i can buy a switch model, not sure if it's good for mod

ValentDs

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
hello, i can buy from a guy a XAJ4003 switch model (a compatible one for the mod, right?) but it's updated to the 16.3 version, can i still mod it? only software or i need to do hardware things? i'm scared to break it, but there's some cool mods on switch impossible to do on emulator (for my knowledge) i already have a switch, but a later version and don't want to risk on my main console

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
You can mod all versions of the Switch. It's just that v1 can be softmodded and iPatched V1, V2, Lite and OLED require a modchip.

ValentDs

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
You can mod all versions of the Switch. It's just that v1 can be softmodded and iPatched V1, V2, Lite and OLED require a modchip.
yes, i would avoid a modchip tho. so this version i said could be still softmodded even with this recent update or still need a modchip? it's bonded by the update or hardware only?

linuxares

Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
only the hardware :)

It's "firmware" agnostic, so the RCM hack is only bootloader related. As long as Atmosphere is up to date, it most likely will work with the firmware.

For example if Nintendo release 17.0.0 it's most likely that SciresM must update Atmosphere for it to work on that firmware. But else it will work fine and Nintendo can't patch a bootloader bug since it's a ROM chip.

TLDR: Yes it will work. Only patched Switches need a modchip.

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yes, i would avoid a modchip tho. so this version i said could be still softmodded even with this recent update or still need a modchip? it's bonded by the update or hardware only?
Software mods on the switch are basically non-existent. Nintendo keeping their OS bare has done an amazing job for its security. I believe only 1 notable exploit has been found, and that was patched in firmware 3.0. On the hardware side though, they screwed up real hard using a stock chipset that vulnerabilities were known about.

ValentDs

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
ok, no modchip then. didn't fully get the RCM part tho, i read you need a way to ground pin 10 on the right joycon rail. so i need to do this the first time to mod the switch, and after installing atmoshere, i'll never need to deal with that again? i'll read better all the procedure later, but in short, 1 time only i need to do this and then permanent mod? i would've installed only via software with SD and PC, but if i need to use thay joycon exploit 1 time i can try. there's on amazon rcm jigs to avoid using screwdrives and other risk things or what those are for? still only using it one time or everytime i shut down and start up the whole switch?

ValentDs

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
that's a nice tutorial. i took a fast look, so i can use the erista unpatched one, and buy a RCM jig (they are all the same? can you name/link to me a good one?) to do the process, the rest is only SD and PC as i wanted.
my only last question (probably the answer was later in the set up) i need RCM jig everytime, or it's 1 time only to the install, similar to the 3ds mod at the start? once installed/done all the process, when i open my switch it's always modded? (i mean, even if i shut down all the switch and not sleep mode). for the updated OFW switch, i just update atmosphere right?
this reminds me the old wii days, i think i will buy it then, and not want to put a modchip on my smash elimited switch

linuxares

Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
For a jig its hard to link you one. Just find one on Ebay or Amazon. Heck if you feel spicy just use a paper clip and enable AutoRCM in Hekate. You will never need a jig again. So at most I would say it's just a one time use.

No, the Switch doesn't have a coldboot mod. You need to inject a payload each time you turn it completely off and then on again. This is one of the upsides with a modchip but it's less of a risk with RCM.

ValentDs

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
ok, so i can leave switch sleep mode and it always work without issues (maybe i'll shut down just sometimes and re-inject that payload)
for the jig i just asked because i saw different version (the classic "dongle" form i saw at low price, but even one similar to a dock bigger, i think it's the little red the one i need), so there's no different versions for different switch models

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: BO1 is good, all 3 modes are good in that game