Hardware Should i buy the Switch or the Wii U?

D

Deleted User

i would be lying if i said that i don't won't to buy the switch. i want. just not now. maybe when the new mario will come out i will buy the switch cuz i love mario games.

Reactions: alexj9626

alexj9626

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Panama
I own a Wii, a Wii U and a Switch.
The premium feeling from the Switch is a lot higher than the Wii U. Plus using cartridges instead of discs will most likely prolong the lifespan, and jesus christ the Wii U's disc drive is loud.

I got to ask an important question, how much is your income sort of speak? Because this can be one major factor in this argument.

This is kinda what i want, experience with those console.

Like i said, i study and work. Partial time job so thats for paying my college and a little money that i save every month. Nothing big, i can save 50-75 $ a month.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I mean, like i said in the OP, i have been working a lot for a console. I had a PS4 but it broke and my good old Wii. I want a console no matter the game, BOTW is just the cherry you know.

This is what i want to know. I mean, Wii U DOES have good games. Is not about quantity is about quality. I LOVE Smash 4 and im pretty sure that it has some good games. What im asking myself is how good the console really is. Is the Switch better than the Wii u? And not because is older, like i said i think Wii > Wii u.
The Wii U is a good console TBH.
It is very small and power efficient, the gamepad is too big TBH and not so great, but it works.
There are a few really good games.
I wouldn't sell mine, because I have a couple of games there that I still haven't completed, like Xenoblade X.
But there are not many great games. I would say Smash4, Zelda BOTW, Bayonetta 2, and Mario Kart 8. Those are kind of great for me. Also, because of what I like, Xenoblade X and Tokyo Mirage. I have all of that in discs, I like to buy physical, and then comes the next problem.
In my experience, it is very slow to load things. It hurts everytime I get a loading screen from Mass Effect 3 for example. I can make and drink a coffee in between.
The console is like a very reliable power efficient Xbox 360 with a Nintendo logo, but almost no games, and that hurts. Also, it is dead.

The Switch is just better in every way possible.
It has better hardware. It is more power efficient. It is fucking portable.
Right now it has only a couple of games, Zelda BOTW being the only great game (but there is a couple of good games in there already).
Mario Kart 8, one of the great games from Wii U, is being ported and comes in April.
Splatoon 2 comes soon also.
Probably everything that was good in Wii U will be ported, I suppose we will have a Smash4 port soon too.
The thing is selling well, so it has a serious possibility of becoming a success, that means there will be a lot of games coming.
With the Wii U you have the certainty of buying a dead console with a few good games.
With the Switch you are buying a portable console of superior capability, that already has many great games scheduled to release, and it has a big probability of becoming a success, it is not 100% certain but sure it is not dead on arrival.

Last edited by sarkwalvein,

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
http://www.polygon.com/2017/1/31/14452066/wii-u-discontinued - Notice it's January. It's still something new. Sony just NOW discontinued the PS3, what is it now? 2-3 years in to the PS4 lifecycle?
That's what bad the Wii U was for Nintendo. They did so many mistakes with this console but I think they learned a lot from it. Especially how much they worked together with 3rd party to develop for it.

Here are announced games for the Switch right now - http://www.ign.com/games/upcoming/nintendo-switch?filter=latest
Plus, the Switch is region free! Imports baby!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Like i said, i study and work. Partial time job so thats for paying my college and a little money that i save every month. Nothing big, i can save 50-75 $ a month.
Alright, here might the "piracy" argument bevalied. Since the Wii U is hacked, you can install pirated content on it.
As the Switch is brand new, well no. You can't at the moment.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is important for me. Like i said i dont use my money that often. And i dont mean if the Wii U is going to have games from now on or so, because like i said, if the options were Wii vs Wii U when the Wii U came out i wouldnt have a doubt in my mind about buying a Wii, i mean if is better for someone that just want to get a console for the next couple years.

I would like to know about this. I didnt know it.
It stopped production a month or so ago, hence the people saying it's dead.
I own the Wii U and the switch, and even with homebrew i haven't touched my Wii u in months. Imo only a few real noteworthy games to play on Wii U anyway, some of which have a similar game on 3ds anyway. Wii U has more games right now but only a fraction of them are worth while, and I've owned it for about a year and am already bored of what it has, which is basically all it will have at this point.

alexj9626

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Panama
i would be lying if i said that i don't won't to buy the switch. i want. just not now. maybe when the new mario will come out i will buy the switch cuz i love mario games.

I like what you said about being patient. I know im not a patient person lol but i think is a good idea. Anyway games are not the problem. Every console has good games, no matter how shity the console is. What i want is a good console that gives me a good experience.

It stopped production a month or so ago, hence the people saying it's dead.
I own the Wii U and the switch, and even with homebrew i haven't touched my Wii u in months. Imo only a few real noteworthy games to play on Wii U anyway, some of which have a similar game on 3ds anyway. Wii U has more games right now but only a fraction of them are worth while, and I've owned it for about a year and am already bored of what it has, which is basically all it will have at this point.

The big question is, do you think that would not happend with the Switch you have? You think a year from now you would still be using it? You tought that when you bought your Wii U?

sarkwalvein

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I like what you said about being patient. I know im not a patient person lol but i think is a good idea. Anyway games are not the problem. Every console has good games, no matter how shity the console is. What i want is a good console that gives me a good experience.
What do you want to know actually?
Build quality? Good games? Good gamepad?

