PS1/2 Softmodding a (fat) PS2 in 2017

rs1n

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Updated for 2019 -- everything still remains the same, but added a few more details.

For any PS2 (slim or fat) with model number less than 9xxx, the simplest method is to obtain a memory card with Free MC Boot installed. The cost of such a memory card is around $10 (USD) on ebay. Once you have such a memory card, you can create new ones or update it to the most recent version (I always have one as a backup that I have stored away safely). For owners of the fat PS2 consoles, you can also soft mod your PS2 to use your HDD (and even use Free HD Boot -- the HDD version of Free MC Boot).

Yes, I am aware that many users are kind enough to provide a free service for installing FMCB. I am of the opinion buying one from ebay is better than the time/cost it takes to send away a memory card and have it freely modified with FMCB.

The process below is for those who DO NOT already have access to Free MC Boot, but DO have a PS2 with Network Adapter and HDD.

HARDWARE REQUIREMENTS

If you own a fat PS2, then you actually can create your own FMCB memory card without having to do any of the disk swapping nonsense. All you need are:
  1. the official network adapter
  2. and a PATA IDE HDD. Consult http://ps2drives.x-pec.com/?p=list for compatibility. You can alternately modify your network adapter to use SATA hard drives with: http://www.maxdiypower.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=103. If you stick with PATA drives, then chances are you will need some sort of USB adapter. I personally use: https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-USB-...d=1499650298&sr=8-1&keywords=pata+usb+sabrent which has support for both SATA and PATA and runs on the faster USB3 ports (backward compatible with USB2). In theory, you can use any IDE adapter that fits the network adapter, and any storage device that your IDE adapter handles. (For example, any small enough IDE-to-SATA adapter with a 2.5" HDD, or an IDE-to-SD card adapter with an SD card in place of an HDD) You will have to figure out a way to secure the storage device inside the bay, however.

NOTE: A 3rd-party SATA "network" adapter might work, too, if you do not have access to an official network adapter (with or without a SATA modkit).
  3. A USB drive formatted to FAT32.
  4. An official 8MB memory card (unofficial cards will likely work, but your mileage may vary)

INSTALLATION PROCESS

Once you have the necessary hardware, it is a fairly simple process. The idea is to write a boot image to the HDD so that we can run custom code. The boot image can be found in the first post of this thread: http://www.ps2-home.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7132

1. Connect the HDD to your computer. Mac and Linux users can copy the image file to their HDD using the dd command. Windows users can use HDD Raw Copy (https://hddguru.com/software/HDD-Raw-Copy-Tool/) or Win32 Disk Imager (https://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/). There are plenty of alternatives, so feel free to use your favorite.
  2. Connect the HDD to the PS2 via the network adapter. (Make sure that the PS2 is unplugged whenever installing or removing the HDD or you could very well blow a fuse!)
  3. When you boot the PS2, it should eventually load up the PS2 menu. Select UlaunchELF (wLE 4.43a), which is basically like a very simple-looking (but powerful) Finder on a Mac, or Windows Explorer on Windows platforms. Use this to run the FreeMCBoot installer (https://sites.google.com/view/ysai187/home/projects/fmcbfhdb) by copying the installer from you computer onto your USB drive, and plugging the USB drive into the PS2. Use UlanchELF and traverse to the USB drive (called mass in the UlaunchELF browser) to find the installer. Always format your memory card first -- this is a necessary step in the Free MC Boot installer! The FreeMCBoot installer will also have a FreeHDBoot option.
  4. Install FreeMCBoot onto your memory card.
  5. After FreeMCBoot is installed onto your memory card, power off the PS2, and then power it back on. Navigate to uLaunchELF from the PS2 browser menu and launch it. (This version is likely newer than the one that came with the HDD image.) REQUIRED: Use the disk manager tool within uLaunchELF to format your hard drive. (This step is required regardless of whether you choose to install FreeHDBoot. This is necessary to recover the entire storage space on the HDD since the boot image we used earlier is very likely not the same size as your drive!) Then run the FreeMCBoot installer again to install FreeHDBoot onto the HDD.
Installing FreeHDBoot is optional (the HDD equivalent of FreeMCBoot) but it will likely be slightly slower (just a few seconds) in terms of bootup time when compared to FMCB. Though a few seconds slower, using FHDB means you no longer have to have a memory card dedicated to FMCB in one of your memory card slots.

NOTES FOR THOSE NEW FMCB

Once you have FMCB installed onto a memory card (and optionally the HDD), you can use uLaunchELF to install more apps such as Open PS2 Loader (OPL) for loading games through the HDD. Just download the apps onto your USB drive and copy them to either your memory card or HDD, and edit the FMCB/FHDB menu (it is one of the options in the PS2 browser menu when you boot with FMCB/FHDB).

Last edited by rs1n,

rs1n

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So is the HDD required? I have a PS2 Slim so i was just curious, My gameshark doesn't seem to properly transfer files from my USB to MC properly :unsure:

If you absolutely do not want to shell out $10 (US dollars) for a pre-made memory card, then slim users must unfortunately use the disk swapping method (which I will not get into here because I have not done this myself) to install FMCB themselves.

If you instead meant to ask whether the HDD is required at all to softmod your PS2 (slim or fat), then no an HDD is not required. Having an HDD simply makes it easier to do it yourself, and allows you to play games off of the HDD. There are other methods for playing games (e.g. via ethernet or USB) once you have your system softmodded.

y0shim@ri0

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Theres also a few other ways to mount a HDD: 1, you can buy a 20$ SATA board, and actually change the IDE to SATA, or 2, you can buy a cheap 3rd party sata or ide adapter which doesnt have any actual network capabilities. (and before anyone asks, yes, you can use these and they do work)

orangy57

bruh
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
for the slim, I picked up a copy of Agent Under Fire and a DVD-R at my dollar tree, which totaled only six bucks. If you have a fat and slim PS2, mod the slim then transfer the memory card. It saves you quite a few bucks and a lot of time for disk swaps.

RicoSuaveGuapo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for this guide... I've been using HDLoader* for years, but the optical drive is slowly failing.

If I already have FreeMCBoot on a memory card (I just ordered one from eBay), what steps do I need to take from there? I assume I still need to write the boot image to the hard drive?

*HDAdvance 3.0

Last edited by RicoSuaveGuapo,

J-Machine

Self proclaimed Pog champion
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
last i checked the custom code was on the memory card for everything but the homebrew itself which you can easily put on the usb drive. Softmodding the ps2 is just having a freemcboot memcard plugged in during boot. only if you are running backups off an HDD would it be required. (you can also run games over usb - not recommended- or ethernet network.) as for the network adaptor... just buy a sata based one. its not exactly easy to get such old HDDs anymore; especially new. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/SAT...lgo_pvid=bccd223b-13c6-4735-b16e-2422bb663449

Reactions: RicoSuaveGuapo

RicoSuaveGuapo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks - that clears things up a bit. I have the original network adapter and a working IDE drive installed, so I should be set. But I'll probably order one of those SATA adapters for future-proofing.

TVL

#|
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Thanks - that clears things up a bit. I have the original network adapter and a working IDE drive installed, so I should be set. But I'll probably order one of those SATA adapters for future-proofing.

I have the original network adapter too, you could just get an IDE to SATA adapter to future proof it (I have a Sata to SD adapter too and one of these days I'll use an SD card for my PS2 games, right now my IDE HDD is still alive though).

J-Machine

Self proclaimed Pog champion
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have the original network adapter too, you could just get an IDE to SATA adapter to future proof it (I have a Sata to SD adapter too and one of these days I'll use an SD card for my PS2 games, right now my IDE HDD is still alive though).
i'll probably get an sd adaptor one day but for now having 500gb on a sata is pretty nice so i'm in no rush. The ide to sata though... they cost about the same and in my opinion is kinda useless unless you already have an IDE that still works.

I also forgot to mention the HDloading software will format your drive for you in my earlier post for what it's worth.

TVL

#|
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
i'll probably get an sd adaptor one day but for now having 500gb on a sata is pretty nice so i'm in no rush. The ide to sata though... they cost about the same and in my opinion is kinda useless unless you already have an IDE that still works.

I also forgot to mention the HDloading software will format your drive for you in my earlier post for what it's worth.

Yeah, I would see no reason to get one in your situation either.

Not sure if there is a misunderstanding here, the adapter is from IDE to SATA so he can continue using the Network Adapter he already has. He's not saving a whole bunch of money on it though since what you linked was only 15 bucks (really cheap and an awesome thing for everyone who doesn't have the official network adapter already). I think you could get a IDE -> SATA for 3-4 dollars. If he happens to play online on his PS2 still he can keep doing that too. So I don't really see any downside whatsoever to my suggestion.

Sverri

Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
What's the max capability for an hard drive on the PS2?

Thinking about getting the complete PS2 game collection.

ac_fernandom

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I have a modded PS2 FAT, that runs backup game discs. I have no idea which mod chip it has.
Can this procedure still be done anyway ?

rs1n

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a modded PS2 FAT, that runs backup game discs. I have no idea which mod chip it has.
Can this procedure still be done anyway ?

Yes. You might possibly have to disable the mod chip. That said a mod chip would make it easier than the steps in this guide. Most mod chips allow you to run unofficial code. All you need is to set up your mod chip to boot the uLaunchELF program. Once you have that, just run the FMCB installer.

spectral

Trophies
XP
Country
Is there a way to properly handle disc swaps when playing games from the HDD yet? Was planning on finally getting round to playing the Xenosaga games but some of them are multi disc. Also which is the best program for transfering games over to the PS2 HDD (HDD connected to PC via USB preferably)

Last edited by spectral,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill