Homebrew SigHax Updates and Discussion Thread

doughmay

Huh. Time went by fast.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not true, it's actually easier and less risky to install B9S directly on their 9.2 Sysnand. It doesn't require downgrading at all anymore, so less chance of bricks and all you need is a homebrew entrypoint to get started.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Do you have the payloads in SD:/luma/payloads? Also what version of Luma are you running? Newer versions use a chainloader while older ones require the payloads to be linked to corresponding buttons.
Oh. Interesting.

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh. Interesting.
Yeah it's literally three steps now:
1. Get Homebrew
2. Install Boot9Strap
3. Restore/Update the system.
DONE.

Something else now. I read the guide here https://3ds.guide/get-started and there is nothing about installing A9LH first in order to install boot9strap. Am i missing anything?
No, for like the third time you do not need A9LH prior to installing boot9strap.

qqq1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you have the payloads in SD:/luma/payloads? Also what version of Luma are you running? Newer versions use a chainloader while older ones require the payloads to be linked to corresponding buttons.

I ran through the prep work section twice to make sure I had all the files in the right places. I have Luma 6.6.

doughmay

Huh. Time went by fast.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah it's literally three steps now:
1. Get Homebrew
2. Install Boot9Strap
3. Restore/Update the system.
DONE.

No, for like the third time you do not need A9LH prior to installing boot9strap.
Wow thats almost as easy as pressing the staples easy button.

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I ran through the prep work section twice to make sure I had all the files in the right places. I have Luma 6.6.
So you are just trying to load the installer for boot9strap correct? If so try these two things...
1. Enter system settings, then exit and hold "start" to load the program.
2. Rename "SafeB9SInstaller.bin" to "arm9loaderhax.bin" and replace the Luma payload on your SD card. Then you should boot directly to the installer.

If i restore my nand with godmode9, would it delete the sighax/boot9strap?

Taken directly from the guide....

"Restoring a NAND Backup
Instructions
  1. Boot your device while holding (Start) to launch the Luma3DS chainloader menu
  2. Launch GodMode9 by pressing (A)
  3. Navigate to [0:] SDCARD
  4. Press (A) on your NAND .bin to select it, then select “NAND image options…”, then select “Restore SysNAND (safe)
  5. Press (A) to unlock SysNAND overwriting, then input the key combo given
    • This will not overwrite your boot9strap installation
  6. Input the key combo given to unlock SysNAND (lvl1) writing
    • This process will take some time
  7. Once it has completed, press (A) to continue"

Last edited by Majickhat55,
Reactions: Guyver

ceelo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi all, I have been out of the scene for a while. My N3ds is 11.2 or so using A9LH Luma3DS. I never heard of this new CFW type thing before, is it replacing Luma3DS? WHat happened in the scene that made this change? I didn't want to make a new thread asking, and I see this has been a discussion for 150+ pages, so if someone can fill me in or direct me, that'd be cool.

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi all, I have been out of the scene for a while. My N3ds is 11.2 or so using A9LH Luma3DS. I never heard of this new CFW type thing before, is it replacing Luma3DS? WHat happened in the scene that made this change? I didn't want to make a new thread asking, and I see this has been a discussion for 150+ pages, so if someone can fill me in or direct me, that'd be cool.
It doesn't replace Luma, it replaces A9LH. Luma is still the CFW of choice and is only compatible with Sighax as of now. What happened was this is the most "secure" hack released, and can't be soft-patched at all. It's permanent in the truest sense of the word, other than the fact you need to update Luma when there are new releases. There are more "reasons" boot9strap is superior to A9LH but for average users those points are moot.

Since you're on A9LH already, follow this guide, it takes 10 minutes: https://3ds.guide/updating-to-boot9strap

Reactions: ceelo

RustInPeace

Samurai Cop
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The sudden release of this and B9S makes me wonder if New 2DS XL will be cracked on the same level as the other consoles now, upon arrival. Before this I was reading that it could be a hardware revision, but this release makes me think it won't. Or, it may require extra things, but the endgame is still guaranteed to be reached.

And the boot speed is hardly improved, if at all. Not that it's a bad thing, because it boot fast enough for me (9-10 seconds), I just noticed nothing significant in that.

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The sudden release of this and B9S makes me wonder if New 2DS XL will be cracked on the same level as the other consoles now, upon arrival. Before this I was reading that it could be a hardware revision, but this release makes me think it won't. Or, it may require extra things, but the endgame is still guaranteed to be reached.

And the boot speed is hardly improved, if at all. Not that it's a bad thing, because it boot fast enough for me (9-10 seconds), I just noticed nothing significant in that.
Well since the exploit was revealed at cc3c before those consoles were announced, I find it highly likely they will have revisions to patch the exploit. If not, then they're just idiots IMO.
I'm not sure of boot times on mine, I was using bootanim9 so it took a minute anyway. Though now it's gone, it seems like it takes longer but that's probably just me getting lost in that blackscreen before boot..... Lol

Reactions: RustInPeace

qqq1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So you are just trying to load the installer for boot9strap correct? If so try these two things...
1. Enter system settings, then exit and hold "start" to load the program.
2. Rename "SafeB9SInstaller.bin" to "arm9loaderhax.bin" and replace the Luma payload on your SD card. Then you should boot directly to the installer.

Didn't seem to work. Can I manually update Luma to 7.05?

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Didn't seem to work. Can I manually update Luma to 7.05?
Of course you can, also try downloading a new copy of the boot9strap installer. Sometimes they just become corrupted.

To update luma, just download the release zip and copy the arm9loaderhax.bin to your root. Then redownload the installer, rename is to "start_SafeB9SInstaller.bin" and put it in the payloads folder.

zay_wopp

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys, I tried asking elsewhere but couldn't get an answer. I had an old 3ds on 11.0 that I switched to b9s and now I'm trying to clear some files from the sd card.

Can anybody tell me what is safe to delete, both on the root and 3ds folder? Pics attached.

Screenshot (2).png Screenshot (6).png

pixelmasher

Gaming Gamer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys, I tried asking elsewhere but couldn't get an answer. I had an old 3ds on 11.0 that I switched to b9s and now I'm trying to clear some files from the sd card.

Can anybody tell me what is safe to delete, both on the root and 3ds folder? Pics attached.

View attachment 87587 View attachment 87588
1st: Everything except:
3ds, DCIM, FBI, JKSV, luma, Nintendo 3DS, Themes, boot.3dsx, boot.firm, and otp.bin
2nd: Everything except:
data and FBI
I don't know your exact setup so if you're worried about screwing up, just copy everything to PC, delete, check to see if it's ok, then delete it off PC or restore missing stuff.

Last edited by pixelmasher,

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1st: Everything except:
3ds, DCIM, FBI, JKSV, luma, Nintendo 3DS, Themes, boot.3dsx, boot.firm, and otp.bin
2nd: Everything except:
data and FBI
I don't know your exact setup so if you're worried about screwing up, just copy everything to PC, delete, check to see if it's ok, then delete it off PC or restore missing stuff.
He can delete the OTP.bin too. It's not needed and it can be dumped at any time with B9S.

Reactions: zay_wopp

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: lemme ask in forums