Sega is in the bidding for Atlus

CompassNorth

Denko (´・ω・`)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I really hope this is the case.
I don't really see any gaming companies bidding + 200 million.

Nintendo? Surely not. Nintendo sold 160,000 Wii U consoles in the second quarter.

Then let's think of another gaming giant Square Enix. Square Enix is another company that is not in a position to bid that amount of money because they too are losing money. Their stocks have been so bad in the recent years former CEO Yoichi Wada committed corporate seppuku due to how bad Square was doing. Square believed that if you put a ton of money on a project, that you will get more in return. Eidos made some fantastic games, but despite the games being good Square still lost money.

The only gaming company that can buy them is EA. They'll probably buy Atlus and rename them to BioWare japan where they'll make Jade Empire 2
Western gaming companies doesn't care about jRPGS.

Not only that but let's say a gaming company does have $200m +/whatever the bid is now and end up buying Atlus, that'll be a huge chunk of their game development budget and that'll result to a rushed game(Xenogears) or an unfinished one. Then that leads to games doing poorly on the market and the company going down yatta yatta yatta.

I'm still going with a holding company winning the bid.

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Nintendo? Surely not. Nintendo sold 160,000 Wii U consoles in the second quarter.

Then let's think of another gaming giant Square Enix. Square Enix is another company that is not in a position to bid that amount of money because they too are losing money. Their stocks have been so bad in the recent years former CEO Yoichi Wada committed corporate seppuku due to how bad Square was doing. Square believed that if you put a ton of money on a project, that you will get more in return. Eidos made some fantastic games, but despite the games being good Square still lost money.

The only gaming company that can buy them is EA. They'll probably buy Atlus and rename them to BioWare japan where they'll make Jade Empire 2
Western gaming companies doesn't care about jRPGS.

Not only that but let's say a gaming company does have $200m +/whatever the bid is now and end up buying Atlus, that'll be a huge chunk of their game development budget and that'll result to a rushed game(Xenogears) or an unfinished one. Then that leads to games doing poorly on the market and the company going down yatta yatta yatta.

I just hope Walmart buys them so we can have the Rollback smiley face dude as a new demon. Maybe if you do a quad-fusion of the four Mitamas.

[lol]

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
I'm hoping the ones who win them is actually an unknown company with a sense of respect for video games

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
[some good logic]

Though I am not in a hurry to discount the holding company/investment group buyout 200 million is not at all out of reach of a combined cash, shares and finance deal (interest rates are rather low in Japan right now after all).

I'm hoping the ones who win them is actually an unknown company with a sense of respect for video games
If [lol] gets the wish granted can I also have a flying horse (not a pegasus).

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
What's your source for this?:hrth:
I was just kidding around (hence the creepy smiley). It was based on the fact that Sega notoriously does all its games mainly for Nintendo platforms nowadays, and it wouldn't be farfetched to think of Nintendo taking such an huge exclusive for itself from Sega's hands. Nothing real for now, sadly :(

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States

The Wii U isn't everything, you know. Nintendo still posted a gain this fiscal year, and at least one study has shown that, if they posted a loss like last year's every year, it would take them till the mid 2050s to completely run out of money. They're pretty freaking rich.

Reactions: TyBlood13

pokefloote

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, from my point of view I'd prefer if the ones to get them were Nintendo, since they localise the majority of their games in Europe, unlike what Atlus and Sega currently do (and also because I'm looking forward to SMT X FE).

Sony would also be ok if they got them, however I would prefer to continue getting SMT games on the 3DS (and if Sony got them the mysterious Persona game being made for the 3DS would be canned).

And no, I'm not concerned about Nintendo censoring the stuff like many think they would because Nintendo isn't that dumb (an example is metroid, the last FE and some others).

In Fire Emblem they censored Tharja's bikini butt and that's the worse kind of censoring. :c

CompassNorth

Denko (´・ω・`)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just hope Walmart buys them so we can have the Rollback smiley face dude as a new demon. Maybe if you do a quad-fusion of the four Mitamas.
It would be glorious.

His Almighty skill will be the 'Price Cut Guarantee" and another skill will summon the Wal-Mart worker's union to inflict all status effects on the enemy.

The Wii U isn't everything, you know. Nintendo still posted a gain this fiscal year, and at least one study has shown that, if they posted a loss like last year's every year, it would take them till the mid 2050s to completely run out of money. They're pretty freaking rich.
I know it's not everything, but I don't see Nintendo bidding that high when they should focus on the Wii U.

luigiman1928

Most original Custom Title
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sega buying Atlus? Sega has a partnership with Nintendo. Means maybe more Atlus titles on Wii U. More good games for Wii U. Two capitalized letters in Wii U. Atlus has five letters overall. 5 - 2 = 3

Half-Life 3 confirmed..... For Wii U?

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Sega buying Atlus? Sega has a partnership with Nintendo. Means maybe more Atlus titles on Wii U. More good games for Wii U. Two capitalized letters in Wii U. Atlus has five letters overall. 5 - 2 = 3

Half-Life 3 confirmed..... For Wii U?
I'm pretty sure that partnership is specifically for the Sonic games...

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
In Fire Emblem they censored Tharja's bikini butt and that's the worse kind of censoring. :c
They only did that in the US, Europe didn't have that censorship so as far as I'm concerned, it wasn't Nintendo's choice but rather NoA's choice. (since unlike NoA, NoE is pretty much controlled by NoJ directly).

I know it's not everything, but I don't see Nintendo bidding that high when they should focus on the Wii U.
Well, in order to sell more systems they need more games and while the RPG genre isn't that big in the west, it's huge in Japan and well, most games that Atlus themselves make, usually sell quite a bit over there, if they managed to buy Atlus and get the exclusivity for their games, a lot of people would buy a Wii U or 3DS just to play them (for example a P5 or another SMT game on the Wii U). That would eventually lead to profit and while not instantaneously, it'd eventually show the results.

Chaossaturn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"SEGA are among 20 companies looking to buy Index Corporations operations, who went into bankruptcy a few weeks ago."

I wonder who the other 19 companies are? I think it would be cool if nintendo or sony bought them but we see.

stae1234

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"SEGA are among 20 companies looking to buy Index Corporations operations, who went into bankruptcy a few weeks ago."

I wonder who the other 19 companies are? I think it would be cool if nintendo or sony bought them but we see.

I'm guessing SoftBank is one of them. Softbank is a giant company thats pretty much Japanese equivalent of AT&T, and they hold Gungho primarily known for hosting Online game servers.
(they ran servers for Ragnarok, SMT Imagine, etc.) and they had extremely huge hit with Puzzle and Dragon, and I've read somewhere they're looking into expanding the gaming area.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: though my mom has documents here on my pc