What are one's options in life after being cancelled?

Deleted member 681657

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
The example in this post is The Completionist but I'm asking about anyone who has been cancelled, not just him. In this post I am making some big assumptions about his future and only time will tell whether they happen. I'm not an expert on American law. Keep the discussion related to the thread title rather than moral judgements about his actions.

So now that some pretty damning allegations are out, The Completionist is being cancelled. He still lives and (as far as I know) currently does not have a criminal record but it looks like he will probably get one and spend some time in jail. His videos will always get less views and he will always have less supporters on Patreon. YouTube may never be a financially viable option for him again.

So what can he do when he's out? It takes 10 years for a criminal conviction to become spent (not show up on future criminal record checks) and even then there are exceptions depending on the job one is applying for and the length of the jail sentence. Even after the conviction becomes spent, the publicity surrounding this case means there will always be fraud allegations showing up when one searches "Jirard Khalil" online. When I think of jobs which don't require a police check and managers are unlikely to conduct their own background check, I think of restaurant jobs and farm work, neither of which are something you want to do for life. Or he could just fly to Sweden or Norway and beg to be locked up in a luxurious jail cell for life.

What options are available to someone who has been cancelled?

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Also...
who.gif

Deleted member 681657

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
There's a difference between being "cancelled" on social media and being "found guilty of fraud and sentenced to prison" and I'm not sure which one you are referring to.
By being "cancelled" I mean that being a content creator is no longer a viable option for him because he can't make enough money doing it anymore and when one searches his name online there will always be articles accusing him of fraud. His hypothetical future criminal record is not the same as being cancelled but getting hit by both makes his options for the future far more limited.

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
By being "cancelled" I mean that being a content creator is no longer a viable option for him because he can't make enough money doing it anymore and when one searches his name online there will always be articles accusing him of fraud. His hypothetical future criminal record is not the same as being cancelled but getting hit by both makes his options for the future far more limited.

Don't worry, he'd probably fake his death and will make a new username. And people will make that new username famous again. 👍

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
The general practice lately for when something like this happens is to change tack and go work for the Daily Wire.

Seriously though, a whole bunch of celebrities were implicated in scandals of some sort or other, and while it did impact their numbers, they are still going. Issue a token apology, lay low for a few days and then carry on regardless.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Maybe move on and do something else. I guess do something less public, less related to being a public personality.
I mean, even if you had a criminal record you are still alive, even if you are in prison you are still alive, just do stuff. Read a book? Write a book? Have a humble life?
I guess it implies a change of life, but well, you can do stuff.

Deleted member 681657

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
The general practice lately for when something like this happens is to change tack and go work for the Daily Wire.

Seriously though, a whole bunch of celebrities were implicated in scandals of some sort or other, and while it did impact their numbers, they are still going. Issue a token apology, lay low for a few days and then carry on regardless.
When you put it that way it reminds me of a lesser-known Fire Emblem YouTuber Mangs who allegedly sexually assaulted several girls, but it never went to court, and he's still getting enough views to make ends meet.

Deleted member 681657

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Maybe move on and do something else. I guess do something less public, less related to being a public personality.
I mean, even if you had a criminal record you are still alive, even if you are in prison you are still alive, just do stuff. Read a book? Write a book? Have a humble life?
I guess it implies a change of life, but well, you can do stuff.
I meant, how can someone make money to pay their bills in such a situation?

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Who's "The Completionist"? :wtf:

We should not assume everyone know everything we do.
He is some gaming Youtuber that set up some kind of charity foundation scheme, he was supposed to collect money and donate it to Dementia related research. It seems he collected money for years and never donated a penny allegedly; and something in this direction was admitted/confirmed by him.

And again, related to the OP, he would find a job and make money like any other ex-criminal does. With some effort. Life, who cares? You reap what you sow.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
How have people tried to cancel you?? You've never done anything wrong.. As far as I know..
Being a VTuber, enjoying Made in Abyss, identifying as a trap, and a few other thing terminally online folks on Twitter don’t like

Last edited by The Catboy,

jeffyTheHomebrewer

Neato Burrito!
Trophies
Website
catboybeebop.neocities.org
XP
Country
United States
Being a VTuber, enjoying Made in Abyss, identifying as a trap, and a few other thing terminally online folks on Twitter don’t like
only thing here that feels bad is identifying as a trap, but hell man, I kinda vibe with the label of "transmasc" because that's how I feel about my own gender despite being assigned male at birth. Do what you want forever.
no clue what made in abyss is though

Reactions: SylverReZ

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto