PS1/2

PatsRox

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I have a PS2 Fat, just got a SATA HDD connector. Installed FHDB on the hard drive several different ways and all versions available (even tried version that supposed work with mod chips although I don't think my system has one). The PS2 will boot FHDB but when it gets to the System menu, selecting any of the options cause a black screen and hangs the PS2 (for example OPL and uLaunchElf hang). Basically no apps will run. I can use Browse, System Config or Shutdown option but nothing else. Tried 2 different HDs (2TB, 160GB), both same issues.

I installed the latest FMCB on a memory card and that works 100%. Using FMCB and memory card I can loading games from the HDD and launch any application. Any idea why booting off HDD doesn't work?

Last edited by PatsRox,

fringle

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Did you format the drive with the ps2 first before installing FHDB? Try loading FMCB and just seeing if you can browse the hdd. If not load FMCB, format the hard drive through ulaunchelf, misc menu. Then try reinstalling FHDB.

Reactions: CoolMe and zfreeman

PatsRox

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you format the drive with the ps2 first before installing FHDB? Try loading FMCB and just seeing if you can browse the hdd. If not load FMCB, format the hard drive through ulaunchelf, misc menu. Then try reinstalling FHDB.
Yes I did format the drive on PS2 using HD Manager the ulaunchelf. And I have FMCB loaded on memory card and it can launch OPL and play games of the HDD no problem. The system works 100% with FMCB on the memory card but booting FHDB off the HDD, it fails to run any app after a successful boot to the main menu.

fringle

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yes I did format the drive on PS2 using HD Manager the ulaunchelf. And I have FMCB loaded on memory card and it can launch OPL and play games of the HDD no problem. The system works 100% with FMCB on the memory card but booting FHDB off the HDD, it fails to run any app after a successful boot to the main menu.
Load FMCB, open ulaunchelf and see if you can browse the hdd after you format it. If you can't browse the hdd, then there is a compatibility issue with the hdd.

Reactions: CoolMe

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
format the hard drive through ulaunchelf, misc menu.
This should do it. if it can't or won't format it correctly, there's something with either the hdd or the sata adapter that's causing this. I assume you're using the Bitfunx sata board connected to the OEM Sony network adapter? Or is it the Gamestar one, the one without the ethernet port? If it's the latter, Maybe it's a compatibility issue with your hdds (with the Gamestar adapter). I have the Bitfunx one, and i have FHDB installed on the hdd with no issues.

PatsRox

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe there’s a compatibility issue with the Sata HDD adapter? Which adapter are you using?
It is the GameStar adapter. Do you think if I try the Kaico one it might work? It seems to have better results but neither is the original network adapter which is hard to find these daysm
Post automatically merged:

This should do it. if it can't or won't format it correctly, there's something with either the hdd or the sata adapter that's causing this. I assume you're using the Bitfunx sata board connected to the OEM Sony network adapter? Or is it the Gamestar one, the one without the ethernet port? If it's the latter, Maybe it's a compatibility issue with your hdds (with the Gamestar adapter). I have the Bitfunx one, and i have FHDB installed on the hdd with no issues.
It's GameStar adapter. I tried two totally different HDDs and they both had same issue (2TB and 160GB).

Load FMCB, open ulaunchelf and see if you can browse the hdd after you format it. If you can't browse the hdd, then there is a compatibility issue with the hdd.
I can browse to the HDD using FMCB. As a matter of fact, it is fully functional. If I boot FMCB from mem card I can load OPL and run all my games from the HDD. It just that if I boot FHDB from the HDD, OPL or any of the other apps won't run, just black screens after selecting it from the FHDB menu.

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's GameStar adapter. I tried two totally different HDDs and they both had same issue (2TB and 160GB).
It's been a while since i've done this but, try with different versions of FHDB, there's one that's under 1gb without all the different homebrew apps on it. Download the latest OPL & uLaunchElf and copy them to your flash drive, and set them up in freemcboot configurator so you can use those instead of the ones that come with FHDB. Unless you can't access freemcboot configurator?

PatsRox

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's been a while since i've done this but, try with different versions of FHDB, there's one that's under 1gb without all the different homebrew apps on it. Download the latest OPL & uLaunchElf and copy them to your flash drive, and set them up in freemcboot configurator so you can use those instead of the ones that come with FHDB. Unless you can't access freemcboot configurator?
The FMCB configurator won't load either. It black screens launching any . ELF file

Loxtrec

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I have a PS2 Fat, just got a SATA HDD connector. Installed FHDB on the hard drive several different ways and all versions available (even tried version that supposed work with mod chips although I don't think my system has one). The PS2 will boot FHDB but when it gets to the System menu, selecting any of the options cause a black screen and hangs the PS2 (for example OPL and uLaunchElf hang). Basically no apps will run. I can use Browse, System Config or Shutdown option but nothing else. Tried 2 different HDs (2TB, 160GB), both same issues.

I installed the latest FMCB on a memory card and that works 100%. Using FMCB and memory card I can loading games from the HDD and launch any application. Any idea why booting off HDD doesn't work?

I'm having the exact same issue right now. Please update the thread if you find a solution 🙏

PatsRox

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try re-installing FMCB to the latest.
Did that, also installed the latest Noobie version and re-formatted.

Do you think if I bought the Legacy adapter which seems to be popular on Amazon instead of the GameStar I currently have it might fix the issue or are they all the same?

Last edited by PatsRox,
Reactions: SylverReZ

Fien

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Are you really sure the PS2 doesn't have a modchip in it? I have a SCPH-50004 with a Modbo 5.0 chip and it has the same symptoms: works fine with FMCB, but with FHDB it boots and every app gives a black screen. Even the versions which should support modchips.

Loxtrec

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you really sure the PS2 doesn't have a modchip in it? I have a SCPH-50004 with a Modbo 5.0 chip and it has the same symptoms: works fine with FMCB, but with FHDB it boots and every app gives a black screen. Even the versions which should support modchips.

Any easy way to definitively tell if this is the case? I'm having the same issue but when I put a burnt disc or out of region game in, it doesn't boot, so unless there's something else I need to do to get a game to boot, I don't think mine is hard modded.

Fien

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
If it doesn't boot backups and the laser is good, then it's probably not chipped. To be sure about it, I think dissembling the unit is the easiest way. Also, take a look at the guarantee sticker. If it's still intact, it's probably never opened and not chipped.

Loxtrec

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it doesn't boot backups and the laser is good, then it's probably not chipped. To be sure about it, I think dissembling the unit is the easiest way. Also, take a look at the guarantee sticker. If it's still intact, it's probably never opened and not chipped.
Warranty sticker's still on so probably not chipped.

I decided to bite the bullet and buy yet another adapter (this is the third one I've bought). I decided to buy from a different brand, Rgeek, to see if I have better luck. I'll post an update once it arrives and I've tested it.

Last edited by Loxtrec,

PatsRox

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What is the combination you use to disable that modchip,?

Fien

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
For this Modbo 5.0 it's holding the "start"-button on the controller when turning on the console. Then at the "Disabled"-screen press reset on the console one time to reboot with disabled chip.

Reactions: CoolMe

PatsRox

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I decided to bite the bullet and buy yet another adapter (this is the third one I've bought). I decided to buy from a different brand, Rgeek, to see if I have better luck. I'll post an update once it arrives and I've tested it.
Let me know if it works!

For this Modbo 5.0 it's holding the "start"-button on the controller when turning on the console. Then at the "Disabled"-screen press reset on the console one time to reboot with disabled chip.
Well that didn't work so it must not have a Modbo 5.0 modchip

PatsRox

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Let us know if it worked with the different SATA adapter.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol