ROM Hack Sleep_LZ.bin Color Editor

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Decided to make a basic program that will hopefully make color edits of the home menu sleep_LZ.bin much easier.
It also has the ability to save/open color theme files to make sharing color edits possible (without sharing the entire sleep_LZ.bin)
The awful code is also public on github
GMiIhBt.png

amlgA6d.jpg

Features:
  • Read color data from sleep_LZ.bin.bin (sleep_LZ.bin LZ11 decompressed with MSBT Editor Reloaded)
  • Write color data to sleep_LZ.bin.bin
  • Save current colors to .slzt color theme file
  • Open .slzt color theme file
Note:
This is currently a beta
. I've tested it pretty well, but there are probably some ways to break it. If you find any bugs, please report them on github!

Releases:
Releases will be found on the github linked below:
https://github.com/TheCyberQuake/SleepLZColorEditor/releases

Requirements:

WIndows with latest .net framework

Planned features:

I'm looking into the possibility of creating a python script to install .slzt color themes directly into a decompressed sleep_LZ.bin. That would at least open up the possibility to install custom color themes on other platforms, even if you can't currently create color themes on those platforms.

Feel free to share your color themes and final results below!

For info on how to get started modifying home menu, please see my other thread below:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/500253/

Updates:
1.1.1:
  • Fix bug where leading 0 of a low value hex byte was dropped, ie 04 was being read as 4, 00 was being read as 0
  • Prevent user from inputing an invalid sleep_LZ.bin.bin. Throws a plain-english error rather than a crash.

Last edited by TheCyberQuake,

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As far as I can tell, I seem to be the first to make a program like this. Which just feels wrong because someone should have done it by now, rather than just have everyone manually hex edit color values.

Reactions: VzUh

Lumince

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Manually editing the colors was a pain :rofl2: It was awful... I got a few old drive documents that have offsets on them. They were technically public but yea. Glad to see someone doing something with this though.
Having to manually edit things made me avoid it tbh.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Manually editing the colors was a pain :rofl2: It was awful... I got a few old drive documents that have offsets on them. They were technically public but yea. Glad to see someone doing something with this though.
Having to manually edit things made me avoid it tbh.
Yeah I believe I have the same online document, which I used to set all the proper offsets for read/write. I was also tired of manually editing the colors and wanted something easier.

OblivionReign

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
As far as I can tell, I seem to be the first to make a program like this. Which just feels wrong because someone should have done it by now, rather than just have everyone manually hex edit color values.
Nope i made a program just didnt share it much :) yours is alot better tho lol https://github.com/Arch9SK7/MenuDump

I was working on a rework in javascript which included the functions of everything including grabbing the firmware files but been working on switch projects atm.

Last edited by OblivionReign,

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good job, this was something that was definitely needed. Have you tried looking into the home menu too?
The issue is not much else has publicly documented offsets for color editing. I'm looking into other things but most of them are not fully documented, and I don't have the knowledge to find those myself.

Also of note, a new update is out and is extremely recommended to update as it fixes a crucial file reading bug that would cause some nasty crashes if it were to read something like a pure red/green/blue color.

Reactions: akira123

akira123

Trophies
XP
Country
The issue is not much else has publicly documented offsets for color editing. I'm looking into other things but most of them are not fully documented, and I don't have the knowledge to find those myself.

Also of note, a new update is out and is extremely recommended to update as it fixes a crucial file reading bug that would cause some nasty crashes if it were to read something like a pure red/green/blue color.

Ah ok, fair enough. Also I don't know if you've seen it yet so I'll link it here. There's a more in depth guide on editing the home menu. http://dungeonfire.tk
It's not explained in the guide but there's also a way to replace the images used in some areas, I can give you instructions on this if you want. The bottom screen icons and the sleep_ lz buttons can be replaced for example.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Is funny how they replaced the $5 foot long sub, with a 1" wide $5 foot long cookie or cinna stick, cheap asses
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They still have but it's like $10 cookies honestly not a bad deal for $5
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Bidenomics
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    True, everything almost double nowadays
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    But I could go to Aldis and get a cookie pie for like $4
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or use your new cooking pan and make some, don't mind the Old leftover foods mixed in.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just eat plain flour around cops
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    thats Gluten abuse, they would shoot you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Depends on the color chart
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Wheat flour has a lower chance at survival
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Isn't wheat flour the whitest of the white?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Rye would get shot at sight.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Depends
    img_5941-1.jpeg
    everyone mixing their flour now days
  • Veho @ Veho:
    That's whole wheat, right? Because all purpose flour is also made from wheat.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm not a flour expert I just snort it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    There also is black rice flour, and its really black colored
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Bruh that's gray.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's ancientboi color
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    You need to add some activated charcoal.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've seen some that are dark dark, my wifey uses it sometimes in her bs recipes
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Cool.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BigOnYa, Seems like your wifey likes hers black. :creep:
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @BigOnYa, Seems like your wifey likes hers black. :creep: