updating game data only is no longer possible without a system update as that process on the Nintendo server side got a fix, and it now checks system firmware of your device.
When attempted, a pop up with instructions on how to update the sys firmware comes up.
Now if someone tries this anyway, that pop up only has "ok" at the bottom of it, don't panic that won't update your device, it only closes the pop up.​

Anyway let's see if we can get you back up and running.
Forgive my newbieness but I'll go step by step as to what I've done to mine in hopes that any part of it might help you.

Upon first set up of the device, I let it connect to the net, luckily it can't "force" any update during setup, and I declined to link a ID to my profile as this also requires an sys update first.
After getting to the main home screen it wanted to apply the update it had downloaded during setup, I declined.
Following the steps in the thread I linked I turned "Connect Automatically" to the wifi I had set up, off.
  1. This is found in "System Settings → Internet → Internet Settings → Registered Networks"
  2. Push A on the Registered Network → Change Settings → Scroll down and change "Connect Automatically" to off → Save changes
  3. Exit out to home screen → Push & Hold power till the menu comes up → Power Options → Turn Off.
This should clear out any System update your device downloaded and prevent it from trying to download a new one, this will also prevent MarioKart8 from auto checking for an update for it's own game data.

If you are still getting these update prompts even after that there is a way to clear your system without losing saved data..
https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSw...to_factory_settings_without_losing_savegames/
I think this method maybe what @AnalogMan was talking about.

Hope that helps, sorry if I gave you steps to things you've already tried.
~Istol.

Soluble

Trophies
XP
Country
I know that this reply doesn't help your situation, however on 3.0.0 I have a handful of games and my MK8D is the only game that tells me there's and update, (after i booted to recovery and wiped the auto downloaded 3.0.1) it still says there's an update to MK8 when I launch it. But it still launches.

Is it possible that there's a bug in that FW that won't allow the game to boot if it has checked and knows there's an update?

zeveroth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, I am on 2.3.0. I have played the game as well as Breath of the Wild and both worked fine before. Mario + Rabbids works just fine.
What game is it that started requiring you to update? Also, why did you have the Wi-Fi on if you knew there were system updates? I'm guessing you were still on 2.3.0 or whatever for the reason of an eventual hack or mod. Should have known better. Just saying....

studio1b

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On my switch if i click on zelda it tells me a update is around and can download it but I can click start software and it plays zelda.
If I click on MK8 it loads game
If I click USF2 it loads game
If I click Tetris it loads game
all digital but USF2
console at 3.0.0 US

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/9kE3Env_2AY?si=Bs6lUZ0ZIlqmYaGT +1