COMPLETED Guide: How to uodate your games without updating the device

Discussion in 'Switch - Hacking & Homebrew' started by ogioto, Mar 31, 2017.

1. ogioto
    OP

ogioto Member

Newcomer
    Mar 30, 2017
    Okay, I've decided to create this guide for the people who want to updste their games, but not the consoles.
    The guide is for people who find too hard to deal with the dns settings. I've made it for few friends of mine, who aren't good with hardware and software terminology and stuff and decided to post it also here.
    This guide is oriented for the single palyer games at this point, because there aren't lots of multiplayer games for now. Also, the guide is for wifi connections, I don't have a lan adapter to experiment with, but if somebody got one and know how to make the trick- don't wait, post it here :P

1. You must have a wireless conection which have already used once with the device.
    2. Go to the System settings>Internet>Internet settings
    3. When it load the list, it will separate it. In the part with "Registered Networks" you should find and choose your network.
    4. On the menu that will appear choose "Change Settings"
    5. At the bottom you will see an option called "Connect Automatically". Switch it to off
    6. If you were connected to the network and have the device update downloaded on the console, but not installed, you can do a total shutdown on the console (hold the power button, choose " Power Options" and then Power Off. This will delete the device update file and wouldn't be prompted to update until the next time the update is downloaded. If you weren't connected to the network and don't have the device update prepared.
    7. Start the console, without connecting it to the network, and press the minus button while you are on the tab of the game you want to update.
    8. On the menu that appeared, there's a tab named "Software Update" an in it option "Via the internet" that you should choose.
    9. Choose your network when the list is loaded.
    10. It will start to download your game update. When finished and the game is ready, repeat step 6 before anything else, just to assure yourself that there's no update on the system and you have no longer connection trough which it could be downloaded.

Sorry if there are any mistakes, I'm writing this from my phone due to the fact I'm so sick, I can't even go to my pc...
    I hope it will help somebody.

2. Axelanders

Axelanders Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 31, 2017
    Gambia, The
    If I skip the system update prompt to start the game I get a seperate prompt just for the game update.
    It updates the game without installing a system update.

But of course, that bears the risk to accidentally click the wrong update.
    Just wanted to share.

Edit: Huh, I think I misunderstood this a bit, it's all about disabling the system update prompt. That's not really an issue for me, so it didn't even cross my mind.

Last edited by Axelanders, Mar 31, 2017
    Zidapi and ogioto like this.
  3. studio1b

studio1b Member

Newcomer
    Mar 14, 2009
    United States
    NEW YORK CITY
    can you say what SYSTEM UPDATE you are on becaue i have tried this with 1.0.0 and does not work

kramer987 likes this.
  4. ogioto
    OP

ogioto Member

Newcomer
    Mar 30, 2017
    It's really interesting that you have encountered problem. One friend of mine had informed me before time, that 1.0.0 might have different settings due to the fact that it was known at the time that there will be "day one system update". But it's really interesting, if there no web kit but other hidden options, it might be really useful to known that. Thanks for the report, I'll try to investigate if I found someone with 1.0.0 in my city ;)

5. YourHero

YourHero GBAtemp Maniac

Apr 22, 2010
    United States
    Was there an actual reason not to update? As far as I can see it, nothing will be patched anyway since nothing has really been found or at least announced as found. I was mostly in hope for more fixes of sorts. Or maybe they just add a damn activity log.

6. ogioto
    OP

ogioto Member

Newcomer
    Mar 30, 2017
    Well, there is nothing yet, but on 2.0.0 we have working pegaswitch, which might end up being the key to "unlock" the system full homebrew and hqck potential. And if somebody wanna have a chance to use that chance he'll want to stay on thjs version. And also it's not like Nintendo is pushing the people to update their consoles like Sony- we can still use the eshop and play the games without the new firmware. So it's up to people to the decide, but if there are no new options added, no version restricted eshop and games, I don't see why people should update and loose this option, if there is nothing to win if they update. And Nintendo never liked the changelog for non-authorized people idea or at least I remember the thi gs this way...

7. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein Professional asshole at GBATemp

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    No reason not to uodate.
    You know, a kernel vulnerability may not be present in the current system.
    It is even possible that you get one only by uodating to some specific fw version.
    And as there is no way to uodate to a specific fw version that is not the last one, you could very well end up with no hack because you didn't uodate.

That said, I don't give a fuck about a hack or not a hack.
    I prefer to live today and uodate.

lefthandsword likes this.
  8. YourHero

YourHero GBAtemp Maniac

Apr 22, 2010
    United States
    This is actually true. I don't think Wii U had a Kernel exploit at all on earlier fw.

9. lefthandsword

lefthandsword GBAtemp Fan

Apr 6, 2015
    Hong Kong
    root
    The exploits are there but nobody bothers with backporting them to older FWs when the latest one is exploitable

DayVeeBoi likes this.