The Wii U is a good console, with somewhat good build quality (horrible toy-like finishing but durable)... It loads very slooow. You have headaches sometime connecting an USB drive to it. But it works.

The good experiences last as much as the good games, there are only a few games. Most games don't use the gamepad screen for anything remarkable, so think of it as an oversized normal gamepad. I don't know what else you want to know from it. Mine is collecting dust since more than a year because it is a hassle to connect and I don't want to disconnect my XB1 or Nintendo Switch from the TV. The eShop is as slow as fuck.

D

Deleted User

i already have a wii u so it's a little easier for me to be patient than you. do what you feel is better for you.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

The big question is, do you think that would not happend with the Switch you have? You think a year from now you would still be using it? You tought that when you bought your Wii U?
I didn't think that when I bought the Wii U, because frankly I don't game a whole lot, even on a new system. But with the Switch I've been picking it up every day to play. And I can see it continuing through the year with the release schedule they currently have.

sarkwalvein

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The Switch is looking good because it is popular and is selling.
If it sells enough companies will make games for it, as they can make profit.
If there are new games in the future, sure I will keep using my Switch.
It all looks as if there will be games. What is announced right now, up to Xenoblade 2, gets me happy, but I have faith more will come.
The Switch is really comfortable to use as a portable, and also connected to the TV. But I recommend getting a Pro Controller and using that as much as you can (for TV mode). It is way more comfortable.

When I bought my Wii U (back in 2013), things didn't look so good, you were able to see marketing was horrible and the thing wasn't selling so well. Either way with some wishful thinking, and because Xenoblade X was announced to release, I bought it anyway.
Using some doublethink to make me know it was going to succeed while I knew it was sinking, I sure was able to make me believe I was going to use it a lot in the future, but well... that was stupid. Some good games released, but there were long times of nothing new, I really hated it. If you buy it today you will not suffer that, but I went through the whole experience of game drought... a fucking PoS of an experience. Worst buy ever.

jefffisher

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I could get a wii U for $75, I'd have ten of them not just one...
I haven't touched my Wii u since the day that disappointment Starfox came out, would not buy another one for $20
I seriously don't know how it's over $50 you could get GameCubes for $20 when the Wii came out and Wii's for $40 when the Wii u was released.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't touched my Wii u since the day that disappointment Starfox came out, would not buy another one for $20
I seriously don't know how it's over $50 you could get GameCubes for $20 when the Wii came out and Wii's for $40 when the Wii u was released.
I only played the first level of that game. Maybe 20 minutes total. Could not pick it up again, the controls are just awful.

gamemasteru03

Nintendo nerd
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I would just buy a switch here's why.
I am a massive nintendo fan and own a new3dsxl a wiiu and now a nintendo switch (that i brought on launch day!).
The switch is sepiror in every way considering the gimmicks and graphics. The graphics are better in zelda the main game you want to play. Best of all the switch is 100% mobile unlike the wiiu that you can play only single player and right next to the tv or it will dissconect. In terms of games the wiiu has more right now but the switch is going to have way more than it when it gets to the wiiu's age due to the switch so far outselling the wii (the original not the wiiu) when it was the switches age.(The wiiu was a massive failure). Also in a few months it might get hard to find wiiu games and online will shut down while the swirch will be getting games and growing the wiiu will be dying more.

Wiisel

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
As much as I'm loving my switch it has nothing I would want to play that my wiiu doesn't.
Despite a couple of exclusives the wiiu is basically an expensive wii, There's no great benefit in owning either unless you really have to have a couple of the exclusives although nows a good time to buy a wiiu if your not a pirate as the games are starting to sell dirt cheap.

Benja81

GBATemp Sporaddict
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You'd benefit more from the WiiU at this point, and can play 5-6 systems VC on the WiiU (3 of them natively)...but its not portable. Since you wont be able to get both and you want portable, I'd go with the Switch, since it will have some VC soon and obviously the only one that will have new 1st party games.

alexj9626

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Panama
As much as I'm loving my switch it has nothing I would want to play that my wiiu doesn't.
Despite a couple of exclusives the wiiu is basically an expensive wii, There's no great benefit in owning either unless you really have to have a couple of the exclusives although nows a good time to buy a wiiu if your not a pirate as the games are starting to sell dirt cheap.

Lets say Wii U and Switch both have the same games. What would you recommend?

You'd benefit more from the WiiU at this point, and can play 5-6 systems VC on the WiiU (3 of them natively)...but its not portable. Since you wont be able to get both and you want portable, I'd go with the Switch, since it will have some VC soon and obviously the only one that will have new 1st party games.

Kinda the same question. I dont care about games. Like i said every console have good games. Im sure Switch would get great games, so what would be the best purchase for the future?

Benja81

GBATemp Sporaddict
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lets say Wii U and Switch both have the same games. What would you recommend?

Kinda the same question. I dont care about games. Like i said every console have good games. Im sure Switch would get great games, so what would be the best purchase for the future?
Definitely money on Switch in that case.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Switch is getting Mario Kart 8 and Splatoon. Xenoblade is coming. PuyoPuyo Tetris is actually a lot of fun with friends. 1, 2 Switch needs a price drop, but otherwise fun. The "Switch has no games" argument is going to shit, quick.

Reactions: TheCyberQuake

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The Castlevania game was on the PS1 so that's cool +1