Hacking Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner - Translation nearly complete, looking for hackers

Frequency_Modulation

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey GBATemp! For the past year or so, myself and another fellow have been working on a translation of this long-lost game in the SMT series, and it's nearly complete.

You can check out the work done so far here: http://pastebin.com/LHKVLNQB
It's under 'Devil Summoner', with script sheets #1-6, and #7 being the final one which is still in progress.

Also, weapon names: http://pastebin.com/ktXkpNa1
And armor names: http://pastebin.com/urQeU7Ed

So, I was curious if anyone in the scene here would be interested in the hacking portion of this. Me and the other translator are only good with the language aspects, and it seems a shame to think that the game would be entirely translated but simply not implemented, given its importance to the game in the series that was localized over here, Soul Hackers.

Ideally we'd want someone who can interface with the Japanese involved in a small way, but anyone willing to try would be appreciated!

fleed

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hope someone helps you, P2:EP and this game are in my top PSP translation wishes hehe. I've even been using this game to learn romhacking so this translation's a big help. Have you two considered working on the the Compendium for Devil Summoner & Soul Hackers? It's more of a database with higher resolution sprites and backstory (I think the Soul Hackers one has a sound drama).

Frequency_Modulation

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not really necessary, as World Guidance already has most of that, at least for the first Devil Summoner. And Soul Hackers is already out in English, so that shouldn't be too high a priority.

Goofy Time

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fingers and toes crossed on something like this finishing. There are a handful of noteworthy SMT games still left entirely in Japanese - the first two games in the series, this, the Majin Tensei games, If..

I know Devil Summoner is often ignored, and I've literally never heard of a translation project for the game until this very thread. I may not be able to understand Japanese, so the only thing I could possibly do is offer my time to test stuff out, if that's desired.

Best of luck on getting one of the last major Japan-only SMT games in English!

Diag

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
soul hackers was really awesome and nearly so good like the persona games.. i really hope someone will pick this up and can make a translation patch, it looks interessteing :)

Reactions: Abu_Senpai

AcidicPegasus92

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try soul hackers on 3ds while your waiting since that game was awesome and is unrelated to first one plotwise.
I'll be sure to play it! I'm also buying devil survivor overclocked and nocturne. I recently bought smt 4 and it's pretty fun. I also just started the digital devil story games as well.

Reactions: Abu_Senpai

Abu_Senpai

Trophies
XP
Country
Syria
I'll be sure to play it! I'm also buying devil survivor overclocked and nocturne. I recently bought smt 4 and it's pretty fun. I also just started the digital devil story games as well.

Nocturne and The DDS games are on my laptop waiting to be played. Definately play Smt final after smt iv since it is kind of a sequel to it

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll reformat and have a 3tb raid0 m. 2 at least
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lmao that sold out fast
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeet the cat.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Good idea
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i thought everybody knew cocktails are like 75% ice
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah but not like this.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not like they're complaining that their Slurpee is 99% ice or something, but if the cocktail calls for "shot of vodka, shot of vermouth, shot of gin, shot of Campari, three shots of juice, squirt of lemon" and ends up being a thimbleful of booze, that's a problem.
    the funny thing is cocktails in norway are only allowed to have 1 20ml shot of booze
    so..... yeah
    we're used to only having a thimbleful of booze
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Booo.
    same thing if you want whisky on the rocks or something, you can't get a double
    but you could buy as many shots of whisky (or anything else) as you want and ask for a glass of ice and pour them in
    it's dumb
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Maybe.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There was a comparison of the number of Ibuprofen poisonings before and after they limited the maximum dosage per box or per pill (i'll look that up). No limit on the number of boxes you can still buy as many as you want, so people argued it was pointless.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But the number of (accidental) poisonings dropped because drinking an entire package of ibuprofen pills went from "I need a new liver" to "I need a new box of Ibuprofen".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Here we have ketoprofen that used to be prescription-only because of the risk of toxic dosages, but then they halved the dose per pill and sell them in bottles of six pills apiece instead of twenty and it doesn't need a prescription any more. Yes you can buy more than one bottle but people simply don't.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Usually accidentally overdose of ibuprofen here is from people taking like cold medicine then ibuprofen for a headache and the combination is over what they need
    Veho @ Veho: https://imgur.com/gallery/QQkYnQu