Should gift cards be shredded when disposing of them?

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 3,398
  • Replies 7
D

Deleted User

OP
Most of us will shred or burn documents like bank statements to prevent our personal details going into the wrong hands. I doubt you should bother with iTunes cards, Nintendo eShop cards and so on but I'm asking anyway.

Amaljaa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
No?
There's even sites online where you can sell unused giftcards. You're probably fine. It's not like when purchasing one you have to give your address or anything. The only exception I can think of is some types of disposable credit cards.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
i keep them.
3 really good reasons:
1, to track the money i waste. (it's easy to reach hundreds wasted if you are bad with money)
2, if my account gets stolen i can use them to easily provide proof that i am the owner. i had to do this with steam a couple of times. and they are insurance that my account can't never get lost to a thief.
this reason is also valid in other online stores you bought using theese cards, they are always a good proof of ownership\purchase.
3 they are small, they can be easily stored somewhere, i put my steam cards inside my retail pc games

protip: write with a pencil how much money is left in the card, or if it's empty.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

No?
There's even sites online where you can sell unused giftcards. You're probably fine. It's not like when purchasing one you have to give your address or anything. The only exception I can think of is some types of disposable credit cards.
pretty much, but its always good to make them unusable\unreadable related of my second reason of keeping them.
if "your cousin" or "friend" got a hold of your steam cards, they can contact steam and claim ownership of your account..
it's kinda hard to do, but it's possible...

i remember in the past, i am not sure if it's still done nowadays but people when buying\getting stolen accounts they buy cheap shit in them, then use this purchases to claim the account as theirs... some ocasions the original owner can't provide proof of payment (because he didn't kept receipts\spent gift cards) and the theft is "confirmed owner"

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Some gift cards can look up remaining balance and historical transactions. What that could tie to a given person probably varies with company (did you finish the balance of the bill with a credit card/debit card? Did you have something you ordered online with it and in turn shipped to your address?). If I am raiding a company for info I would consider a gift card sales database a reasonable valuable target, I could see it have some value. Whether I would seek such things for a general attack I don't know and for a spear phishing thing it would only be part of the general dragnet.

I would not feel bad about not taking steps to destroy them when disposing of them, and at the same time most shredders I see have a card function so there is that. It may also depend what you do with them -- get my book shop card I got for Christmas a few years back and you will find out I at least buy scifi, science, engineering and fantasy books, however a couple of years back some "anonymous" data was released by netflix and you can read the rest https://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/12/21/netflix_privacy_flap/ .

Mr_Reaper

Newcomer
Trophies
The dark endless abyss of empty eternal oblivion.
Website
tinyvast.com
XP
Country
United States
Gift cards should be shredded as soon as you receive them, preferably right in front of the person who gave them to you.

I hate getting gift cards.

It's like, "Here, it's just like money... that you can ONLY spend in ONE STORE!"

Of course, the real reason anyone gives you a gift card is because they are afraid that if they gave you money, you'd spend it all on drugs. True fact.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Gift cards should be shredded as soon as you receive them, preferably right in front of the person who gave them to you.

I hate getting gift cards.

It's like, "Here, it's just like money... that you can ONLY spend in ONE STORE!"

Of course, the real reason anyone gives you a gift card is because they are afraid that if they gave you money, you'd spend it all on drugs. True fact.
Keep trying, one day you might be as amusing as

i like keeping them to throw them like cards because their hard as fuck and are able to hurt people
Amateur

Reactions: DKB

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @a_username_that_is_cool, happy birthdayn't