Gaming So who else is getting the gtx 1080?

GTX 1080?

• Nope. Happy with my current GPU

Votes: 31 56.4%
  • Bought day 1, couldn't wait

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Waiting for custom PCBs and cooling solutions, reference can suck it

Votes: 10 18.2%
  • Nah, 1070 for me

Votes: 11 20.0%
  • Fuck Nvidia, AMD for life

Votes: 2 3.6%

• Total voters

raystriker

The powers that be
Trophies
XP
Country
India
You can never really tell, as nvidia has basically bought off all the AAA game devs to make it more optimized for their cards (and shitty for AMD users). And why not this on 1080? It will be amazing at 1080, and enough at that (above 60fps at max).
Again, it is priced uphill. I'm pretty sure Polaris will manage 1080 at 60fps pretty well. Mind you, Polaris is aiming to be affordable.

Reactions: Jiehfeng

Jiehfeng

The One
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Sri Lanka
Again, it is priced uphill. I'm pretty sure Polaris will manage 1080 at 60fps pretty well. Mind you, Polaris is aiming to be affordable.

I see, if what you're saying is true, something below $380 and yet beating the performance would be heaven, kinda doubt that but I guess time will tell.

Reactions: raystriker

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You can never really tell, as nvidia has basically bought off all the AAA game devs to make it more optimized for their cards (and shitty for AMD users). And why not this on 1080? It will be amazing at 1080, and enough at that (above 60fps at max).

Not really.

Vast majority of games the 970 & 290/390 perform moreless the same. 390X & 980 tend to trade blows. 980ti tends to beat fury X more often than not, but that's nothing to do with Nvidia, fury X is just bad.

Of course, there's a handful of games that ran worse on AMD than Nvidia, but the reverse is also true, with games that run much better on AMD over Nvidia, but those are always ignored or written off as a "bad port".

vayanui8

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm going to get either a 1080 or a 1070. It really comes down to how big the performance gap ends up being between them. If the 1080 is a far superior card I will get it, but if it's like the 970 and 980 where the 970 could reach similar performance with overclocking I'll just save myself the money and get a 1070

verifyvenuz

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.venuspatrol.com
XP
Country
Poland
Either waiting for non-reference (seriously? "Founders Edition"?) cards or getting AMD. I'd rather support the latter, but if it comes at a big performance disadvantage then nah.

BTW, I'm not exactly immersed in the deep PC lore -- would a i5-6500 work properly with a 1080? I could get a 6600k (overclocking is tempting...) but with a cooler it's an extra 300 shitty Poland bucks :(

Last edited by verifyvenuz,

Jiehfeng

The One
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Sri Lanka
AFAIK its the 10th of june. Think I read it in some article.

Yup, just confirmed it, can't wait.

Not really.

Vast majority of games the 970 & 290/390 perform moreless the same. 390X & 980 tend to trade blows. 980ti tends to beat fury X more often than not, but that's nothing to do with Nvidia, fury X is just bad.

Of course, there's a handful of games that ran worse on AMD than Nvidia, but the reverse is also true, with games that run much better on AMD over Nvidia, but those are always ignored or written off as a "bad port".

So you're saying as there are games unoptimized for amd, there are also games like that for nvidia? And they're bad ports? Like what games? I faintly remember arkham knight was better on amd, but I'm not entirely sure. :unsure:

nxwing

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
1070 is releasing the 10th of june right? Might pick it up for my brothers birthday :D
That's just 10 days before school resumes here. I'll hopefully have enough money by then. I just don't want to start another school year without a PC. It's horrible.

D

Deleted User

Yeah,

I do love the actual price tho, and the 1070's too. The 1070 is supposed to be equivalent to a Titan X, and is only $379.

Should've waited for titan x prices to go downhill. :P
nah i would not get it for the same price as i got the r9 290

Last edited by ,

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So you're saying as there are games unoptimized for amd, there are also games like that for nvidia?
Yes

And they're bad ports?

No, not bad ports. But whenever AMD have a significant advantage in a game, Nvidia fans like to write the game off as a bad port, rather than it just working better on AMD.

Like what games? I faintly remember arkham knight was better on amd, but I'm not entirely sure

Quantum break. Pretty much unplayable on Nvidia, suffers frequent driver crashes, but is fine on AMD.
Hitman. AMD significantly outperforms Nvidia.
Ryse Son of Rome. Performs like shit on maxell.

Most games work fine just fine on both brands except for the occasional game favouring one brand over the other. The whole AMD running most games bad because Nvidia pay devs off is just pure fantasy.

Last edited by Armadillo,

Jiehfeng

The One
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Sri Lanka
Quantum break. Pretty much unplayable on Nvidia, suffers frequent driver crashes, but is fine on AMD.
Hitman. AMD outperforms significantly outperforms Nvidia.
Ryse Son of Rome. Performs like shit on maxell.

Most games work fine just fine on both brands except for the occasional game favouring one brand over the other. The whole AMD running most games bad because Nvidia pay devs off is just pure fantasy.

Thanks for clearing it up. And maybe it is fantasy, but one part of it is true, the exclusive "GameWorks" nvidia pays devs to put in their games, that work better on nvidia cards than amd cards (not that it's still good performance, but it is better).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: though if it s important to go online for a game I would much rather buy it