Hacking Question "Software update required" when launching game card Mario kart 8 deluxe...WTF?

AgentMcMuffin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why am I required to connect to the internet to play a game cart? What about people who have no internet?

How do I subvert this?

DocAmes1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, I am on 2.3.0. I have played the game as well as Breath of the Wild and both worked fine before. Mario + Rabbids works just fine.

Did your Switch somehow download the update data. If so check your DNS settings and reboot. Reboot to recovery if a regular power cycle doesn't delete the update data if it indeed has been downloaded.

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Why am I required to connect to the internet to play a game cart? What about people who have no internet?

How do I subvert this?

People without internet won't get the update nag, unless the update is provided on the game cartridge itself.

As for subverting this, I don't know how it's done but I think I've heard of people doing something to get around it. Kind of like cleaning temporary files and not being connected to your wifi (or block the update servers in your router).

AgentMcMuffin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People without internet won't get the update nag, unless the update is provided on the game cartridge itself.

As for subverting this, I don't know how it's done but I think I've heard of people doing something to get around it. Kind of like cleaning temporary files and not being connected to your wifi (or block the update servers in your router).

Yeah, I didn't think about that when I first posted. But still sucks if, say, internet is cancelled and then you just can't play games.

Someone just posted a thread saying that if you format the console including the save data then it deletes the update data and you can play the games. Not a great option since saves are deleted.

g00s3y

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cool, so I guess you can leave the homebrew board.

But why would I want to do that? It's fun here.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Here's a solution. Buy a second switch, keep your original one on 2.3.0 and put it in the closet. Update the new switch and play your games without any problems.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I didn't think about that when I first posted. But still sucks if, say, internet is cancelled and then you just can't play games.
My understanding is that, in this situation, the Switch would only refuse to launch a game if the update were coming from the cartridge or if the update has already been downloaded. So, canceling the internet shouldn't cause a problem.

Reactions: Xiphiidae

AgentMcMuffin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My understanding is that, in this situation, the Switch would only refuse to launch a game if the update were coming from the cartridge or if the update has already been downloaded. So, canceling the internet shouldn't cause a problem.
But clearly the update is not already downloaded as the system menu is requiring me to "Download" the update.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But clearly the update is not already downloaded as the system menu is requiring me to "Download" the update.
It could possibly be that the Switch is now requiring internet access for an update for you to be able to play the game. It could also be that it's a misnomer. What happens when you clear your internet settings and accept the "Download" prompt? My guess is it will either install the pre-downloaded update or allow you to play.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnRVIC7kS4s